MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 20th, 2012 at 8:15:07 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

The AP's at poker would frustrate Dan.

One cannot be an AP poker player. "A" only means advantage over the house. If you have an advantage over other players in a poker game, you're just better than they are.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 20th, 2012 at 8:55:10 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

One cannot be an AP poker player. "A" only means advantage over the house. If you have an advantage over other players in a poker game, you're just better than they are.

Advantage gambling, or advantage play, refers to a practice of using legal ways to gain a mathematical advantage while gambling. The term usually refers to house-banked games, but can also refer to games played against other players, such as poker. Someone who practices advantage gambling is often referred to as an advantage player, or AP.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
September 20th, 2012 at 9:09:07 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Why?

He's making fun of Dan's vexation with often self-righteous advantage play against the house (you know, the folks who set up the game for you, who depend on the minuscule edge to keep it going, who get paid no matter who wins at poker).
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 20th, 2012 at 10:06:01 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Advantage gambling, or advantage play, refers to a practice of using legal ways to gain a mathematical advantage while gambling. The term usually refers to house-banked games, but can also refer to games played against other players, such as poker. Someone who practices advantage gambling is often referred to as an advantage player, or AP.

I think you could apply several labels to a successful poker player, but "advantage player" wouldn't be one of them, any more than beating your buddy in any other semi-random multi-player contest makes you an "advantage player". Golf, backgammon, gin rummy, billiards, etc. If you're better than someone else and you repeatedly convince them to lose money to you, you're not an AP. You're a hustler. So let's just leave it at I disagree with Wikipedia.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
September 21st, 2012 at 3:56:40 PM permalink
Congrats on getting out Dan, and I hope your health holds. Ill have a drink to your retirement, which happens to fall on my birthday, and wish you all the best.

I have skipped most of this thread, and was just wondering, what are your future plans?
[This space is intentionally left blank]
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 21st, 2012 at 5:01:58 PM permalink
"advantage player" just sound so much more dignified than card shark or hustler. Why should BJ players be the only ones allowed to take the high road ? I mean hustler is so old school. Hey, does anyone even hustle pool anymore ?
  • Jump to: