odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 31st, 2012 at 5:32:27 PM permalink
Don't ask me why I am in a mood to write this.

But this weekend we had some good guacamole at a local restaurant... DC area Guapa's [at Shirlington]... I'd rate this as 8.5 on a ten point scale, where it usually is, they are consistent there. An extra side order as always, to go with appetizer and entree both. I keep thinking about how good it was, several days later. Love the stuff.

Not the best I ever had though, that was at Oyamel in DC where they made it at the table for us. Not a place I can afford to eat at all the time, but that I'd have to put at 9.9 on a ten, leaving a little room for doubt that maybe someone could make it better [it'd be hard].

Yeah, life can be good.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 31st, 2012 at 5:35:46 PM permalink
Don't show Nareed this thread. :)

Why don't you make it yourself? Avocados are in season now. Just make sure they are ripe. If you get green ones, leave them out on the table until they get black-ish. Then scoop out the flesh, add sea salt, garlic, and lemon and/or lime juice, and mash. I like to add some dried red chili pepper for heat, but that is up to you. It's to die for. Those table-side waiters don't have any special technique you can't emulate.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 31st, 2012 at 5:37:55 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Don't show Nareed this thread :)

Too late. And I swear I was not going to comment on it.

Quote:

Why don't you make it yourself? Avocados are in season now.

And it went all downhill from there.... :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
July 31st, 2012 at 6:08:16 PM permalink

Don't show Nareed this thread. :)

Why don't you make it yourself? Avocados are in season now. Just make sure they are ripe. If you get green ones, leave them out on the table until they get black-ish. Then scoop out the flesh, add sea salt, garlic, and lemon and/or lime juice, and mash. I like to add some dried red chili pepper for heat, but that is up to you. It's to die for. Those table-side waiters don't have any special technique you can't emulate.

omg.. u can eat an Avocado just like a banana? peel and eat.
for some reason never realized that.

and the only difference between Avocados and guac is garlic/onion/lime juice?

Off to Costco!
peel an Avocado, add garlic + onion powder, and dip into a small bowl of lime juice.

how much are they? (costco package of 3lbs of guac is $8)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
teddys
teddys
July 31st, 2012 at 6:21:55 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

omg.. u can eat an Avocado just like a banana? peel and eat.
for some reason never realized that.

and the only difference between Avocados and guac is garlic/onion/lime juice?

Off to Costco!
peel an Avocado, add garlic + onion powder, and dip into a small bowl of lime juice.

how much are they? (costco package of 3lbs of guac is $8)

I wouldn't eat it like that. They are best mashed with a fork with the garlic/lime/salt + whatever. Don't let me stop you, however. The only necessary ingredient is salt. Salt+avo=guac. Next you can add garlic/lime, and staircase up from there. (Some people like cilantro, or even pico de gallo mixed in. Mango is a surprisingly good addition as well.) Eat it quickly! (That shouldn't be a problem, usually.)

I can usually get one nice-sized avocado for a dollar around here, or 3 small ones for a dollar.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 31st, 2012 at 6:36:27 PM permalink
You can add creamyness to guac with a dash of Ranch, or olive oil, or creamy horseradish sauce, taco sauce, sweet chili sauce, etc.

The lime juice keeps it from turning brown btw, for those who don't know. And lends a fresh tang.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
August 1st, 2012 at 12:29:04 PM permalink

I wouldn't eat it like that. They are best mashed with a fork with the garlic/lime/salt + whatever. Don't let me stop you, however. The only necessary ingredient is salt. Salt+avo=guac. Next you can add garlic/lime, and staircase up from there. (Some people like cilantro, or even pico de gallo mixed in. Mango is a surprisingly good addition as well.) Eat it quickly! (That shouldn't be a problem, usually.)

I can usually get one nice-sized avocado for a dollar around here, or 3 small ones for a dollar.

why go thru 1 extra step of mashing it?
add salt to the peeled avacado and eat like a hard boiled egg?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 1st, 2012 at 1:27:12 PM permalink
It does seem to matter what gets added, the stuff can vary, some is not so good.

Cilantro is key?

Thanks for the advice, but if I was to make it at home, it would be better if my wife was also as crazy about it. It's the sort of thing to be shared. She likes it OK, and she would go along with it if I made a batch, but...
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
August 1st, 2012 at 2:02:51 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

why go thru 1 extra step of mashing it?
add salt to the peeled avacado and eat like a hard boiled egg?

Gets more flavor the more you agitate it. Plus, more exposure of the avo meat to the seasoning.

Cilantro is not key and in fact a lot of people don't like cilantro. I like cilantro in almost everything else but not in guacamole.
  • Jump to: