July 12th, 2012 at 1:19:48 PM permalink
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union was started in the
1870's and was appalled at the number of women and children
who were abused at the hands of European immigrant
alcoholics. So they went on a campaign that ended up being
Prohibition. It was rife with half truths and outright lies,
but the facts couldn't be denied. Immigrants from Europe did
drink far more than Americans at the time and many of them
were serial abusers of their women and children.

Its still in the culture today that the Irish and Germans and Eastern
European's are hard core 'two fisted drinkers'. Whats the
point of St Patricks Day? To get falling down drunk.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 12th, 2012 at 2:53:56 PM permalink
MADD is the modern equivalent of the Temperance Movement. The originator quit as (at least south of the border) the movement has become anti-drinking, rather than anti-drink driving.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 12th, 2012 at 3:19:08 PM permalink
Whats the
point of St Patricks Day? To get falling down drunk.

I guess I am wrong again. I thought the point was to beat up a Protestant !
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
July 12th, 2012 at 3:48:49 PM permalink
Back to weird laws...but I remember being in Mass. in the early 2000's and trying to buy beer after 6pm and everything was closed....does that sound possible?...or am I remembering it wrong. This was on Cape Cod if it matters.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 12th, 2012 at 4:10:56 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

We lack a definition of "drinker."

It can mean anything from people who get drunk every day, to people who have had at least one drink in their lives.

We also need to categorize drinkers. Alcoholics are very different from people who drink daily with meals

I botched up those statistics. The file I was looking at froze, and I didn't get all the data descriptions correct. The World Health Organization report is complex with dozens of defined terms. Needless to say, drinking is very heavy in Russia and many places in Europe. The British are much heavier drinkers than the Italians, Greeks, and Spanish where there is a traditional wine drinking culture.

Outside of Germany, beer drinking is pretty heavy all through the Americas (primarily USA, Mexico, and Brazil)

In the Americas 27.4% of Women are lifetime abstainers, and 15.2% of men. But the numbers double for people who haven't had a drink in the last 12 months to 49.8% of women, and 33% of men.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 12th, 2012 at 7:20:28 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

MADD is the modern equivalent of the Temperance Movement. The originator quit as (at least south of the border) the movement has become anti-drinking, rather than anti-drink driving.

I'm a member of DAMM....Drunks Against Mad Mothers.

I drink. Sometimes I drive. But like anything else in life, you have to practice every day at it to get good enough to beat the competition. My competition, who keep screwin' up, are ruining it for everyone else, IMO. I stay clear of the roads on Amateur Nights, like NYE, SuperBowl, Halloween, etc. Gotta be smart about it if you want to avoid Johnny Law. Oh, and death...gotta avoid death too.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
INkyatari
INkyatari
  • Threads: 7
July 13th, 2012 at 6:26:39 PM permalink
In my town, only liquor stores and bars can sell liquor. The independent liquor lobby is strong in my small town of 12,000, and they constantly keep the pressure on to keep grocery stores and gas stations from selling it.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
January 12th, 2018 at 4:51:47 PM permalink
Apparently in Wisconsin it's legal to bring your child to a bar, and it's even legal for the child to consume alcohol in public, so long as there's a parent, legal guardian, or spouse (of legal age) supervising the child.

• Jump to: