thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 15th, 2012 at 10:34:32 AM permalink
I think the MLB needs to investigate the number of no hitters this year and the last. Baseball that is pitching duels is a bit of a curate's egg.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 15th, 2012 at 10:45:05 AM permalink
What pisses me off, thats what the chalk on the ground IS FOR. When they can clearly SEE a ball imprint on the chalk......FAIR BALL.

Ken
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
June 16th, 2012 at 2:07:55 AM permalink
No, it was a scorer's judgement call. The probability of a conventional fielded play was at best with a perfect throw 50/50.
The scorer made the correct call "Tough chance base hit." Wright made the best play he could, and again it was at very best 50/50.
Lets take the Humans out of the game except for the Players/Managers. NO, NOT.

I am a Mets fan since '65. Now Gallaraga's perfecto spoiled is totally diferent, and is a blown call. No excuse for that, and I feel it should have been overturned by the Commissioner using very special language.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
June 16th, 2012 at 2:16:42 AM permalink
Quote:

I think the MLB needs to investigate the number of no hitters this year and the last. Baseball that is pitching duels is a bit of a curate's egg.

This just in... it seems that testing has scared off a few dozen hitters. Pitchers are taking advantage
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 16th, 2012 at 2:25:17 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

No, it was a scorer's judgement call. The probability of a conventional fielded play was at best with a perfect throw 50/50.
The scorer made the correct call "Tough chance base hit." Wright made the best play he could, and again it was at very best 50/50.
Lets take the Humans out of the game except for the Players/Managers. NO, NOT.

This call, as noted above, could have been changed by the scorer or by the League President.

"The official scorer shall make all decisions concerning judgment calls within 24 hours after a game concludes or is suspended. A player or club may request that the League President review a judgment call of an official scorer made in a game in which such player or club participated, by notifying the League President in writing or by approved electronic means within 24 hours of the conclusion or suspension of such game, or within 24 hours of the official scorerís call, in the event the official scorer changes a call within 24 hours after a game concludes or is suspended, as provided in this Rule 10.01(a). "

Official RulesExample

Quote: 98Clubs

I am a Mets fan since '65. Now Gallaraga's perfecto spoiled is totally diferent, and is a blown call. No excuse for that, and I feel it should have been overturned by the Commissioner using very special language.

While it was a horrid call, there is no "real" method to overturn it save him doing something like you have suggested. It is too bad he lost a perfect game on a blown call but, without expansion of replay, calls by umpires that are in error will stand.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 18th, 2012 at 1:01:22 PM permalink
Its kind of like the narrow YELLOW fencing for home runs. Its there for a REASON, correct? On one side, a HR....the other side, not a HR.....if it hits the YELLOW, its a HR. This isn't tough fellas.

The chalk is there for a REASON.

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.....call.

A no hitter? (LMAO) Hell no.

Ken
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
June 19th, 2012 at 8:23:08 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Are the scorers members of the BBWAA? I'd never thought of them as writers before, but I suppose they do write a version of the story of the game.

Oops I stand corrected, it appears the BBWAA membership is no longer required. (Originally the official scorers were the local beat writers, etc)

I learned how to score games at a very young age for my dad's fastpitch softball team. I never had to 'prove' the box score though so I never learned that skill. I imagine computers do that now.

I applied to be a Stats Stringer for the Seattle Mariners one summer but did not get a call back.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 19th, 2012 at 9:33:06 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

Its kind of like the narrow YELLOW fencing for home runs. Its there for a REASON, correct? On one side, a HR....the other side, not a HR.....if it hits the YELLOW, its a HR. This isn't tough fellas.

The chalk is there for a REASON.

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.....call.

A no hitter? (LMAO) Hell no.

Ken

Bad calls happen. It's the human part of the game. It was a terrible call. But if automate everything, is it still the same game? Players drop catches, umpires drop decisions.

Not as terrible as Galarraga being robbed of his perfect game :

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100602&content_id=10727590&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=det
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: