NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 22nd, 2011 at 9:23:15 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

I tell you Nareed, the word "like" is gone ... it's all "literally" all the time now ... even "Valley Girl" speak has substituted "literally" for "like" ... joke all you want ... but this is so far beyond a joke ... watch for it on the evening news tonight ... in the subway ... while walking in the park ... even the space aliens are using it ... it's a virus eating away at our common consciousness ...

Literally!
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
November 22nd, 2011 at 10:55:04 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

The majority of the people that I have conversations with are not the type to overuse the word "literally"... or perhaps to even use the word at all.

I think you mean "literally all of the people..."
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 23rd, 2011 at 5:19:53 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

The other day, I overheard a phone conversation between her and a friend of hers, discussing how a third friend had "no earthly idea of how to properly use a gerund".

For the life of me, I can't think of how to improperly use a gerund, let alone have "no earthly idea of how to use one properly". Some people say you shouldn't start a sentence with a gerund, but I honestly don't see the problem. Some very good literate writers have started sentences with a gerund.

Parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it literally be morrow.

Ask your wife how you improperly use a gerund.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 23rd, 2011 at 6:49:52 PM permalink
Is "gerund" an esoteric nickname for a sex toy?

• Jump to: