AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 18th, 2018 at 9:15:52 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

But it also keeps track of things that were posted prior to my last visit but which I haven't yet read. That's a lot to keep track of and load every time I visit the forum.

This is not done with any client-side data (e.g. cookies). It is done server side. I didn't write the code but you can infer this from the behavior. Sign in on a brand new device, and the site will still know what topics you have read and which you haven't. When you are signed in and open a topic, it keeps track of the latest post in that thread that you have read. When a newer post than that one is created, the thread goes back to unread for you (and clicking it will helpfully take you to the beginning of your unread posts).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
December 18th, 2018 at 10:02:36 AM permalink
I agree, AcesAndEights. I didn't think cookies were involved, other than perhaps to automatically log in my userID. I just expect that each time I do visit the forum, the server has to check my ID and look up what I have read in each thread that appears in the recent-threads list so that it can display the thread properly in that list. I suspect that takes some time, which may account for the slower startup when a user is signed in, compared to an anonymous visit.
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 37
December 18th, 2018 at 10:11:54 AM permalink
Has not worked for me for two days on my Android phone. Little wheel shows the site is loading and it never loads.

Works fine from this PC (Chrome, with ad-block and duck-duck-go).
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 91
December 18th, 2018 at 4:16:12 PM permalink
my phone Is still not working and it does not work on chrome. I just logged in using edge and it works. Actually it works faster on edge than I have ever seen.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
December 18th, 2018 at 7:38:16 PM permalink
PokerGrinder got in touch otherwise, says he has been unable to access the site for 2 days via his phone.

As I was typing this, he said he did what Bleeding chips said to do upthread, and that fixed it for him.

Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

IOS 12.1.2 Safari. Working again after deleting web site data for wizardofvegas.com only.

Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Website Data

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 29
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
December 18th, 2018 at 9:28:23 PM permalink
I've got an old firefox (61.0.4) and the first page I go to ( https://wizardofvegas.com/forums/ ) has stayed in loading mode, but clicking the recent threads box ( goes to https://wizardofvegas.com/recent/ ) works.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
December 18th, 2018 at 11:19:58 PM permalink
Works after doing Ctrl+F5.

Btw, now the format is back to how it was. Before doing that, the forum stuff was at far left of screen. Like now (and how it had been before), the forum contents were centered. Then for a short period of time it was left aligned. And now it's back to center. Black magic if you ask me.

BTW2: Can you make Alt+S be a hotkey to post? I hate having to click that button.

Oh and quick-reply. Add that plx, it's G.O.A.T.
# Свободный Натан
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 37
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
December 19th, 2018 at 6:31:39 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Works after doing Ctrl+F5.

Still does not work on my Android/Chrome.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 91
December 19th, 2018 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
working on my droid and chrome now. It also loads super fast again
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 192
December 19th, 2018 at 4:29:32 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

working on my droid and chrome now. It also loads super fast again

Oh I see you're about to knock Odiousgambit off the top ten perch, not that anyone cares. 4 more posts to 7830. It's interesting to see when you would show up, my guess not until 7831.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves

• Jump to: