2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

nogojoe
nogojoe
  • Threads: 1
September 3rd, 2016 at 6:22:58 PM permalink
NO G2E 4ME

It's Labor Day, not Veterans day. But I am still pissed. Retire6 16 years ago. Overplayed my hand. Forgot on the good die young. Wife is diabetic, daughter is Schizoaffective. Other daughters husband had to go to Salt lake to find work. Byebye daughter and 6 grand daughters. Colorado unemployment is 3.3%, Mesa County is 6.8% 8 of top 10 taxpayers are in energy industery. County has hiring freeze.
Forget about $15 minimum wage. $10 is good here, $12 is great, 415 and above, congrats on masters degree. I pull down 32k, me and spouse social security. Know off 9k for mediare, gap, prescription insurance another 6k for prescriptions plus donut hole. Og coures gross 2 high to get any help, but am surviving. HERE COME THE GRIPE

Several weeks ago I applied for housekeeping aide job at VA hospital. The application wanted a ton of skills, but I worked 4 year at Wilford Hall Hospital in USAF. Owned a cleaning franchise in 1980's Had contracts for Lexus dealership, day care centers, executive offices. Did floor and carpet care. also had 2 year cleaning contract in industrial plant. Plus this job ad was not on regular usa job sites. Had a backdoor link from VA site. Job was only available to a vet and I had 5 bonus points as Vietnam Era vet. Looking good.

A week later wife suggested I apply at a telemarketing inbound call center here. Applied on line. got a call back, said sounded like I was over-qualified. Told him it was hard times, entry job might lead to something else in the company. GREAT
Interview a day later, 2 test on machine, aced both, in person interview with role playing, girl said I did great. Wait in Lobby. Called back in, told has to go by HR, but expect a call within 24 hours for urine test and background check. Told wife, dont schedule nothing tomorrow. At 8:01 get email SORRY you are not qualified. MY ASS. I have friends working there doing forced overtime. Plus my daughter, different last name. wants to get off SSI and has been working there a month.

Damn, time to check on VA job, cant talk to anyone here, get reply from VA job offered to somebody else. Population in the city is 28,000. Job discretely advertised , only veterans can apply, and I don't make the cut for an interview WTF
Have seen job ads written for a friend, this even had forklift operator listed. I operate same at my church food bank. Served offer 100 families, 2 I know are vets, 1 that I had to rearrange things in his car to get food boxes in it, as it is his home now.

Thinking about filing at VA on discrimination. And a state filing for call center. Hate ligitation, but I mean, I have to believe it my age on application was 36 and not 76, I would have been interviewed for VA and hired at call center. Don't expect to win a damn thing, but maybe somebody will think twice in the future.

Figured getting a job would be a no brainer after reading about VA job, and call center, hell they had a cattle call last week.
178K on nissan sentra, was planning on buying a car before G2E, paying a friend for math work he did, visit grandkids in Salt Lake. GRRRRRRRRR

Feel free to PM if you have any input good or bad REALLY
nogojoe
nogojoe
  • Threads: 1
September 3rd, 2016 at 6:34:07 PM permalink
PS healthy as a horse Take no meds Lift 50lb food boxes easily at food bank. Workout at Golds Gym several days a week. Frequently asked if I qualify for senior discount (55) at retail stores.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 3rd, 2016 at 7:30:09 PM permalink
Buzz,

Really sorry you're getting all those doors slammed in your face. Truly. I'm sure you're right about the ageism. I hate to pile on, but see ya.

Could you Please do what's necessary if it's possible to get your good standing back? I hate this.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 3rd, 2016 at 9:06:33 PM permalink
Look at it from their side, Buzz. Would you hire somebody
you don't know, in their mid 70's, to do anything except
maybe stand at Walmart and curse at people as they
came in? Like grandpa on the Simpsons.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 3rd, 2016 at 9:54:47 PM permalink
I don't know how those places don't hire everyone who wants to work if they advertise no experience required. It is very easy to be too intelligent for those jobs.
I am a robot.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
September 3rd, 2016 at 11:59:54 PM permalink
I see it differently.

Since I was sure Mr. Buzzard would be totally overjoyed to hear from his very most favorite member here ever and will no doubt be hanging on every word (or maybe not) I went to the back of the closet to dig out my old dark blue stuffy pompous looking employer's suit, and after shaking off some of the dust and cobwebs tried to fit myself back into it when reading this. What the old suit said: "I think 16 may be a lot bigger number than 70-ish here. I think the big gap in the timeline is likely to be more of a deal breaker than gray hair."

Many times I found that when wading through all the gawdawful weird crap you get (you'd be amazed if you haven't done it) that the first, and the second, and the third task is to quickly find reasons to screen OUT most of those pieces of paper. And I found this to be most true within organizations large enough to have a separate HR department acting as a gatekeeper for who finally gets called back. It'll often be like that until the stack is culled down to just a few that anyone signing off on it can feel reasonably confident about in some very basic ways. Sixteen year gap? I might decide I'm comfortable with that, but how does the paper shuffling HR department drone go about documenting that in triplicate so they can't be blamed for a hire that goes very badly wrong? And how 'bout those other 237 pieces of paper that don't have that problem; now they're looking a bit more "qualified" to let someone get away for lunch on time today.

How hard are those 16+ year old positions to verify? Do they even respond to screening requests? Ya wanna poll answer? Hokay, here ya go:

[ _ ] Yadda
[ _ ] Yadda, yadda
[ _ ] Yadda, yadda, pissed-off & yadda dammit
[ X ] Test-screen myself, doing an employer's verification of work/professional history on myself, getting a pal to contact the employers or associates that will be on my application materials to see how they respond, if they even do so, and whether it is a pain in the ass that needs to be smoothed for a real screener to find out that I'm real. Still. And I can probably manage to stay sober for hours at a time, without threatening to kill someone for "disrespecting" me. More or less, and in a way that can be filed under "covered your HR dept. ass."

And by the way, even if it was a job doing something that I invented and won a Nobel Prize for and I had references written in blood yesterday by Mother Theresa and Abraham Freakin' Lincoln, I wouldn't even consider a job search to be halfway warmed up and starting to get in gear before at least dozens of attempts and rejections or brush-offs.

Happy International Bacon Day to you and yours.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Sep 4, 2016
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 4th, 2016 at 12:28:36 AM permalink
Problem #1: Your age. Yes, you're in better shape than an Olympic athlete, but HR departments don't know that, nor will they believe you if you tell them. Frankly, they don't want you keeling over on the job and getting them sued for $10 million.

2, : You didn't say where you are, but I'm inferring you're in the Grand Junction area--maybe Fruita or Montrose? Anyway, you're in an economically depressed area that in the best of times, was never all that good of a place to find work. Unless you're a highly skilled and specialized energy industry worker, it's going to be hard to find even a minimum wage job.

3. Employers will want to know why the long gap in your employment history and also, why are you returning to work after such a long hiatus. They will be apprehensive that you can't handle the physical and mental stresses of a job any more.

So I think your chances are pretty poor, and what I would do if I were you is get the hell out of Dodge. Phoenix is chock full of seniors, many of them working, and the cost of living is low. Housing is easy to find. And since half the population is old mostly dead people, you won't experience any age discrimination there.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 4th, 2016 at 1:39:34 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Buzz,

Really sorry you're getting all those doors slammed in your face. Truly. I'm sure you're right about the ageism. I hate to pile on, but see ya.

Could you Please do what's necessary if it's possible to get your good standing back? I hate this.

Quote: Wizard

This experiment will be repeated as long as there is sufficient interest. However, I will retain the right to put a cap on the number of players. If I do, old players will have priority.

They're senior friendly. If you have a path, you might be able to make a few.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: