Mooseton
Mooseton
Joined: Sep 6, 2010
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 593
February 13th, 2015 at 8:34:09 PM permalink
Middle Aged White Guy

I'm a DAWG
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
Minty
Minty
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 491
February 14th, 2015 at 1:47:13 AM permalink
It's especially annoying when there are couples holding hands taking up a lot of space in a narrow area. I always feel the temptation to break the link and walk between them instead of around them. With that in mind, happy Valentine's Day everyone.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1317
  • Posts: 21582
February 14th, 2015 at 3:28:36 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Now that I think of it the same problem exists with metal detectors, I have ranted before on it. People take one step through and STOP, as if they slid to another dimension. When I am working a courthouse I see it over and over and the people look like the same type who will wear a fanny-pack and tie up the sidewalks in Vegas.



I must admit that I do this out of habit. With some metal detectors a noise doesn't go off if you failed but something visual prompts the attendant to wand you. Same thing with the naked machines, you have to wait a few seconds to be cleared.

However, there are other metal detectors that must be set on low because hoards of people go through and few people get the secondary search. I think they don't like lines to form. Every casino in Macau is like this. In those situations, I agree, just keep moving.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 423
  • Posts: 24064
February 15th, 2015 at 2:38:22 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Kids have their faces buried in their phones. After a few seconds I just walk around them and a few seconds after that the other guy behind me does the same.
.



It's universal now. What are they doing on the
devices? What's so important. I have a tablet,
I have a phone. It would never occur to me to
use them in public, there's nothing that can't
wait till I get home. What's so vital in peoples
lives that they have to deal with it RIGHT NOW.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
February 15th, 2015 at 2:43:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's universal now. What are they doing on the
devices? What's so important. I have a tablet,
I have a phone. It would never occur to me to
use them in public, there's nothing that can't
wait till I get home. What's so vital in peoples
lives that they have to deal with it RIGHT NOW.



Why wait?
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 423
  • Posts: 24064
February 15th, 2015 at 3:04:52 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Why wait?



Because you're missing everything going
on around you with your nose stuck in
a device, and often inconveniencing those
around you just so you can write you're
BFF that you're texting from an elevator.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
Joined: Mar 28, 2010
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2001
February 15th, 2015 at 3:08:01 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Because you're missing everything going
on around you with your nose stuck in
a device, and often inconveniencing those
around you just so you can write you're
BFF that you're texting from an elevator.



You're my BFF.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
February 15th, 2015 at 3:14:09 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Because you're missing everything going
on around you with your nose stuck in
a device, and often inconveniencing those
around you just so you can write you're
BFF that you're texting from an elevator.



Excellent point, well made.


I'll be sure not to text my BFF when in an elevator, it might inconvenience EvenBob.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 423
  • Posts: 24064
February 15th, 2015 at 4:02:31 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

You're my BFF.



Yes, please stop texting me from elevators.
My phone charges me for taking them.

(my spell check says 'texting' is misspelled.
It's not. Dang devices.)
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
BoulderDamIt
BoulderDamIt
Joined: Jan 15, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 156
February 15th, 2015 at 5:35:18 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's universal now. What are they doing on the
devices? What's so important. I have a tablet,
I have a phone. It would never occur to me to
use them in public, there's nothing that can't
wait till I get home. What's so vital in peoples
lives that they have to deal with it RIGHT NOW.



Bob,
I have to admit I'm pretty guilty of this. Although it's almost never when I'm walking. Usually if I'm sitting down in a communal area my phone is out and I'm on it. I just like to read. Random thoughts pop in my mind and I like to find out the answer. I'm usually reading History or the entomology of a word. There's all kinds of things I look up. I think it stems from my childhood from when my father would hand me a dictionary or encyclopedia if I had a question. It was more important to him that I have the skills to find the answer to a problem rather than being handed the solution.

But I'll agree there are situations where it's just down right rude to have a device out. If someone is speaking to you, you're at the dinner table, riding in a car with someone, etc...

But I'm usually reading right up until I fall asleep. Makes me a heck of a Jeopardy player I think.

  • Jump to: