Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 13th, 2014 at 8:38:27 AM permalink
I get bombarded and harassed with some sucker-related event apparently going on this month. I figured I'd hit back.

1) The mystery isn't why this alleged sport is not popular in America, but why is it popular in the rest of the world.

2) There was a similar kerfuffle played out four years ago in the Southern Hemisphere. Apparently, the sources are not entirely clear, other such tournaments have been held at regualr intervals. Obviously these events settle nothing, therefore it is time to give them up and try something else.

3) Does anyone doubt things will be rigged to favor Brazil?

4) What is the goal of this alleged game? My latest hypothesis is that people are waiting to see the grass grow, but I'm not hopeful about it. For one thing it has also been propposed as the appeal of the stickball game popular in America (now, there's a mystery).

5) Anopther discredited ypothesis is that the sucker match primes primal urges which afterward lead to violent street confrontations. This has been determined to be a side effect rather than a cause.

More as anger and cynicism allows, or commands.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
June 13th, 2014 at 9:07:59 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

4) What is the goal of this alleged game? .

Entertainment. That all. Just like a music concert, Its simply entertainment.
Not really newswothy but entertainment worthy.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 13th, 2014 at 9:47:55 AM permalink
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Soccer and Baseball?

If so, I can not stand to watch outdoor soccer. It has got to be the worst sport to watch. I do like to watch indoor soccer. I think it has something to do with the large surface that they play on and the speed of the game.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Nareed
Nareed
June 13th, 2014 at 9:51:36 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Entertainment. That all. Just like a music concert, Its simply entertainment.

Yes, but how?

In baseball the goal is to bore the audience to death (that's why they keep trying). In boxing the goal is to further diminish the active gray matter in one's opponent. In football the goal is to temporarily conquer the other team's pristine ned zone with the ball in posession.

My hypotheses in sucker are: to act injured given the least contact with an opponent; to watch the grass grow; to ellicit a colored card from the man in black (smart wearing black on a hot climate while running up and down the field, eh?); to graze the inverted goal post thing at either end of the field with the ball. I haven't been able to experimentally verify any of these.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 13th, 2014 at 9:53:08 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
June 13th, 2014 at 10:04:11 AM permalink

My hypotheses in sucker are: to act injured given the least contact with an opponent;.

Its called acting. Probabbly the most popular form of entertainment on the planet.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
June 13th, 2014 at 10:12:41 AM permalink

3) Does anyone doubt things will be rigged to favor Brazil?

After yesterday's match, I wouldn't think so.

4) What is the goal of this alleged game?

Ooh, Ooh, I know this one... to sell beer! I love how FIFA essentially said, "Screw fan safety, you must sell beer!"

And the thing is, I actually enjoy watching soccer and am excited about the World Cup.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Nareed
Nareed
June 13th, 2014 at 10:14:48 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

My idea of soccer consists of a smaller net, skates and a puck instead of a ball. Oh wait, that's hockey!

There is as yet no evidence from numerous broadcasts that there is an actual vulcanized tree sap artifact, the so-called "puck," on the ice at any so-called game. For all we know, these two tribes of barbarians are merely chasing each other around the ice, striking at opponents as the opportunity presents itself.

This is supported by the fact that the combatants wear armor and carry weapons. BTW these weapons may be modeled on implements used by warriors prior to the paleolithic age, making them of particular interest to those interested in pre-pre-history.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 13th, 2014 at 10:16:55 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Nareed
Nareed
June 13th, 2014 at 10:21:31 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

After yesterday's match, I wouldn't think so.

It is particualrly difficult to study this phenomenon when watching it gives me a case of terminal boredom. Therefore I rpeffer to specualte about it using second and even third-hand sources, the better to remove myself from direct exposure.

Quote:

Ooh, Ooh, I know this one... to sell beer! I love how FIFA essentially said, "Screw fan safety, you must sell beer!"

That has also been propposed as an explanation for baseball. But you'd think, given the avialability of venues and transportation, that beer could be sold at other times and places, not requiring massive infrastructure like stadia.

Quote:

And the thing is, I actually enjoy watching soccer and am excited about the World Cup.

Oh, do you bet on it? ;)
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
June 13th, 2014 at 10:23:31 AM permalink

Yes, but how? In baseball the goal is to bore the audience to death (that's why they keep trying). In boxing the goal is to further diminish the active gray matter in one's opponent. In football the goal is to temporarily conquer the other team's pristine ned zone with the ball in posession.

My hypotheses in sucker are: to act injured given the least contact with an opponent; to watch the grass grow; to ellicit a colored card from the man in black (smart wearing black on a hot climate while running up and down the field, eh?); to graze the inverted goal post thing at either end of the field with the ball. I haven't been able to experimentally verify any of these.

Watching Mays and McCovey hit home runs was not boring at all. Watching Koufax and Drysdale pitch was not boring either. I went to Candlestick quite a bit as a kid. I loved it.

There are two clearly defined objectives in soccer. 1. Put the ball in your opponents goal. 2. Prevent your opponents from putting the ball in your goal. Although I admit soccer is boring to me too.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
Nareed
Nareed
June 13th, 2014 at 10:34:24 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

There are two clearly defined objectives in soccer. 1. Put the ball in your opponents goal.

That's the score hypothesis, propposed early in history. it has been rejected, as this event simply does not take place often enough to be the objective.

Quote:

2. Prevent your opponents from putting the ball in your goal. Although I admit soccer is boring to me too.

Ah, I hadn't thought of this one. Yes, it would epxlain cerrtain observations. Nevertheless no one keeps track of balls not put through there. perhaps the official results are a summary of it? I'll consult some third-hand sources later.
Joeman
Joeman
June 13th, 2014 at 10:41:37 AM permalink

That has also been proposed as an explanation for baseball. But you'd think, given the availability of venues and transportation, that beer could be sold at other times and places, not requiring massive infrastructure like stadia.

Oh, I meant to say "to sell beer at criminally inflated prices." You can get a beer for $1 at any store, but if you want to pay $8 for the same beer, you have to go to the stadium.

Quote:

Oh, do you bet on it? ;)

No, just watch. Call it a character flaw. Like betting the 6-card bonus in 3CP. Probably not good for me, I'd be ashamed if friends or family ever found out, but occasionally I do it anyway.
Nareed
Nareed
June 13th, 2014 at 10:46:58 AM permalink

Oh, I meant to say "to sell beer at criminally inflated prices."

On first blush, that makes more sense.

Quote:

You can get a beer for $1 at any store, but if you want to pay $8 for the same beer, you have to go to the stadium.

However, without the need to spend money on large infrastructure projects, which depreciate over time and require substantial sums for maintenance and repair, the beer could be sold in larger quantities at lower prices over shorter periods of time.

Quote:

No, just watch. Call it a character flaw.

Just remember you said it. not me :)

Quote:

Like betting the 6-card bonus in 3CP. Probably not good for me, I'd be ashamed if friends or family ever found out, but occasionally I do it anyway.

I sense I'm missing an opportunity to say something terribly mordant and wholly inappropriate. But for the life of me I cannot think of what that is.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 13th, 2014 at 11:24:44 AM permalink
Obviously I cant get enough vuvuzela

Http://WWW.vuvuzrla.fm
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 13th, 2014 at 11:40:28 AM permalink
Quote:

If so, I can not stand to watch outdoor soccer. It has got to be the worst sport to watch.

I vote sailing. (until I think of something else).

I assume Beckham was an attempt to get more U.S people interested.

(no doubt sailing is fun to do, but to watch?)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
June 18th, 2014 at 9:45:46 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I can not stand to watch outdoor soccer. It has got to be the worst sport to watch.

Try golf. I'd rather watch a soccer marathon than a half-hour of flipping golf.

That said, with the exception of the World Cup, the only way I enjoy soccer is in person. Preferably with beer.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 18th, 2014 at 9:58:12 AM permalink
Bwahahaha! OMG Nareed, it took me a bit until I realized you were talking about the World Cup. I thought you had, like, an actual inter-office kickball tournament going on or something.

Usually your jabs at soccer are just blunt. This one was funny. And your jab at hockey?

There is as yet no evidence from numerous broadcasts that there is an actual vulcanized tree sap artifact, the so-called "puck," on the ice at any so-called game. For all we know, these two tribes of barbarians are merely chasing each other around the ice, striking at opponents as the opportunity presents itself.

This is supported by the fact that the combatants wear armor and carry weapons. BTW these weapons may be modeled on implements used by warriors prior to the paleolithic age, making them of particular interest to those interested in pre-pre-history.

You should market that idea yourself. I could find enough people here to field an entire division myself, and we'd start playing immediately =) Just be a good commissioner. I suspect you'd turn your back, disinterested, and let whatever happens happen. That would be perfect =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2014 at 11:07:12 AM permalink
Quote: Face

You should market that idea yourself. I could find enough people here to field an entire division myself, and we'd start playing immediately =) Just be a good commissioner. I suspect you'd turn your back, disinterested, and let whatever happens happen. That would be perfect =)

Oh, but then I'd have to come up with rules. And if we use Roman rules, forget about it! Can't you see the outcry if we instituted decimation, indenture terms and fights to the death? On th eother hnd the conservatives would demand crucifictions, even though we know those can have all manner of unfortunate side effects, which can end in ecumenical councils and endless debate over a tiny iota.

But if you like it, run with it.
Nareed
Nareed
June 19th, 2014 at 4:55:57 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Usually your jabs at soccer are just blunt.

I was going for mean.

In what sport is a 0-0 tie considered a great victory? In the NFL ties are despised for the inconclusive things they are. I think subconsciously most players and fans would rather their team lost than tied.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
June 19th, 2014 at 5:50:55 PM permalink
Hey mickey

Baseball owners were assailed.. Willie was bars from baseball old timers games for years. Because he was a hand shaker in Vegas.

Glad you saw him in his prime and not stumbling around in the MET's outfield. I think he holds the record for the oldest
Starting player in a world series game.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Joeman
Joeman
June 20th, 2014 at 9:01:23 AM permalink

In what sport is a 0-0 tie considered a great victory?

I had a friend in college who was an avid soccer fan, but couldn't stand watching baseball. He said, referring to batting average, he "couldn't respect a sport where 30% is considered successful." I asked him why, then, he did respect a sport where often both teams would play for 90 minutes and not score at all. Needless to say, he didn't have an answer.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
June 20th, 2014 at 9:08:24 AM permalink

I had a friend in college who was an avid soccer fan, but couldn't stand watching baseball. He said, referring to batting average, he "couldn't respect a sport where 30% is considered successful." I asked him why, then, he did respect a sport where often both teams would play for 90 minutes and not score at all. Needless to say, he didn't have an answer.

Good one!
Nareed
Nareed
June 20th, 2014 at 9:23:17 AM permalink

I had a friend in college who was an avid soccer fan, but couldn't stand watching baseball.

Therefore he's not totally devoid of good taste ;)

Baseball has one saving grace: the "Who's on first" routine by Abott and Costello. Soccer lacks something like that.

Sample:

So I pick up the ball and trhow it to Naturally
No! You throw it to first base!
Then who gets it?
Naturally!

Quote:

He said, referring to batting average, he "couldn't respect a sport where 30% is considered successful."

He should try it himself. I can understand hitting a baseball-sized ball travelling in excess of 100 kph with a wooden club not much wider than the ball is a hard feat to accomplish.

I don't understand why the game it happens in is considered anythign other than crushing boredom.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
June 23rd, 2014 at 4:20:52 PM permalink

Considering that scoring more than one time in 10 is considered successful in hockey, the 30% argument for baseball is silly - and I say this an a diehard hockey fan. Given that, I can respect a 1-0 game as thrilling - when I was younger, I went to a hockey game that ended 1-0 in overtime and was probably the best game I've ever seen - but only if there are scoring chances. A team that fails to score shooting 35 times in hockey is OK. A team that fails to score while shooting three times in soccer? Come on.

USA-Portugal was thrilling (albeit heartbreaking - still smarting from that one.) Lots of shots on goal with a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win is thrilling. No scoring chances is dull.
Nareed
Nareed
June 25th, 2014 at 2:47:19 PM permalink
How come one city, and the surrounding areas, can put up Olympic games (summer or winter) involving dozens to scores of sports, including a kickball tournament, in dozens to scores of venues, but for a single "sport" a whole country is required?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 25th, 2014 at 6:29:33 PM permalink

How come one city, and the surrounding areas, can put up Olympic games (summer or winter) involving dozens to scores of sports, including a kickball tournament, in dozens to scores of venues, but for a single "sport" a whole country is required?

'Cause the Olympics/IOC>World Cup/FIFA.

Oh, they're both corrupt, but the IOC is just slightly less corrupt.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
June 27th, 2014 at 7:19:36 AM permalink
If only half the teams make it to the second "phase," why not just invite only half the teams? That would halve the costs, right? ;P It would skip the tedious part of so-called "group play" no one seems to like.

If this would also mean less money, then obviously they should invite twice as many teams.

The whole thing is completely nonsensical anyway.
  • Jump to: