rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7042
January 29th, 2014 at 6:39:43 AM permalink
Yeaaaahhh, ok. Maybe the rules could have been more clear or differently organized. But, if we're going to talk about a lack of common sense, let's start with the part where someone played a game without reading the rules and then complained about the outcome...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
boymimbo
boymimbo
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 5994
January 29th, 2014 at 6:40:00 AM permalink
When I saw the MJ wasn't participating in weeks 2, 3, etc, I had him on my allowance for doubtful accounts for someone who wouldn't pay. Fair enough. Free pass.

Mission, next year, make your outgoing PM more verbose and include the disclaimer:

"Your participation in this contest indicates that you understand the full terms and conditions of the contest, [found here] and that all but x players will end up paying x players up to $100 each at the end of the contest, with the median loss being about $xx."
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14222
January 29th, 2014 at 7:07:58 AM permalink
I think it's quite clear MJ stopped playing right after the beginning of the game. Perhaps a withdrawal mechanism is in order, like classes in university, where you can drop a class without penalty to your record until, say, the 4th week.

However, I also think it was entirely inherent on the player to know what they're joining. I was one of those who did not sign up until I understood the structure of the game, and I did that by asking questions in the thread until I understood the stakes and the exposure. Missing in any of the correspondence is any indication from MJ to Mission that he was resigning the game. He opted in; why wouldn't he opt out?

Some of the suggestions for improving the game rules and procedures above seem worthwhile, but none of this rises to the level of a flaw that invalidates MJ's entry this year, by ommission or by misleading statements. I have no problem with MJ asking for or getting a "no bet" declaration based on what happened, but saying the rules were at fault is dodging responsibility on his part. All IMHO. YMMV.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 5701
January 29th, 2014 at 7:10:05 AM permalink
So the bigger question is if he is going to pay the debt that I feel is still owed (By the way, that is assuming he didnt pay)? That would give your complaint a little more credibility in my opinion.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 12619
January 29th, 2014 at 7:23:18 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP




Mission did PM him? How is anyone going to "write" him if he isn't looking at his inbox?

Also, it's clear he read the rules since he selected a "Confidence Pick".

I don't know if this is angle on his part or not, but I somehow think if he had gone 5-0 the first week instead of 0-5 he would have been back for week two.



I just send the PM's, whether or not they are opened is none of my concern. We've had players active for the entire season, that even made Picks on the weeks in question, not open my reminder PM for whatever reason.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 12619
January 29th, 2014 at 7:26:08 AM permalink
Quote: EdgeLooker

Next year, Mission will not only have to pm reminders, but will also have to email, page, text, call each player's home and work, and also need their neighbors contact info as well, to ensure they read their messages, lol.



Per the Rules, I don't even require myself to send reminders, it's a courtesy. I think I failed to when I was in Vegas this year, but maybe not, let me check my Outbox...Yeah, no Week 16 Reminders, but I think I said that in the thread.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 12619
January 29th, 2014 at 7:27:41 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

When I saw the MJ wasn't participating in weeks 2, 3, etc, I had him on my allowance for doubtful accounts for someone who wouldn't pay. Fair enough. Free pass.

Mission, next year, make your outgoing PM more verbose and include the disclaimer:

"Your participation in this contest indicates that you understand the full terms and conditions of the contest, [found here] and that all but x players will end up paying x players up to $100 each at the end of the contest, with the median loss being about $xx."



Right, I've always preferred Mean to Median, though, so I'll send both.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 12619
January 29th, 2014 at 7:31:39 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think it's quite clear MJ stopped playing right after the beginning of the game. Perhaps a withdrawal mechanism is in order, like classes in university, where you can drop a class without penalty to your record until, say, the 4th week.



No way, there's no way I'll give someone four free weeks of Picks before they decide if they are in or not. That's nearly 25% of all of the Picks, I only want people who are actually serious about playing the game out, win or lose, you'd have half of the people sub-.450 gone after Four Weeks if we did that. I think one week is probably a good standard.

In terms of resolution for MJ, again, legal considerations are such that I don't actually enforce anything $$$-wise as relates this game. That having been said, whether he understood the Rules or not, I think it can fairly be said that he made no meaningful attempt to play the game. I'd pretty much had him written off since Week 6, or so, as far as paying goes.
Vultures can't be choosers.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14222
January 29th, 2014 at 7:46:07 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

No way, there's no way I'll give someone four free weeks of Picks before they decide if they are in or not. That's nearly 25% of all of the Picks, I only want people who are actually serious about playing the game out, win or lose, you'd have half of the people sub-.450 gone after Four Weeks if we did that. I think one week is probably a good standard.

In terms of resolution for MJ, again, legal considerations are such that I don't actually enforce anything $$$-wise as relates this game. That having been said, whether he understood the Rules or not, I think it can fairly be said that he made no meaningful attempt to play the game. I'd pretty much had him written off since Week 6, or so, as far as paying goes.



Mission,

I was not suggesting 4 weeks free play; my bad in my phrasing, I was trying to give a comparative example....Universities often let you go 4 weeks without penalty to your record. You don't get a refund of your tuition per credit paid, but it doesn't count against you. I think for this game, week 2 at the latest for a withdrawal would be adequate.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
Joined: Feb 19, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 1259
January 29th, 2014 at 7:55:54 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Universities often let you go 4 weeks without penalty to your record. You don't get a refund of your tuition per credit paid, but it doesn't count against you. I think for this game, week 2 at the latest for a withdrawal would be adequate.



So are you suggesting that a person can have two free weeks and if they aren't doing well can quit without any consequence? I don't like that idea at all.

Read the rules, make your picks, and pay up if you lose.

  • Jump to: