EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 424
  • Posts: 24165
October 19th, 2012 at 10:48:45 AM permalink
Rule of thumb is, if you paid nothing, take what you can get.
You had them way over priced, a hundred was about right.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
October 19th, 2012 at 10:49:44 AM permalink
For reference, I think we've all sold (or tried to) something we've gotten "comped".
The rule is, it's 50% face value (because it's 100% profit for you)
and I think his $100 was a counter-offer..you should have came back with how about $150?
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 2501
October 19th, 2012 at 11:35:46 AM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

For reference, I think we've all sold (or tried to) something we've gotten "comped".
The rule is, it's 50% face value (because it's 100% profit for you)
and I think his $100 was a counter-offer..you should have came back with how about $150?



I think MOST of us would be more accurate. Maybe I am just a chump, but I cannot recall ever having tried to see something I was comp'd.
I take my tickets to shows that I am not interested in, and try to find a couple who look like they are doing a trip on no budget. Give them the tickets. It makes their day, and in some cases, I suspect it might even make their whole trip. And I get to feel good about it too.

The joke is probably on me. After I turn the corner, THEY probably sell the tix for $100.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
1BB
1BB
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
October 19th, 2012 at 11:43:07 AM permalink
Whenever anyone asks me for money at the Connecticut casinos I'll ask them if they have points on their card. You'd be surprised how many of these beggars have a few thousand or more. I tell them if they want say $100 they can buy me something for it.

Among my acquisitions have been flat screen TVs, Coach bags and golf clubs. I once got three $50 seafood buffets with all you can eat lobster for $20.

That's a better happy ending than some of these ne'er-do-wells have to offer.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
October 19th, 2012 at 11:47:22 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

That's a better happy ending than some of these ne'er-do-wells have to offer.


Not sure where you intended that comment....
Also,
I never thought of that (to ask them to use their points) That's not a bad idea!
Straight Gangsta AP right thurrr, lol.
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
1BB
1BB
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
October 19th, 2012 at 12:14:14 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

Not sure where you intended that comment....
Also,
I never thought of that (to ask them to use their points) That's not a bad idea!
Straight Gangsta AP right thurrr, lol.



You caught that huh? It's not uncommon for some women to ask for a "loan". When that doesn't work they go to plan B and offer a "massage" or something related, hence the happy ending reference.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
October 19th, 2012 at 12:32:43 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

For reference, I think we've all sold (or tried to) something we've gotten "comped".
The rule is, it's 50% face value (because it's 100% profit for you)
and I think his $100 was a counter-offer..you should have came back with how about $150?



Based on the original account of the negotiation, I don't think he had the cash, and ended up paying for his tickets with a cc at the box.

Was there anyone else hawking tickets besides you?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
CrapsForever
CrapsForever
Joined: Mar 6, 2012
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 517
October 19th, 2012 at 12:52:13 PM permalink
It's all about Supply and Demand per Sir Alfred Marshall, the father of "Law of Demand and Supply"

Scenario 1

In 2001; I was trying to sell (2) NY Yankees Playoff Game 2 ALDS Tickets right before the game in front of Yankee Stadium. I was going to the game but I had 2 extra tickets that I needed to get rid of. I was SCARED out of my mind of being arrested...I had never done that before...It was my first and only time trying to sell tickets. An Older Gentleman with his Granddaughter offered me $100 Above Face Value for both tickets combined AND offered to throw in 2 ALDS Tickets for Game 5. I JUMPED at the offer!!!


Scenario 2

Just last week..on Stubhub...I purchased $25 Face Value tickets to the first ever Brooklyn Nets Regular Season Game for $200. The same tickets are now going anywhere from $250 - $300. The game is coming up on Nov 1 against the NY Knicks in Brooklyn, NY. As a Native Brooklynite and a lifelong Nets fan....there is no way I am missing the first regular season game for any sports team in Brooklyn since the Brooklyn Dodgers left in 1957. Add in the $250 Plane Ticket to fly from Florida to NY....and it adds up....but to be able to be there LIVE in Person ....the experience will be PRICELESS....
Craps is the most "Jekyll and Hyde" casino game ever invented!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
October 19th, 2012 at 12:55:08 PM permalink
Quote: CrapsForever


Scenario 2

Just last week..on Stubhub...I purchased $25 Face Value tickets to the first ever Brooklyn Nets Regular Season Game for $200. The same tickets are now going anywhere from $250 - $300. The game is coming up on Nov 1 against the NY Knicks in Brooklyn, NY. As a Native Brooklynite and a lifelong Nets fan....there is no way I am missing the first regular season game for any sports team in Brooklyn since the Brooklyn Dodgers left in 1957. Add in the $250 Plane Ticket to fly from Florida to NY....and it adds up....but to be able to be there LIVE in Person ....the experience will be PRICELESS....



I wonder how much juice Stubhub is charging to broker the deal?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
CrapsForever
CrapsForever
Joined: Mar 6, 2012
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 517
October 19th, 2012 at 2:03:48 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I wonder how much juice Stubhub is charging to broker the deal?



To my knowledge, Stubhub charges 10% of the total purchase price BOTH to the seller and buyer...

I prefer to order Electronic Tickets from Stubhub which you can print within 15 minutes of ordering your tickets. I use them all the time to get tickets to Sporting Events that are already sold out.

It's much cheaper to go to the stadium and get a ticket from a "scalper" however I'd rather pay the higher fee to a person on Stubhub and be guaranteed a ticket!
Craps is the most "Jekyll and Hyde" casino game ever invented!

  • Jump to: