10 votes (9.34%)
33 votes (30.84%)
64 votes (59.81%)

107 members have voted

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
August 9th, 2019 at 10:46:12 AM permalink
Oops, I used a downloaded map, so no interference for 2000 mile trip.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
August 9th, 2019 at 12:48:49 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I'd forgotten how tough it is to drive back East.

Last time I was in the NY/NJ
area I was noticing how badly
rusted a lot of the signage is.
Street signs, road signs, pitted
with rust. And huge potholes
in the summer. We have those
in the winter, never in the summer.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
standbymyman
standbymyman
  • Threads: 1
August 13th, 2019 at 9:03:22 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I'd forgotten how tough it is to drive back East.

The drivers are generally good, which they'd have to be. The weak either die or are relegated to the bus.

I understand that the roads are all paved over donkey trails and that you can't halt all activity in Manhatten or Philadelphia for 3 years to build modern roads. But that doesn't make it more fun.

They could update some of the speed limits to reflect the post-model T era. Also the signage. Maybe I'm spoiled being a Westerner, but it would be cool to know that the freeway is going to divide before I hit the divide and have 4 seconds to move 3 lanes over.

It's an interesting example of human progress/figuring things out. While Vegas has the worst drivers on the whole flat earth, the roads are spacious and pretty efficient and logical because it is mostly a new city and the designers can use the lessons of the past. Meanwhile, whoever designed certain motorcar paths in 1910 back east thought, "let's make all turns illegal for 50 miles on this road. Then if you need to turn around, or go to a destination on the left side of the road, you can make a right turn onto a different road. Then make a U turn. Then make a left turn." Seems crazy now, but I bet that guy was considered bright back in his day.

I drew a diagram of the exit to one destination I frequented. The arrow is the path you are taking on the "highway" (speed limit, 13mph.) The green path is where the exit would be in any Western state. The black path is my closest recollection of the route from the freeway. It kicks off with the exit being on the wrong side of the road. There actually was an exit on the correct side, but for some reason, it was blocked by a strip of concrete.

Also, there was a big lag on the GPS and it was constantly going haywire, for days in multiple cities. I don't know exactly what the deal was. Maybe the East coast and T-Mobile don't get along. I think at least part of it was just that the roads twist and overlap so much and that there are so many small roads packed into small areas that it can't keep them all straight.

Worst drivers? Yes, but only until they catch their flight home.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2019 at 11:01:16 AM permalink
Is this gambling related pet peeves
only now? I ran out of those years
ago.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
August 13th, 2019 at 11:07:44 AM permalink
Bringing the GAY thread over to DT
So sick of the hate.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
Thanks for this post from:
bobbartop
August 13th, 2019 at 11:11:22 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

So sick of the hate.

You talk about hate? You call our President a moron, an a..hole, etc... You call an ex President (Clinton) despicable.... Then you complain about hate? Go talk with Nathan about homosexuality on DT. Good luck!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
August 13th, 2019 at 11:13:07 AM permalink
DT would be a terrific place to take this entire conversation.
Vultures can't be choosers.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
August 13th, 2019 at 11:25:31 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

DT would be a terrific place to take this entire conversation.

It worked for Castro.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2019 at 11:51:45 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

So sick of the hate.

I already blocked it there.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
September 11th, 2019 at 7:29:48 PM permalink
It seems simply isnít possible to take an economy/coach flight and not have some rude f*cking jerkoff jam their seat into your knees without looking or saying a word.

Thereís no rule against bending over and sh*tting your pants in the face of the person next to you either, and your body does it, but that doesnít make that not rude either.

• Jump to: