Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:49:56 AM permalink
Ok, I did not expect a section to be set up this soon. Wizard, many, many thanks! You're the best!

Next, I'm still at work, but I expect I'll post some on topic stuff here later.

Thanks again!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:55:45 AM permalink
*like*
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 3rd, 2011 at 12:05:11 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Ok, I did not expect a section to be set up this soon. Wizard, many, many thanks! You're the best!

You're quite welcome. Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 3rd, 2011 at 4:30:01 PM permalink
Are you kidding me with this? This is as offensive as have a section just for Blacks or just for Latinos. I thought we left sectioning people off when the Civil Rights amendment was signed. I'm very offended by this and I'm not joking.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
touristlocal
touristlocal
  • Threads: 1
January 3rd, 2011 at 4:41:55 PM permalink
There's a difference between segregation and providing a space for people to engage in conversations that attract unwelcome attention from others.

Evenbob, your objection is not very different from objecting to a battered womens shelter because it is not open to male volunteers, or objecting to the NAACP because it focuses energy on the concerns of a single minority group.

Maybe if GLBT members were unable to post anywhere except this forum there might be grounds to take offense. If The Wizard is ok with having it on his site, there is nothing objectionable about providing a forum for GLBT issues. If there had been as much discussion about blacks and latinos as there has been about homosexuality, maybe it would also be appropriate to start a forum for those members of this site.

There are certainly places such as the "free speech zone" where posters are free to share their opinions that might be in opposition to homosexual posters. Forums like that are de-facto ruled by the loudest individuals without concern for the participation of other groups. I support having a venue for people to discuss things without having to defend their viewpoints from other people every few posts. The Wizard has made it clear that he wants to give everyone a chance to participate and have a voice on this site, sometimes that means creating protected areas where it's safe to discuss certain topics.
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
January 3rd, 2011 at 4:47:58 PM permalink
Quote: touristlocal

I support having a venue for people to discuss things without having to defend their viewpoints from other people every few posts. The Wizard has made it clear that he wants to give everyone a chance to participate and have a voice on this site, sometimes that means creating protected areas where it's safe to discuss certain topics.

I would be very surprised if anything of substance posted in this section does not get attacked by someone who simply likes to bash any group they might feel is inferior or does not agree with their views. I have no problem with the Wiz creating this section and don't see why anyone would. It's like anything else in life or on the web... if you don't like it and it's doing no one any harm, simply turn away and ignore it.
Happiness is underrated
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2011 at 4:52:10 PM permalink
Quote: touristlocal

sometimes that means creating protected areas

Are you kidding me? Now you want to be 'protected'??? What are you, an endangered species? OK then, lets have a hetero section, I don't feel safe discussing delicate hetero issues without protection. You see how insane that sounds? You do see it, right?
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 3rd, 2011 at 4:53:29 PM permalink
Quote: TheNightfly

I would be very surprised if anything of substance posted in this section does not get attacked by someone who simply likes to bash any group they might feel is inferior or does not agree with their views.

The good thing about it is that GBLT corner is not in the Free Speech Zone. This means that any transgressions of the house rules can be punished appropriately.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
DWSH
DWSH
  • Threads: 0
January 4th, 2011 at 12:19:09 AM permalink
Welcome!

I just wanted to confirm that there really are straight people who are not threatened by a request for some website space.

Enjoy -- and have a great time in Vegas!
Nareed
Nareed
January 4th, 2011 at 6:32:59 AM permalink
Quote: DWSH

Welcome!

I just wanted to confirm that there really are straight people who are not threatened by a request for some website space.

Enjoy -- and have a great time in Vegas!

Thank you!

And welcome to you as well.
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 5:33:18 PM permalink
I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while now and was finally drawn to become a member after reading through some of the off-topic threads on GLBT stuff. Partly to visibly show support for a site that is generally pretty educated and experienced in all kinds and levels of gambling. Mostly to show support for some of the members who seem to be being bullied for being honest about where they are coming from. Nareed should be commended for trying to stay reasonable in the face of some of the reactionary backlash she faces.

The Wizard has shown wizdom (spelling pun!) and thoughtfulness with creation of this section. Huzzah!
Nareed
Nareed
January 4th, 2011 at 6:10:18 PM permalink
Quote: lazabout

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while now and was finally drawn to become a member after reading through some of the off-topic threads on GLBT stuff. Partly to visibly show support for a site that is generally pretty educated and experienced in all kinds and levels of gambling. Mostly to show support for some of the members who seem to be being bullied for being honest about where they are coming from. Nareed should be commended for trying to stay reasonable in the face of some of the reactionary backlash she faces.

The Wizard has shown wizdom (spelling pun!) and thoughtfulness with creation of this section. Huzzah!

Welcome! And thank you!

While the backlash is pretty bad, it comes from only a few users. There are many more, like you, who've been very supportive. As I've said, I do still feel welcome here. I trust you'll keep visiting here.

I wholly second your sentiments on the Wizard, too. Those of us fortunate to have met him know he's a gentleman and a really nice guy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2011 at 7:15:43 PM permalink

Mostly to show support for some of the members who seem to be being bullied for being honest about where they are coming from
!

Please point to the examples of bullying. Since when is expressing opinions considered bullying?
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 4th, 2011 at 7:19:47 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Are you kidding me? Now you want to be 'protected'??? What are you, an endangered species? OK then, lets have a hetero section, I don't feel safe discussing delicate hetero issues without protection. You see how insane that sounds? You do see it, right?

The distinction is that no one attacks heterosexuals simply for being heterosexual.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 7:26:45 PM permalink
I don't really feel a need to point out examples of bullying.

There is nothing wrong with expressing one's opinions. Sometimes the manner in which one expresses one's opinions can seem abusive though.

I'm not calling anyone out as I feel that I'm only now an actual member of the community. If I am participating in a discussion and feel that someone is being a bully, I will point it out. OK?
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 7:35:23 PM permalink

Welcome! And thank you!

While the backlash is pretty bad, it comes from only a few users. There are many more, like you, who've been very supportive. As I've said, I do still feel welcome here. I trust you'll keep visiting here.

I wholly second your sentiments on the Wizard, too. Those of us fortunate to have met him know he's a gentleman and a really nice guy.

I've seen the support from many folks and wanted to add my voice. Overall the air of rationality wafts through this space. I'll keep popping in and maybe even manage to contribute to a discussion or two. There are so many smart and creative people in this community that it is a wee bit intimidating.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2011 at 7:38:42 PM permalink

I don't really feel a need to point out examples of bullying.

LOL, of course not, there aren't any. You think just by saying it, that makes it true.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2011 at 7:41:32 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

The distinction is that no one attacks heterosexuals simply for being heterosexual.

Thats because hetero's don't go around making ridiculous statements they can't back up.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 4th, 2011 at 7:51:53 PM permalink

Thats because hetero's don't go around making ridiculous statements they can't back up.

Sooooo...JL and RS are "gay?"
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 8:04:33 PM permalink

LOL, of course not, there aren't any. You think just by saying it, that makes it true.

Actually if you read further, you might see I provided reasoning for why I didn't feel a need to point it out.

Why do you feel the need to hang out on GLBT Corner anyway? You've got the entire rest of the Wizard's world to express yourself. This section should make it easy for you to avoid exposing yourself to so many people of whom you disapprove. Instead you ran right over first thing to complain. I don't get it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2011 at 8:17:14 PM permalink

Actually if you read further, you might see I provided reasoning for why I didn't feel a need to point it out.

You don't seem to get it. You can't make accusations without facts to back them up. If you try, you lose all credibility.

>>Why do you feel the need to hang out on GLBT Corner anyway? You've got the entire rest of the Wizard's world to express yourself. This section should make it easy for you to avoid exposing yourself to so many people of whom you disapprove. Instead you ran right over first thing to complain. I don't get it.>>

I wasn't aware I needed your permission to post. Please point out where I said disapproved of any people on this forum. You can't, you're just making empty accusations again. You have no clue what the argument is about.
Nareed
Nareed
January 4th, 2011 at 8:31:48 PM permalink

Why do you feel the need to hang out on GLBT Corner anyway?

Reverse troll-baiting, I suspect, and general nuisance. The more they oppose this section, the more they'll make a pain of themselves in it. Hoping, perhaps, we'll try to exclude them, kick them out or make a mess of this part of the forum the Wizard will want to close it down.

I've been around. I've done things like that. Chasing users out, chasing sections out. It's old news.

As I said in another thread, just ignore the trolls.
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 8:45:59 PM permalink

You don't seem to get it. You can't make accusations without facts to back them up. If you try, you lose all credibility.

>>Why do you feel the need to hang out on GLBT Corner anyway? You've got the entire rest of the Wizard's world to express yourself. This section should make it easy for you to avoid exposing yourself to so many people of whom you disapprove. Instead you ran right over first thing to complain. I don't get it.>>

I wasn't aware I needed your permission to post. Please point out where I said disapproved of any people on this forum. You can't, you're just making empty accusations again. You have no clue what the argument is about.

You act as if I were accusing you of being a bully. I didn't. The fact that your first act upon my joining the forum and posting in the GLBT Corner was not to welcome me to the group in any way, but to become offended by my reasons for not lurking anymore, is hostile IMHO. Maybe it's that my sensibilities are more courteous/civil. I don't know you and am not at all inclined to get to know you better, so I don't really care if I am "credible" to you. I feel confident that as I get to know the community and they me, credibility issues will sort themselves out.

It is clear you are uncomfortable with GLBT. Perhaps I overstated by saying you disapproved of them. My accusation is that you are spending your time in a section that you didn't really want to be added harrassing people (me, specifically). I respect your right to post whatever whereever. Just puzzled as to why you feel the need to be so vocal in this particular section.
lazabout
lazabout
January 4th, 2011 at 8:51:31 PM permalink

Reverse troll-baiting, I suspect, and general nuisance. The more they oppose this section, the more they'll make a pain of themselves in it. Hoping, perhaps, we'll try to exclude them, kick them out or make a mess of this part of the forum the Wizard will want to close it down.

I've been around. I've done things like that. Chasing users out, chasing sections out. It's old news.

As I said in another thread, just ignore the trolls.

Yes. You are right. I should not engage. I'll have to resist the urge to post GLBT inquiries in the Strip Club and Bars/Night Clubs sections. When you started the initial GLBT section poll and I started reading the comments, that was my first impulse. ;)

Thanks for the cool head reminder!
Nareed
Nareed
January 4th, 2011 at 9:05:28 PM permalink

Yes. You are right. I should not engage. I'll have to resist the urge to post GLBT inquiries in the Strip Club and Bars/Night Clubs sections. When you started the initial GLBT section poll and I started reading the comments, that was my first impulse. ;)

I'm glad you resisted.

Quote:

Thanks for the cool head reminder!

Being TG one needs a thick skin. I don't have one, so I do what I can to minimize my need for it. As I've said before, too, I have enough aggravation already, why look for more?
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 4th, 2011 at 10:13:28 PM permalink

That in itself is a ridiculous statement that you can't back up...so using your logic, you must be gay.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: