Thread Rating:

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 110
  • Posts: 5444
March 9th, 2013 at 4:25:59 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Vegas in Pacific time is horrible, so stupid. I never make sportsbets because it's already too late by the time I think about it/wake up for Sunday football.


Then either (a) move Vegas out of Nevada (and into a state where sports bets are illegal), (b) move Reno and Lake Tahoe out of Nevada (and lose a chunk of money every winter because you lose the Reno and Tahoe casinos), or (c) make it a two time zone state, with all of the hassles that come with it.

Who here changes their smoke detector batteries when they change the clocks?
Lexinger
Lexinger
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 47
March 9th, 2013 at 4:32:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I was never late for anything.


A good reason to not set the clock back in the fall, or then to have to undo it that in the spring. Let the suckers do it. Get up at the same time each day. Feel the seasons.

Quote: Wizard

"That's strange, it is the same time here." How is that possible?


How is it not possible? Relativity aside, however you choose to look at it, everything beyond us and our tiny planet runs on its own time. We might as well, in this technological era, each go by one global man-time... say a particular atomic clock. (What happened to that big sheet of aluminum they were going to unfurl over the earth back in the 70's to have 24-hour daylight? We became too wrapped up in ourselves.)

Quote: buzzpaff

The extra hour of sunshine burnt all his crops.


Hope the rest of you wore big hats.
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. But those who confuse the two... they wind up on the internet.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6272
March 9th, 2013 at 4:50:34 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Then either (a) move Vegas out of Nevada (and into a state where sports bets are illegal), (b) move Reno and Lake Tahoe out of Nevada (and lose a chunk of money every winter because you lose the Reno and Tahoe casinos), or (c) make it a two time zone state, with all of the hassles that come with it.

Who here changes their smoke detector batteries when they change the clocks?



c) is less of a hassle than you think, especially for a tourist like me. And do vegas locals really like the sun setting at 430pm in the winter and rising at 530am in the summer?
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
March 9th, 2013 at 5:14:33 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

c) And do vegas locals really like the sun setting at 430pm in the winter and rising at 530am in the summer?



I lived on the coast in Calif and it started getting dark
at 4pm in Dec. Sucked bigtime.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4299
March 9th, 2013 at 11:13:56 PM permalink
Daylight savings time is stupid. I went to college in Indiana back before they caved in to DST a few years ago. We never had to change our clocks, it was awesome.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4299
March 9th, 2013 at 11:13:56 PM permalink
Daylight savings time is stupid. I went to college in Indiana back before they caved in to DST a few years ago. We never had to change our clocks, it was awesome.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Lexinger
Lexinger
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 47
March 11th, 2013 at 1:58:36 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

... getting dark at 4pm in Dec. Sucked big time.


Feeling the seasons is great for the creative mind.

To finish off. At any given time, the only difference between pt A and pt B is of distance or spatial condition... not the time. Can artificially or conveniently trade off on the "absolute" time (which I proposed last time) to have "relative" times that approximately account for the distances, and further define an old versus a new time, but certainly can't eliminate any of the distances. Then no two such "relative" times can ever be the same. Eg, an old "relative" time of 2 am isn't the same as a new "relative" time of 2 am.
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. But those who confuse the two... they wind up on the internet.
DanMahowny
DanMahowny
Joined: Feb 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 142
March 11th, 2013 at 2:02:02 PM permalink
Quote: Lexinger

Feeling the seasons is great for the creative mind.

To finish off. At any given time, the only difference between pt A and pt B is of distance or spatial condition... not the time. Can artificially or conveniently trade off on the "absolute" time (which I proposed last time) to have "relative" times that approximately account for the distances, and further define an old versus a new time, but certainly can't eliminate any of the distances. Then no two such "relative" times can ever be the same. Eg, an old "relative" time of 2 am isn't the same as a new "relative" time of 2 am.



Glad we got that cleared up. I knew there's a reason for me hanging out here.
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
konceptum
konceptum
Joined: Mar 25, 2010
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 790
March 11th, 2013 at 3:18:42 PM permalink
I had to travel to Indiana this weekend for business, and got caught in the DST morass that I normally don't have to deal with living in Arizona. I would say it's a good thing they announced it on the news, but there was no need since my cell phone automatically adjusted anyway. But, going to Indiana on Friday and dealing with a two hour time difference, and coming back on Monday with a three hour time difference has really screwed up my sense of when I should be going to bed.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4299
March 11th, 2013 at 3:41:40 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

I had to travel to Indiana this weekend for business, and got caught in the DST morass that I normally don't have to deal with living in Arizona. I would say it's a good thing they announced it on the news, but there was no need since my cell phone automatically adjusted anyway. But, going to Indiana on Friday and dealing with a two hour time difference, and coming back on Monday with a three hour time difference has really screwed up my sense of when I should be going to bed.


As I mentioned previously, I went to college in Indiana where we never observed DST. I thought it was great, except that you always had to remember whether everyone else was on DST or not - I would switch between being 2 hours or 3 hours ahead of my family.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

  • Jump to: