Thread Rating:

DanMahowny
DanMahowny
  • Threads: 8
March 31st, 2012 at 8:28:23 PM permalink
If she DOES reach her goal, it's 100% someone DOES NOT pay up! This is an anonymous forum- it's just too easy not to pay.
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
March 31st, 2012 at 10:02:35 PM permalink
HB's Prediction:

99% of you live boring lives and need to create drama out of my life in order to entertain yourselves.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
April 1st, 2012 at 7:02:21 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

HB's Prediction:

99% of you live boring lives and need to create drama out of my life in order to entertain yourselves.

That's not a prediction, it's a statement of opinion about the current state of the group of individuals who participate in this thread ... predictions are statements of opinion about the future, as in, I predict that HB will abandon this forum long before the challenge date, making it nearly impossible to know if she has completed the task.

Your use of "99%" acknowledges that for all practical purposes, you have very few who will stand up for you and your collection of behaviors, one of which is lashing out in anger at nearly everyone here.

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 1st, 2012 at 10:07:49 AM permalink
I think there has been a great deal of overspeculation on HB's ability to pay based on her hospital experience which she relayed to everyone on the forum. It was this experience where she revealed that she was trying to get out of a hospital bill and have the hospital write off the expense as charity.

This then denigrated to an attack on HB's character which I think is uncalled for, but not unexpected on an internet forum.

I'm not in on this bet because personally, I think it's in poor taste to gamble on weight loss, and as well, I think it's very very easy to welch on a bet -- on both sides. I wish HB the best of luck... but I think this week's weigh in will not be good for HB either.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 1st, 2012 at 10:27:13 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

This then denigrated to an attack on HB's character which I think is uncalled for, but not unexpected on an internet forum.

I agree! I am not enjoying logging on to this site any more. I am not a bad person and don't like that I'm being made to feel like I am. I joined this site and have had a lot of fun. But it's not feeling fun any more. I put my life out there to share and have fun and unfortunately in doing so it's opened me up for people to take jabs at me.

I'll say this one more time and then I am not going to comment on this again. The ER that I go to has a sign when you sign in saying that payment is due the day of service. I went without insurance and without enough money to pay THAT DAY. The hospital offered me the charity paperwork, it was not anything I pursued. I've told you all that I have been granted charity in the past, and there were other times where I had to pay on a payment schedule, and I paid, EVERY PENNY, and on time. I am responsible and honor all of my commitments. Even my landlord was impressed when I moved in and pulled up my credit, saying she liked that I had 20+ something lines of credit opened over a long time period and they all currently have a $0 balance. ALL. I have made a bet and said that I will pay in October if I lose this bet. My rent is paid on time, I've never been evicted, I am a responsible person.

Maybe it was naive of me to open myself up on here expecting friendship and not expecting people to sit there and pick me apart and judge me. That naiveness is probably due to the little amount of activity I've had in forums in general. You all are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. At the same time I have become turned off by this site and not sure how much time I want to spend on here any more. And that has nothing to do with the bet that I'm involved in because as I've said, and this is the LAST time I'll say it, I'M HONORING MY BET. That's regardless of how often I participate in the forum itself any more. That's the last I'm going to speak of this and if you guys want to go on and on you can start a I HATE HOTBLONDE thread and say whatever you want or I'll just stay completely off this thread to avoid the negativity if you want to continue.

Quote: boymimbo

I wish HB the best of luck... but I think this week's weigh in will not be good for HB either.

This was not my best week but not as bad as last week. I'm not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow.
seviay
seviay
  • Threads: 16
April 1st, 2012 at 11:01:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

While not exactly obese, I used to be 20 pounds heavier than I am now. About 2005 I did a weight loss bet with two friends to see who could lose the most. I went from about 195 to 155 -- and still came in second. While I quickly put back some of it, I've stayed between 170 and 175 ever since pretty much ever since. There is no life-changing story behind it. I just like how I look and feel at a lighter weight. It is worth working out daily and eating better for. Plus, I want to be around for the August 12, 2045 total eclipse, which will cut through the United States.

Wiz, I was mostly speaking to those who are not simply overweight, but fall into the category of obese or morbidly obese. I've tried to help way too many people -- as well as seen/heard about many others -- only to see and hear the same results. If the person doesn't address the "reason" for being obese, they will most likely return to being obese after any weight loss. It's just like any other addiction, I suppose. If you don't alleviate the triggers, what stops you from falling back into your old patterns?

As for your weight, Wiz, you sound like you were a pretty "normal" American who maybe exercised a little less than you should and/or ate worse than you should, as opposed to having some deep-seated issues. Congrats on finding a good happy medium for your "fighting weight." I love hearing stories of long-term success! And for the record, I still wish HB the best of luck with her endeavor.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
April 1st, 2012 at 11:30:09 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

The ER that I go to has a sign when you sign in saying that payment is due the day of service. I went without insurance and without enough money to pay THAT DAY. The hospital offered me the charity paperwork

This was not my best week but not as bad as last week. I'm not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow.

Two points... If when you go and use a service (in this case a hospital ER), and they offer you a discount or free service, depending upon certain parameters, and you honestly meet those parameters, you cannot blame someone for taking advantage of that offer. That is different from someone going in and saying that they will not pay. So I would say HB's acceptance of 'charity care' as nothing more than using the options that were made available to her.

I just had a broken windshield, and my grossly incompetent (and now fired) insurance agent 'forgot' to get glass coverage for me. When i went to the repair shop, I saw the guy writing up a bill for $500. When I mentioned my insurance fiasco, he asked me if I would like the blah, blah discount. I said yes and he re-wrote the bill for $375. Me accepting this 'charity' is different than if I went in demanding a lower rate, and I think is analagous to HB's situation.

As far as the weigh in tomorrow, I expect a weight under 220. "steroid weight' comes on quickly, but sheds quickly, too...
Using HB's last grid, she is still on pace to defeat the challenge about a month early. Her final goal in the 130's, although laudible, is not part of the betting challenge.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 1st, 2012 at 12:00:22 PM permalink
I will be part of the 1% to stand up for HB and hope that she does not leave the forum. I do however feel this whole HB challenge idea is unraveling and that might not be a bad thing. I don't want to break the Wizard's second commandment but it might be best for HB and all of us to put an end to the challenge. I do not mean that HB should stop trying to lose weight and recover her inner and outer "hotness". I do mean that it has become painfully obvious that HB may not be in a position to make such a bet. In retrospect we also have to ask ourselves is money really a good motivator for a change in lifestyle that is needed? I for one continue to pray that HB rocks this challenge, but that she does it for herself, not us, not for fleeting money, and not in such a glare of public scrutiny. If we can end this challenge and the venom poured out upon her on this thread I do think she will stay around, contribute, and on Oct. 17th I wouldn't be surprised to all of the sudden see a new HB.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 1st, 2012 at 12:12:44 PM permalink
I was talking with someone I know recently and he told me he was inspired by my success (so far) and told me that he is now going to try (again) to lose the 50 pounds his doctor told him he needs to lose. I asked him why he fell off last time and he told me "Because it was hard." I said "Oh, really? So let's imagine a starving African child is standing right next to you. And I want you to tell that little child who has basically NOTHING how incredibly HARD your life is, feeding yourself healthy and nutritious food 5 to 6 times a day and putting your life in a healthy position. Go ahead and tell that child how hard it is." I told him not to ever say that it is hard because he is lying when he says that. I told him "You want to know the absolute truth? Losing the weight I have so far has been easy, and I challenge anyone to give me a lie detector test to prove thane wrong." I'm not saying that I haven't felt stress having to reorganize my schedule and having less time to work or do extracurricular activities, but here is no way in hell I would call anything I did hard. He hen said, "Ok, it wasn't hard, it was time consuming." and I said "Your damned right! If you were used to, like I was, just eating food that's convenient and doesn't take any planning or preparation then this is going to be an adjustment. But we're not supposed to eat prepacked and pre-prepared food all day long every day. You need to get used to spending time in the kitchen."

Anyway my friend is joining the gym this weekend and is committed to going 3 times a week. He also started dieting on Friday and I even offered to go with him and did go with him to Trader Joe's. We walked up and down every aisle and we read labels and he selected nothing but healthy foods that he would look at as being enjoyable and yummy.

I told him there's 3 things he needs to keep in mind: FUN, EASY, and YUMMY. We repeated this the entire day. I told him not to do any exercise he didn't like, not to eat any foods unless he thought they were yummy (within healthy limits, of course) and to find ways to make it fun. He's not in prison, he's involved in self love by feeding himself nutritious and delicious foods, enjoying fun physical activities and reaping the weight loss benefits along the way. You don't like to do squats? Then don't do squats! Find a different exercise to work out your quads. You don't like to jog? Then find what you do like! You dont like salmon? Then eay tuna! What could be better than eating the foods you like and doing activities you enjoy? You want to sit on the couch the rest of your life like a fat slob? Feed yourself and be loving towards yourself and feel the synergistic energy of it all. How wonderful is that?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
April 1st, 2012 at 12:21:31 PM permalink
I've struggled back and forth with the same 30-40
pounds all my life. Taken it off, put it back on over
and over. I always tell people and I really mean it:
Any idiot can lose weight, it takes a genius to keep
it off.

And I ain't no genius. Old habits die hard, and it
takes constant vigilance to keep lost weight from
creeping back on. The workouts get fewer and