Thread Rating:

1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 1st, 2013 at 3:19:58 AM permalink
Here's my completely amateur take on this latest challenge. Someone became melancholy just before the holidays and though that posting here could be cathartic. I hope it was. She then realized that she posted too much personal information and got "poster's remorse." Other than piquing the interest of some and sending the Wizard on a wild goose chase there was no harm no foul. The best to you, Jane.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
March 1st, 2013 at 5:28:28 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This challenge has gone cold. I lost contact with pkrplr around the new year. That is the last time I drive to the Boulder Station to get a challenge going.

I don't think you should look negatively on the experience. "It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet." Your decision to meet her and possibly get another challenge going was +EV.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 1st, 2013 at 5:51:59 AM permalink
Up front money from the next person undertaking a challenge could be a great motivator.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 1st, 2013 at 7:25:36 AM permalink
I wish I had taken bets against me passing the bar exam. I struggled with motivation issues. Results come in two months. Pass rates usually hover between 80%-90%, so fair odds should be around 8-1 assuming nothing else about the test-taker.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 1st, 2013 at 7:39:07 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

I wish I had taken bets against me passing the bar exam. I struggled with motivation issues. Results come in two months. Pass rates usually hover between 80%-90%, so fair odds should be around 8-1 assuming nothing else about the test-taker.

I make money every year betting my graduating residents on whether they pass their Anesthesiology Board exam or not. It is a two part exam, and around 83% pass the written paart on their first try. Most can tell if they passed, because it is similar to exams they take throughout their residency, and those that fared above the bottom 20% on those tests rarely fail this written one. Those who did below the 10th percentile on the tests during residency rarely pass the official one.
But when it comes to the oral exam, which you can only take after passing the written one, probably 90% of those leaving think they failed! They all have heard that they don't have to be perfect, that errors are expected, but how you present yourself, and how you react under pressure is a large part of the grade. I win sushi dinners all the time betting on them passing. And they are super happy to pay me!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
March 8th, 2013 at 11:55:37 PM permalink
Hey, someone send them the "Wizard of Vegas Hot Blonde Challenge (TM)" results.

Quote:

Researchers are reporting success with using cash incentives to help people lose weight.

In a yearlong study, people were offered a chance to win or lose $20 a month if they met certain diet goals. They lost an average of 9 pounds compared to just over 2 pounds for other study participants who were not offered the chance to win money if they shed pounds.

The diet study involved 100 obese employees at the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/07/cash-bribe-dieters/1970555/
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 17th, 2013 at 2:48:55 PM permalink
6 month anniversary. HB posted a picture of herself in the WoV con thread, and still looks great. Congratulations!
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 87
April 17th, 2013 at 3:59:15 PM permalink
I didn't participate at all in this thread as I didn't really have much interest in gambling relating to losing weight. But I do want to congratulate the person who lost the weight and kept it off!

That's an accomplishment. I think it's harder to keep weight off than to lose it in the first place.

I lost 45 lbs and gained it all back. I wish I was still at least 35 lbs lighter than I am.

Anyway, congratulations, HB!!!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
April 17th, 2013 at 4:18:32 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I didn't participate at all in this thread as I didn't really have much interest in gambling relating to losing weight. But I do want to congratulate the person who lost the weight and kept it off!

That's an accomplishment. I think it's harder to keep weight off than to lose it in the first place.

I lost 45 lbs and gained it all back. I wish I was still at least 35 lbs lighter than I am.

Anyway, congratulations, HB!!!

Thank you, Ahigh. I didn't keep the weight off, but at the same time I haven't gotten even close to how much I weighed before. If I go to Vegas at the end of next month I'll likely weigh about 25 pounds heavier than when I left there 6 months ago.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
May 2nd, 2013 at 6:04:35 PM permalink
Next time I embark on a weight loss goal I should have money down. After checking out the weight loss wagering site I felt cheated...

1st time at MEPS: 12 pounds overweight
2nd time at MEPS: 3 pounds under max weight (doctor told me you just barely made it fatboy! actually he didn't say fatboy.)
1 day at basic: lost 20lb since MEPS
last day at basic: lost 15 more pounds

Went from 190lb to 140lb in a span of 1 year. Probably put on 5 or so lb though because I don't do nearly enough exercises at home then when I was at basic, and I eat better food now :)

Congrats on the incredible weight loss, and winning the bet! Best of both worlds.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous

• Jump to: