Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 432
  • Posts: 25065
October 27th, 2012 at 10:47:05 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

How could YOU possibly know how she did when you where never there?



Lucky guess. We'll never know for sure because
she visits here every day and never posts. So
my guess is she lost most of it and is super
pissed at herself. She can come here and deny
it, but I have the right to my opinion. Anytime
anything good happens, like her having a winning
few days in Vegas, she always brags about it here.
The silence we've heard is speaking volumes. And
its too late to erase that silence.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 111
  • Posts: 7981
October 27th, 2012 at 12:10:07 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Other than lucyjr and texasplummer, I call the bet complete. Thanks to all the gentleman who honored their wagers. I think about the only other thing left is DorothyGale's final remarks.



I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.
I too am interested in our resident Kansan's take on the entire affair.....
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
Joined: Nov 23, 2009
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 639
October 27th, 2012 at 12:16:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think about the only other thing left is DorothyGale's final remarks.

Toto, we're home home! And this is my room and you're all here and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all! And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
October 27th, 2012 at 12:17:13 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I too am interested in our resident Kansan's take on the entire affair.....

Kansas? I thought The Land of Oz was Australia!
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 322
  • Posts: 7033
October 27th, 2012 at 12:53:15 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.



I have to ask: where is it stated in the board's rules that such conduct is proscribed, and deemed an offense warranting being banned?

The question, of course, is rhetorical.

Banning them as you suggest would be dictatorial.
"What, me worry?"
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
Joined: May 1, 2012
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 770
October 27th, 2012 at 2:22:51 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I have to ask: where is it stated in the board's rules that such conduct is proscribed, and deemed an offense warranting being banned?



I think it would fall into the ungentlemanly behavior clause.
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 322
  • Posts: 7033
October 27th, 2012 at 2:31:39 PM permalink
'Twould be ironic, indeed, if a member who welshed caused such a furor and upheaval among the forum members that one or more posters got banned for Personal Insult of the welsher.

I would expect, in all fairness, that an admin would treat the case the same as any other, with their fingers poised over the "ban" button, same as always.
"What, me worry?"
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
Joined: Nov 23, 2009
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 639
October 27th, 2012 at 6:24:58 PM permalink
I realized, thinking about it just now, that I do owe this thread a few final words ...

Back in June, after consideration and some research on NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder), I recognized that there was real danger to HB from this thread ... I posted about NPD and how well it fit HB, and that the diagnosis was obvious .. and that gave me pause to consider the dark side of NPD, which is highly lethal suicidal thinking ... read the conclusions here in case you don't quite get what I'm saying ... .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19607766

Based on some of what she was saying and doing, I believed she was heading in the self-harm direction and it scared me ... she may still be heading that direction, especially if she puts weight on quickly or has lost a substantial part of her winnings gaming ... which is what a person with NPD would be likely to do ...

I felt that if I was a member of this site, I would inevitably post in this thread, and that couldn't possibly be a good thing for her as I usually get right to the matter at hand ... I too am impulsive ... too smart and too dumb ... my hands are too large and my fingers are too small ... I had to get out of the way of the tornado ... I could not stand the thought of what it would mean for my life if she harmed herself and I was any part of the reason ...

And somewhere along the way, I felt it all started getting very dark, a group who obsessed over this darkness, for months, who would not let it go, and who fought big and little battles over it, in private PMs, on the public boards, in telephone calls, private e-mails, and who knows what else, but I heard enough to believe it was much darker than anyone can really say ...

So I had to leave for a while, until the time passed when through my participation I could be complicit in any way with HB and the possible consequence to her health and life, which is still not clear ... she needed help, she needs help, she is still in desperate need of help ... and this wager and this thread was exactly the wrong way to help her ...

Until HB leaves this thread, until she is no longer reading it and digesting it and letting it affect her, until the wager she made with you has passed into her cloud of time, until she has found safety, there is danger being here ...
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 111
  • Posts: 7981
October 27th, 2012 at 8:39:33 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

I realized, thinking about it just now, that I do owe this thread a few final words ...

Back in June, after consideration and some research on NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder), I recognized that there was real danger to HB from this thread ... I posted about NPD and how well it fit HB, and that the diagnosis was obvious .. and that gave me pause to consider the dark side of NPD, which is highly lethal suicidal thinking ... read the conclusions here in case you don't quite get what I'm saying ... .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19607766

Based on some of what she was saying and doing, I believed she was heading in the self-harm direction and it scared me ... she may still be heading that direction, especially if she puts weight on quickly or has lost a substantial part of her winnings gaming ... which is what a person with NPD would be likely to do ...

I felt that if I was a member of this site, I would inevitably post in this thread, and that couldn't possibly be a good thing for her as I usually get right to the matter at hand ... I too am impulsive ... too smart and too dumb ... my hands are too large and my fingers are too small ... I had to get out of the way of the tornado ... I could not stand the thought of what it would mean for my life if she harmed herself and I was any part of the reason ...

And somewhere along the way, I felt it all started getting very dark, a group who obsessed over this darkness, for months, who would not let it go, and who fought big and little battles over it, in private PMs, on the public boards, in telephone calls, private e-mails, and who knows what else, but I heard enough to believe it was much darker than anyone can really say ...

So I had to leave for a while, until the time passed when through my participation I could be complicit in any way with HB and the possible consequence to her health and life, which is still not clear ... she needed help, she needs help, she is still in desperate need of help ... and this wager and this thread was exactly the wrong way to help her ...

Until HB leaves this thread, until she is no longer reading it and digesting it and letting it affect her, until the wager she made with you has passed into her cloud of time, until she has found safety, there is danger being here ...



I understand what you are saying, but don't you believe in individual responsibility? If HB did harm to herself and subsequently she blamed your post detailing her narcissistic personality disorder, would you then say that you were responsible?
At present, the only thing I can say about HB comparing her now to when she started the challenge is that she is in way better shape, thus way better health. As far as her mental health, there is absolutely no way to tell. It is totally possible that WITHOUT the challenge she may have looked herself in the mirror on October 17, seen an unhealthy obese woman, and sunk into a deep depression because of it. Who knows.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 130
  • Posts: 13941
October 27th, 2012 at 9:01:13 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.
I too am interested in our resident Kansan's take on the entire affair.....



I cannot speak for The Wiz, but I would respectfully state that I have no intention of nuking anyone, though I would be happy to send a, "Reminder," PM.

The reason that I wouldn't nuke them is simply because it is one of those rare circumstances in which the Internet mirrors RL. By this, I mean that bets are made by people who are presumed to be acting in good faith and some people will pay the bets in a timely way, some will pay late, some will pay VERY late and some not at all.

IRL, if someone welches on a bet, then that person generally lays low for awhile, and in the event that he/she does ever come back, then he/she is mercilessly ridiculed and berated about non-payment until he/she finally pays or disappears never to be seen again. I'm not saying that anyone should berate someone that doesn't make arrangements to pay a bet, even if it is pursuant to the Statler and Waldorf standard, and I'm certainly not saying that every Forum Member that has any interest in the bet whatsoever should inundate those who have failed to make arrangements to pay mercilessly with PM's until they log on just to turn PM's off so that they stop getting E-Mails, and not just Admins.

...I'd never suggest either of those things.

...Not under any circumstances.

...No, not me.

...You've got the wrong guy.

The point is that the person just keeps getting ragged on, and when he/she finally does pay, you pretend that you forgive them for the delayed payment and then you never enter into a bet with that person again. Every bet should see resolution, and payment is what truly and finally resolves a bet, so it is almost better to simply lose a bet than win and not be paid.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219

  • Jump to: