MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 313
July 21st, 2011 at 12:48:09 AM permalink
I don't know how common they are, but there have been books and movies about sports hustlers.

Pool, mostly.

I've heard of people making a lot of money hustling at golf, too.
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 21st, 2011 at 12:59:44 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Some say that golf was invented for the betting that went on.
Anecdotal information is available on some famous golfing bettors. A few years ago a Texas millionaire hired a hit man through two golfing-buddy intermediaries to kill his ex-wife in Florida. The extensive investigation of the two golf hustlers provided some more reliable data concerning their income. It seems though that except for the exceptionally well known players, golf makes money for: club designers, caddies and real estate developers.
MrV
MrV
July 21st, 2011 at 8:03:02 AM permalink
Are you familiar with that modern day gambling marvel, Billy Walters?

Most successful sports bettor, ever (hello, computers).

Golf course designer.

Loves to hustle at golf, typically with friends / cronies.

A gambler who always gambles, typically successfully.

Lives the Gambling Life the way it *should* be done.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
July 21st, 2011 at 4:09:54 PM permalink

They say Doyle Brunsun was the best golf hustler of them all.
His secret was, he never choked on the final holes, no matter
how much money was at stake. Just like at the poker table.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Clownkeeper
Clownkeeper
  • Threads: 15
July 27th, 2011 at 7:12:43 AM permalink
Maybe this would be a good idea for reality TV. Give 4 or 5 contestents $50,000 each to live and gamble on for season/year to see if it can be done. Cant be any worse than watching people sell their stuff to a pawn shop.
Fortune favors the bold
MrV
MrV
July 27th, 2011 at 8:24:34 AM permalink
Quote: Clownkeeper

Maybe this would be a good idea for reality TV. Give 4 or 5 contestents $50,000 each to live and gamble on for season/year to see if it can be done. Cant be any worse than watching people sell their stuff to a pawn shop.

Don't try it with five dolts off the street; you'd need to find some contestants who actually have a clue, as well as some discipline.

I'd like to see "famous" personalities such as The Wiz, Wong, Scoblete, and Patrick enlisted to do it.
"What, me worry?"
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 27th, 2011 at 9:23:42 AM permalink

Don't try it with five dolts off the street; you'd need to find some contestants who actually have a clue, as well as some discipline.

I'd like to see "famous" personalities such as The Wiz, Wong, Scoblete, and Patrick enlisted to do it.

That would be fun. The dolts would lose all of it in a heartbeat. You could have an amazing race type thing. You have to play poker, dice, blackjack, video poker, horses, sports, prop bets etc.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 27th, 2011 at 10:01:57 AM permalink
Quote: Clownkeeper

Make it 10 or so, and each week they have to pay rent/food bill. If they pay, food and nice accomadation is paid for. All other expenses 9travel/gambling comes out of their nut. Any who can't, get axed from the show. You can have a mix of average joe's, 'professionals' and degenerates. Put in a few special challenges (trip to races, No Limit poker tourney) with some extra cash added in.

I've wanted to do a Vegas challenge where everyone goes out with $100 (or $50), ID and a book of coupons and everyone comes back X hours later to see who has the most left.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
hook3670
hook3670
  • Threads: 38
July 28th, 2011 at 7:34:08 AM permalink
On one of the Vegas shows on Travel Channel they did a very abbriviated version of this. it was 2 guys giving gambling pointers( I think one was Tony Curtis) and they were differing on whether to gamble for fun or to gambler properly when you are in town for two or three days. At the end of the show they were each given a bankroll(I can't remember exactly how much) and were told to play 5 specific games from VP to slots to BJ and I am not sure of the other two games. Anyway they had to report back at the end and the camera followed each of them through the five games. Now obviously it was a very small sample but the play for fun guy ended up with like 50% of his bankroll left and the pro had zero left. Its possible the Wizard appeared as a guest contibuter on this show.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 28th, 2011 at 7:40:24 AM permalink
Quote: hook3670

Now obviously it was a very small sample

Yes. but you could turn into a quest for the Big Prize with each of these very small samples contributing to the project.

• Jump to: