Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
July 8th, 2011 at 4:50:28 PM permalink
I'm not surprised that this has happened.

The "gang" element has been an uphill battle for police on the strip.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
July 9th, 2011 at 8:32:36 AM permalink
Here's the most recent article about the coach Self-Defense
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
gofaster87
gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
July 9th, 2011 at 8:38:09 AM permalink
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
July 9th, 2011 at 9:54:10 AM permalink
I've never walked into a restroom and commented on someone's race. I've probably not walked into any room, ever, and commented on the race of a stranger.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but my first thought, on reading this, was to wonder whether the Utah guy (victim) made his living suing people and was trying to get hit. Only way the racial comment to a (presumably much larger) stranger makes sense.
gofaster87
gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
July 9th, 2011 at 10:02:48 AM permalink
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 9th, 2011 at 10:15:02 AM permalink
25 years ago, leg­endary golfer, Jack Nick­laus, cel­e­brat­ed an his­toric win at the 1986 Mas­ters. That mem­o­rable day, Jack was wear­ing a yel­low shirt in honor of a young fam­i­ly friend, 13-year-old Craig Smith, who died of a rare form of bone can­cer.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 9th, 2011 at 11:36:12 AM permalink
Quote: gofaster87

The article I read said he was punched outside the bathroom and death was caused by blunt force trauma to the head when he struck the ground.

Sounds normal for a one punch death... catch the victim in the right way, they go down like a sack of spuds and smash their head on the ground.

I'm constantly amazed how little it takes to kill a person and yet on the other hand the amount of punishment a person can take and survive.

Probably won't be a murder charge, normally these go to manslaughter (proving intent would be hard.. not to say that prosecutors haven't proven malice in many cases with tenuous reason before, and defenders have argued against intent when the over whelming evidence would suggest otherwise)...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
July 9th, 2011 at 1:37:33 PM permalink
I'll bet it was a sucker punch. Guy probably turned away to wash his hands thinking it was over and the other guy nailed him then.
seviay
seviay
  • Threads: 16
July 9th, 2011 at 2:59:34 PM permalink
Quote: heather

I've never walked into a restroom and commented on someone's race. I've probably not walked into any room, ever, and commented on the race of a stranger.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but my first thought, on reading this, was to wonder whether the Utah guy (victim) made his living suing people and was trying to get hit. Only way the racial comment to a (presumably much larger) stranger makes sense.

I don't make it a habit to talk to anyone in a restroom I don't know. Some people are weird about speaking or being spoken to when their genitals are outside of their pants, so I respect their special "me time." I wonder if they had a run-in at a craps table or blackjack table earlier in the evening that may have escalated on their chance run-in in the restroom?

I'd like a toxicology report on both of them, as well. It sounds like they were both at fault, but certainly not "someone should die" fault (obviously). Whether or not the white guy used a racial slur, it's still a sad situation. One man is dead, and another man is going to prison. No one wins there
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
July 10th, 2011 at 7:15:13 AM permalink
It was a tragic death and has nothing to do with any generalities to the race of the attacker or gang activity. In this case, the teacher (where's MKL?) punched the man in the jaw in the food court area of O'Sheas (the altercation started in the bathroom). Had the man not died, the man would have simply spent overnight in jail with an assault charge. But this man was unlucky, and probably had too much to drink. Hawkins will not be going to jail for a great length of time, and they'll reduce the charge to manslaughter for sure.

What I can say is that when you are in a big city with alot of people don't know each other, it's late at night, and there's drinking, your risk factors go up alot. This is the third homocide in the middle of the strip (O'Sheas, walkway between MGM Grand, and NYNY, and the walkway between Planet Hollywood and the Cosmopolitan) in a couple of weeks. This is bad news for Vegas.

Advice: if you can't handle your alcohol, don't drink alot in Vegas. In any case, when you're in public places, you gotta keep your wits around you and don't do or say anything stupid.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!

• Jump to: