18 votes (50%)
3 votes (8.33%)

36 members have voted

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 20th, 2011 at 4:04:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You went to college? You should try it sometime, pizza is pizza and beer is beer, and it all tastes better in front of a TV watching a hockey game.

Not all beer is the same though (never drink Konkanee) ... and if you've ever eaten some of the discs of dough in the UK... not all Pizza is the same either. And if it's the Maple Leafs... not all hockey is the same :)

That all said, it's a fine way to spend an evening.

The Redwings, a six-er of Phillips Red Ale and west coast pizza from Romeo's and life is Goooodddd.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 20th, 2011 at 4:13:50 PM permalink
Watching the Maple Leafs is like watching a train wreck... it gives me some warm feelings to watch the Leafs on Saturday night and to feel the familiar pain of failure...

University students rarely know what good beer is. Kokanee would have been a standard cheap beer on the West Coast. My beer of choice through college was Molson EX. Yuk.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 20th, 2011 at 4:31:03 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I guess there's something barbaric about using a computer too because it was invented about 60 years ago. Geez.

Eating with a bunch of strangers is odd behavior, I'm sorry. Eating with family and friends is not. Ever watch somebody eat? Its disgusting. Watch the dinner scenes in movies, nobody eats anything. They pick at their food and move it around, and talk. The reason for this is, movie makers learned long ago that eating does not photograph well, it makes even the most beautiful woman look awful. So they pretend to eat in the movies and nobody notices.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
RobSinger
RobSinger
  • Threads: 5
March 20th, 2011 at 4:36:25 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Eating with a bunch of strangers is odd behavior, I'm sorry. Eating with family and friends is not. Ever watch somebody eat? Its disgusting. Watch the dinner scenes in movies, nobody eats anything. They pick at their food and move it around, and talk. The reason for this is, movie makers learned long ago that eating does not photograph well, it makes even the most beautiful woman look awful. So they pretend to eat in the movies and nobody notices.

How odd....
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 20th, 2011 at 4:41:31 PM permalink

As for room service vs going down to the hotel bar, when travelling alone, I usually opt for room service. I'm on business and get reimbursed. The hotel bar means that you have to remain dressed and be sociable, which is the last thing I want to be doing when I've been dealing with my client all day.

The US government decided that it didn't want to look at restaurant receipts. They decided it wasn't cost effective, but they still look at hotel receipts. For example, if you travel to Las Vegas they would give you $71 for food and incidental expenses, and smaller of the room rate on your hotel bill (before tax) or $93. You could eat dog food, or filet mignon for all they care. The true avantage players would try to find a hotel room for $93 that also provided food.

My guess is that if you were re-imbursed the same way, you would be motivated to spread that $71 around a little more effectively. But men would take the $71, and buy some good food at the bar. Women would settle on mediocre food in room service because they relished the idea of someone bringing them a cooked meal without having to appear in public.
RobSinger
RobSinger
  • Threads: 5
March 20th, 2011 at 4:52:27 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The US government decided that it didn't want to look at restaurant receipts. They decided it wasn't cost effective, but they still look at hotel receipts. For example, if you travel to Las Vegas they would give you $71 for food and incidental expenses, and smaller of the room rate on your hotel bill (before tax) or $93.

It's been a while, but in my time with the US Gov't I spent 90% of my time on travel. The policy was exactly as you say. There were, however, addendums to the policy that stated you must provide meal receipts if it totalled higher than the per diem for the city you were visiting and you wanted to be reimbursed for all of it. You had to provide a reason as well as the name of your guest(s) or else you only got the per diem. The hotel reimbursement was a little easier to work. If it was $93 and you felt you were safer or it was more efficient for whatever reasons to be staying at a hotel that cost $149, then all we had to do was provide rationale and there was no issue.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 20th, 2011 at 7:08:23 PM permalink
Quote: RobSinger

The hotel reimbursement was a little easier to work. If it was $93 and you felt you were safer or it was more efficient for whatever reasons to be staying at a hotel that cost $149, then all we had to do was provide rationale and there was no issue.

The hotel charge was limited to 150% of standard rate ($139.50 in this case) regardless of your reason. In hundreds of trips I only went over the fixed rate once. It was in the Mafia run city of Catania, Sicily. The hotel rate is now $210, but in 1993 it was something like $70.

I didn't want to stay at a fleabag hotel down at the docks, but I wanted to stay at the Sheraton where I felt safer. When I got to the Sheraton the whole place was covered with teenage military men all openly displaying Uzzi's. It turns out that the deputy PM of Italy was in town and staying at the Sheraton. He was there for the trial of Mafia Don whose arrest sparked the car bombing at the Uffizi gallery in Rome. The huge security contingent was there in case there was an attempted assassination. It would have probably been safer at the shipyards.

Quote: London Times

Bomb Outside Uffizi in Florence Kills 6 and Damages Many Works
Published: May 28, 1993

A powerful car bomb exploded early today on a street behind the Uffizi Gallery, killing 6 people and wounding 26, and destroying or damaging dozens of works in the gallery's priceless art collection.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 20th, 2011 at 7:29:44 PM permalink
As a Leafs fan whose blood flows blue and white, I was about to lash out in a tirade about 'faith' and how 'when we finally win it, it'll be worth it.' Then, remembering that this is a gambling website, I realized that the gaming equivilent of this thinking falls somewhere in the neighborhood of 'Keno player'. /sigh. Tirade aborted.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 20th, 2011 at 8:34:05 PM permalink

Watching the Maple Leafs is like watching a train wreck... it gives me some warm feelings to watch the Leafs on Saturday night and to feel the familiar pain of failure...

I've only been watching hockey for about four years, and rather lucked into supporting a team that plays well and has done for 20 years.

Quote:

University students rarely know what good beer is. Kokanee would have been a standard cheap beer on the West Coast. My beer of choice through college was Molson EX. Yuk.

Amen, but I got a good education early on in the UK from a couple of beer tickers... I've been a bitter drinker for years, but started drinking better lagers. But the first beer I tried on arrival in Canada was Kokanee. For some reason, the fact it was advertised and I'd never heard of it meant I figured it had to be good.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 20th, 2011 at 8:53:33 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I've only been watching hockey for about four years>> But the first beer I tried on arrival in Canada was Kokanee..

Beer is good with pizza when watching hockey on TV, even in your hotel room in Vegas.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: