darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
June 23rd, 2021 at 7:21:34 AM permalink
1) Using the fundamental theorem of advanced Calculus, and applying the formula that the square of a distance from the origin to "P" is equal to "X" squared plus "Y" squared plus "Z" squared, what is the point of the plane where X+4, Y-1, Z = 26.

2) What would 13 to the ninth power be and then give the square root of that product?

These questions are given to Dexter Riley in the Disney film "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes"

I have the answers (also from the film) but for all I know these aren't even real math questions.

If they are real I figure some people might like a crack at them
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 23rd, 2021 at 8:19:22 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

1) Using the fundamental theorem of advanced Calculus, and applying the formula that the square of a distance from the origin to "P" is equal to "X" squared plus "Y" squared plus "Z" squared, what is the point of the plane where X+4, Y-1, Z = 26.

2) What would 13 to the ninth power be and then give the square root of that product?

These questions are given to Dexter Riley in the Disney film "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes"

I have the answers (also from the film) but for all I know these aren't even real math questions.

If they are real I figure some people might like a crack at them

#2 is simple enough - in fact, as I recall, in the movie, Dexter was asked the question just to see if he would work it out in his head.

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (the integral from a to b of the first derivative of f(x) with respect to x = f(b) - f(a)) has nothing to do with this.
I think the question is, what are the ordered triples (x, y, z) such that (x-4)^2 + (y-1)^2 + z^2 = 26?
Even if it is limited to integers, there are multiple sets; any permutation of (1, 3, 4) in (x-4, y-1, z) should work.

Side note: in 1987, Disney ran the annual College Bowl national championship tournament; I think it was in conjunction with a TV-movie remake of the film. There was a bit of a controversy; if I remember correctly, one of the regional tournaments had given out questions used in 1982 as practice questions, unaware that questions are recycled every five years, and quite a few teams had heard some of the questions in advance. (Example:
"Eight second, eight minutes, or eight hours-"
(player buzzes in) "Eight minutes"
"What was I going to ask?"
"How long does sunlight take to reach Earth?")

Side note #2: for the first time since then, College Bowl was on TV last night (6/22), with Payton Manning as host. However, it looks like it has been "dumbed down." I like the traditional format (four players per team; buzz-in "toss-up" question for 10 points; if correct, the team gets a bonus question usually worth 20-30 (occasionally, but rarely, 35) points that they can discuss with each other) better.
  • Jump to: