Thread Rating:

CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
May 11th, 2021 at 9:41:10 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I imagine there is a good story there, if it came by surprise. Care to share?

My sister had taken an Ancestry test, and when she got the results, she called me and said that she had an unexpected cousin on there. I assumed that he was my cousin also, but I had taken a 23 and me test and didn't recognize anyone with that last name. Maybe it was just denial, but it didn't quite hit us, and we were trying to come up with explanations. After sleeping on it, we both came to the same conclusion that we had different fathers. Then, we both downloaded our DNA and then uploaded the results to GEDMatch, which can use results from any service. The results came back, and we found out that we were not full siblings.

My sister contacted her cousin, and just said that she matched him and was really trying to wrap her mind around what was going on. They figured out that it was likely his uncle, who had no other kids. When she spoke with him, it all matched up - he was in flight school at the time in the same area as us and he had a 1 night stand with a woman he met at a bar. They followed up with a formal DNA test, which confirmed the relationship. My sister and her kids have been up here a handful of times to see him and to meet the rest of the family. The kids call him grandpa, and they seem genuinely happy to see him.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

She must have been heart broken. It's very sad for everyone. Like I said before, it's common more than we think. A man can barely hide it but a woman can in most cases when races are similar to expectation.

No love lost. There are two people in the family she really cares about - me and our (my) grandma. To me, it doesn't matter, she's still my sister and the rest of the family won't find out until grandma is dead. Neither one of us talk to our mother, which has nothing to do with this - she's just a terrible person who always causes trouble. My mother at some point has told all of us that she wouldn't be surprised if we weren't our dad's. I thought she was just being spiteful, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were true. My sister hasn't talked to my dad in years, again, nothing to do with this, but nothing I want to discuss. Turns out, she has found an immeasurably better father out of the deal.
I heart Crystal Math.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanks for this post from:
CrystalMath
May 11th, 2021 at 9:54:37 AM permalink
That's a lot to go through Crystalmath. I'm glad you and her are taking it well.
Follow me: https://www.heavensgate.com/
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 432
May 11th, 2021 at 10:20:11 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

That's a lot to go through Crystalmath. I'm glad you and her are taking it well.

My father and his family are from West Virginia. Why in God's name would I want to know the secrets of THAT family. I went through that area 10 years ago and it looked like it was still 1979. Rusty gas pumps that did not take credit cards, girls in cut-off jeans and boys with mullet haircuts. Potholes so big it would swallow your entire vehicle. 75% of the businesses on Main Street we're boarded up. This is the area my dad's family is from. He has four brothers and soon as they were old enough they all joined the Navy and never went back to West Virginia except to visit watch later.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: