Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
May 1st, 2021 at 9:23:02 PM permalink
Crocodile Dundee and the band Men at work really fooled me into thinking an Australian accent is quite mild, guess the same is true for English UK, I really struggle to understand them at all. Their accent is sometimes like a speech impediment in America.
I am a robot.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 5925
May 2nd, 2021 at 1:27:47 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Crocodile Dundee and the band Men at work really fooled me into thinking an Australian accent is quite mild, guess the same is true for English UK, I really struggle to understand them at all. Their accent is sometimes like a speech impediment in America.

Indeed, it cuts both ways. I sometimes struggle to understand American accents in relaxed chats. I suspect we all subconsciously adopt a 'telephone voice' when needed, but when relaxed and chatting with local friends, our use of dialect increases.
You probably underestimate regional and cultural variations, too. Some regions have very crisp and easily understood accents and that's where call centres spring up.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
May 2nd, 2021 at 1:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Indeed, it cuts both ways. I sometimes struggle to understand American accents in relaxed chats. I suspect we all subconsciously adopt a 'telephone voice' when needed, but when relaxed and chatting with local friends, our use of dialect increases.
You probably underestimate regional and cultural variations, too. Some regions have very crisp and easily understood accents and that's where call centres spring up.

Yup definitely thought of you. No wonder I'm spelling gray grey. I like this channel, but he can be really hard to grab his words. What's more I used to think English and Australian were nearly identical lol.



Added: I completely forgot I even prefer closed captioning for regular American English. I can hear, I cannot understand unless it's really premium sound like in my car, and that's mainly music which words become clear for the first time. Usually closed captioning is so I don't get lost with American English.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on May 2, 2021
I am a robot.
Wellbush
Wellbush
Joined: Mar 23, 2021
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 824
May 3rd, 2021 at 12:37:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.



Actually, to clarify, Marmite is a different product, but quite similar to Vegemite, from memory. Ill try and buy some and give you the low down. I think it may not taste quite so bad as Vegemite, but well see. I definitely think Promite would be heaps better than both, and I have some in my cupboard.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 48
  • Posts: 1935
May 3rd, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM permalink
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Wellbush
Wellbush
Joined: Mar 23, 2021
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 824
September 20th, 2021 at 4:02:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.

  • link to original post

    Just getting back to you on this wiz, sadly, there's hardly any difference in taste. The sugar content in Marmite is about 5%, whereas Vegemite it's about 2%. Promite is also an Australian product but quite nice. Well worth a try. Sugar content is up around 10 or 13%.
    All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.

    • Jump to: