Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
April 17th, 2021 at 7:48:01 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

That's a nice Avatar, it looks very similar to a former member's Avatar.

Yeah what are the odds identical kangaroo avatars are so popular?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 17th, 2021 at 10:37:56 AM permalink
Isn't the kangaroo the national food of Australia? That and vegemite, but few would recognize a slice of vegemite.

Maybe a can of Fosters?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 17th, 2021 at 6:43:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Isn't the kangaroo the national food of Australia? That and vegemite, but few would recognize a slice of vegemite.

Maybe a can of Fosters?

Foster's didn't seem to be that popular the times that I have been to Austrailia. Victoria Bitters (VB) beer seemed to be the choice of most people that I met.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
April 17th, 2021 at 6:51:01 PM permalink
True, but would a sock puppet know that?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
April 18th, 2021 at 4:10:28 AM permalink

few would recognize a slice of vegemite.

I think vegemite is a spread? Always wanted to try it.
DRich
DRich
April 18th, 2021 at 6:15:24 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I believe you are correct. In the past I have seen it in a jar.
billryan
billryan
April 18th, 2021 at 6:56:29 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I believe you are correct. In the past I have seen it in a jar.

I've seen whiskey in a jar. Does that make it a spread?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 18th, 2021 at 7:12:18 AM permalink

I've seen whiskey in a jar. Does that make it a spread?

What’s your point? Vegemite is a spread.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 18th, 2021 at 12:53:27 PM permalink

Believe me you really don't. It's a yeast paste and tastes exactly as bad as it sounds.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
April 18th, 2021 at 1:55:00 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

What’s your point? Vegemite is a spread.

Kraft sold vegemite singles, just like they sell cheese slices. A grilled cheese and vegemite sandwich is a slice of each.
Sliced vegemite is ,or at least was, a real thing.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 18th, 2021 at 2:03:29 PM permalink

Kraft sold vegemite singles, just like they sell cheese slices. A grilled cheese and vegemite sandwich is a slice of each.
Sliced vegemite is ,or at least was, a real thing.

I did not know that. Thank you.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 18th, 2021 at 2:52:39 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Believe me you really don't. It's a yeast paste and tastes exactly as bad as it sounds.

Found something I can agree with evenbob on. Virtually inedible.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 18th, 2021 at 4:03:56 PM permalink

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan
April 18th, 2021 at 4:06:45 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

I did not know that. Thank you.

Now you know where to turn to if you ever need utterly useless information like this.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
April 18th, 2021 at 4:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.

Different brands. Kind of like Heinz vs Hunt's ketchup.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
April 18th, 2021 at 4:18:39 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Different brands. Kind of like Heinz vs Hunt's ketchup.

Marmite is a yeast extract product made from by-products of beer brewing. It's the quintessential 'love it or hate it' product from UK manufacturer Unilever. They made spoof ads about the fact you either love it or hate it. Nothing in between. It's been around since 1907.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Vegemite is a similar product made in Australia previously made by Kraft foods. It's been around since 1922.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.

I'd say, broadly the same.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
April 18th, 2021 at 4:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Foster's didn't seem to be that popular the times that I have been to Austrailia. Victoria Bitters (VB) beer seemed to be the choice of most people that I met.

Fosters is rarely even sold in Australia. It’s basically for export only. Can’t even remember the last time I saw it here. Maybe 20 years ago in a bottle shop and never in a bar.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 18th, 2021 at 4:45:40 PM permalink

If you didn't start eating it as a little kid, you're going to hate it. Like English blood sausage, if you were raised eating it you think it's great. If you eat it for the first time as an adult, you want to head for the restroom and barf. In the Far East it's durian, a kind of fruit. People who live there love it, foreigners hate it because it has an overwhelming ammonia odor that you can smell a block away after it's cut open.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 18th, 2021 at 4:50:47 PM permalink
Quote: Aussie

Fosters is rarely even sold in Australia. It’s basically for export only. Can’t even remember the last time I saw it here. Maybe 20 years ago in a bottle shop and never in a bar.

Having been to Australia twice, I agree. My go-to beer there is Victoria Bitter. I think the locals just call it VB.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 18th, 2021 at 5:14:22 PM permalink
Time for discussion-3!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
April 18th, 2021 at 5:15:52 PM permalink

Having been to Australia twice, I agree. My go-to beer there is Victoria Bitter. I think the locals just call it VB.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 19th, 2021 at 4:00:42 AM permalink

If you didn't start eating it as a little kid, you're going to hate it. Like English blood sausage, if you were raised eating it you think it's great. If you eat it for the first time as an adult, you want to head for the restroom and barf. In the Far East it's durian, a kind of fruit. People who live there love it, foreigners hate it because it has an overwhelming ammonia odor that you can smell a block away after it's cut open.

I tried durian in Thailand. Hard for me to see how it is considered ‘food’! One hotel we stayed at had a ‘No durian’ sign, kind of like a ‘no smoking’ sign here....
Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
April 19th, 2021 at 7:29:37 AM permalink

If you knew how it tastes, you probably wouldn't want it. Promite's similar but much nicer. Stick to Promite.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 7:56:26 AM permalink

I can't remember what Marmite tastes like, but Promite is something I like, and I think it's far better than Vegemite. Vegemite does well in the waste bin. Marmite would be a different product, but how different, I don't know.

BTW, Once Dear tells me I use a VPN that puts me squarely in Australia. Now I thought VPNs were meant to disguise one's location. So much for VPNs. And, I've never disguised the fact that I'm Australian, in my posts. OD also says that my posts are being watched closely. He/she can be my guest. OD seems to think that me using a VPN is somewhat immoral, and ODs ability to scan is quite questionable because OD seems to miss quite a lot of the information within my posts.

Anyway, what seems strange is why OD doesn't just PM me and ask for my phone number? That would clearly show what country I'm from, and help allay any fears I'm a sock, coz he/she would be speaking to someone (me) in person. OD would need to let me know approx. when he/she's going to call, coz I get spam calls from the US that I don't answer.

I could go on and on, but as this is just a BTW kind of post, I'll refrain.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:06:51 AM permalink

True, but would a sock puppet know that?

Yeh, you're right. I'm a sock puppet. Now that that's out the way, I'm a very clever sock puppet and know all about Australia.

What'ya wanna know? Beer...depends what state in Australia you're from, because people are rather parochial and tend to like the beers that are served up in the state they're from. Fosters, New South Wales, I believe. So if you're from there, you'll generally back Fosters.

Kangaroo? Ahhh, good for the dog, or disguised in a slow cooked stew. Vegemite, see the above posts. Anything else?
Last edited by: Wellbush on Apr 19, 2021
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:15:56 AM permalink

Victorians will back it, but other states may suggest you try their favourite beer. Get my drift? It depends what state in Australia you're from, or travelling in, that will recommend the beer to drink.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:21:00 AM permalink

Yes, true. I can understand those from countries other than Australia, not liking Vegemite. I was brought up here and never really liked it, but I can certainly stomach it. One way it can be enjoyed is on a soft fresh bread bun with margarine or butter. But that's about it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 19th, 2021 at 4:36:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I tried durian in Thailand. Hard for me to see how it is considered ‘food’! One hotel we stayed at had a ‘No durian’ sign, kind of like a ‘no smoking’ sign here....

Durian has such a bad ammonia smell it has been known to drive customers away. It's so bad that some places have ordinances against eating Dorian outdoors.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 19th, 2021 at 5:56:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

Victorians will back it, but other states may suggest you try their favourite beer. Get my drift? It depends what state in Australia you're from, or travelling in, that will recommend the beer to drink.

I've only been in New South Wales and saw VB everywhere. I can't think of any other brand to have nearly it's level of dominance. Of course, that doesn't mean it's good, but I still liked it.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 19th, 2021 at 6:01:55 PM permalink
More Vicoria Bitter is sold in Australia, by volume, than any other.

The one brand we know of here in the USA, Fosters, is not particularly popular down under.
"What, me worry?"
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 6:33:37 PM permalink

I've only been in New South Wales and saw VB everywhere. I can't think of any other brand to have nearly it's level of dominance. Of course, that doesn't mean it's good, but I still liked it.

Yeah, that could be true. I’m not from that part of Australia, nor much of a beer drinker. I have traveled fleetingly to most parts of Australia years ago, and I’m just recalling my experiences from then. The other brands from those parts are Tooheys and Carlton. XXXX is a Queensland beer and Emu - Western Australia.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 6:48:00 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

More Vicoria Bitter is sold in Australia, by volume, than any other.

The one brand we know of here in the USA, Fosters, is not particularly popular down under.

I’m not a beer connoisseur but Fosters could be an interesting brand to look at. I’m pretty sure it got quite popular and profitable in foreign markets (that may just be the US?), and the company may have even been bought out by a foreign owner?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
April 19th, 2021 at 6:56:36 PM permalink
The last two pages of posters should be suspended for hijacked thread.

Suspension list discussion of Vegemite.

Wizard should take a day at least.

:)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
April 19th, 2021 at 7:12:08 PM permalink

I have also only been to NSW. Both of my trips were business and we were really only in Sydney.

I drank many VB's, probably too many, but I really don't remember it being good or bad. Just another beer.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 19th, 2021 at 9:21:57 PM permalink
Just wondering: As a "people," who drinks more beer: Aussies or Kiwis?
"What, me worry?"
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 11:34:43 PM permalink

I think they both drink s;&t loads
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 20th, 2021 at 6:02:03 AM permalink

Aussies. They are 17th in consumption per capita. Kiwis are 27th. Us Yanks are 20th.

Source: List of countries by beer consumption per capita.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
Joeman
April 20th, 2021 at 10:22:59 AM permalink
I just split off this thread hijack from the 'discussions about the suspensions list'. It was a harem scarem moment, since that thread is so big and broken.

Rebuke to all the above posters ( except one) in this hijack, including wizard and oncedear
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
odiousgambit
April 20th, 2021 at 11:26:03 AM permalink
I always lumped Fosters in with Outback Steakhouse inasmuch as in the US, at least, they both seemed to spring up from the fascination with Australia brought about by the movie Crocodile Dundee in the 80's. I always figured that both were about as "Australian" as I am.

Granted, Fosters did originate in Australia, but I doubt that any of the Fosters I have drunk in my lifetime were brewed there. I read that in the 2000's, Fosters was indeed imported... from Canada!

By the way, I stopped drinking Fosters when they downsized their "oil cans" from 32 oz to 24 oz. Hey, Fosters, did you think we wouldn't notice?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
April 20th, 2021 at 1:18:08 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

By the way, I stopped drinking Fosters when they downsized their "oil cans" from 32 oz to 24 oz. Hey, Fosters, did you think we wouldn't notice?

That was a good thing. Drink less bad beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 1st, 2021 at 9:23:02 PM permalink
Crocodile Dundee and the band Men at work really fooled me into thinking an Australian accent is quite mild, guess the same is true for English UK, I really struggle to understand them at all. Their accent is sometimes like a speech impediment in America.
I am a robot.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 2nd, 2021 at 1:27:47 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Crocodile Dundee and the band Men at work really fooled me into thinking an Australian accent is quite mild, guess the same is true for English UK, I really struggle to understand them at all. Their accent is sometimes like a speech impediment in America.

Indeed, it cuts both ways. I sometimes struggle to understand American accents in relaxed chats. I suspect we all subconsciously adopt a 'telephone voice' when needed, but when relaxed and chatting with local friends, our use of dialect increases.
You probably underestimate regional and cultural variations, too. Some regions have very crisp and easily understood accents and that's where call centres spring up.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 2nd, 2021 at 1:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Indeed, it cuts both ways. I sometimes struggle to understand American accents in relaxed chats. I suspect we all subconsciously adopt a 'telephone voice' when needed, but when relaxed and chatting with local friends, our use of dialect increases.
You probably underestimate regional and cultural variations, too. Some regions have very crisp and easily understood accents and that's where call centres spring up.

Yup definitely thought of you. No wonder I'm spelling gray grey. I like this channel, but he can be really hard to grab his words. What's more I used to think English and Australian were nearly identical lol.

Added: I completely forgot I even prefer closed captioning for regular American English. I can hear, I cannot understand unless it's really premium sound like in my car, and that's mainly music which words become clear for the first time. Usually closed captioning is so I don't get lost with American English.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on May 2, 2021
I am a robot.
Wellbush
Wellbush
May 3rd, 2021 at 12:37:29 PM permalink

Actually, to clarify, Marmite is a different product, but quite similar to Vegemite, from memory. I’ll try and buy some and give you the low down. I think it may not taste quite so bad as Vegemite, but we’ll see. I definitely think Promite would be heaps better than both, and I have some in my cupboard.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
May 3rd, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM permalink
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Wellbush
Wellbush
September 20th, 2021 at 4:02:09 PM permalink

• link to original post

Just getting back to you on this wiz, sadly, there's hardly any difference in taste. The sugar content in Marmite is about 5%, whereas Vegemite it's about 2%. Promite is also an Australian product but quite nice. Well worth a try. Sugar content is up around 10 or 13%.
    • Jump to: