Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 18th, 2021 at 2:03:29 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Kraft sold vegemite singles, just like they sell cheese slices. A grilled cheese and vegemite sandwich is a slice of each.
Sliced vegemite is ,or at least was, a real thing.

I did not know that. Thank you.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 18th, 2021 at 2:52:39 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Believe me you really don't. It's a yeast paste and tastes exactly as bad as it sounds.

Found something I can agree with evenbob on. Virtually inedible.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1399
April 18th, 2021 at 4:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Believe me you really don't. It's a yeast paste and tastes exactly as bad as it sounds.

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 203
April 18th, 2021 at 4:06:45 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

I did not know that. Thank you.

Now you know where to turn to if you ever need utterly useless information like this.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 22
April 18th, 2021 at 4:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.

Different brands. Kind of like Heinz vs Hunt's ketchup.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear 
  • Threads: 50
April 18th, 2021 at 4:18:39 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Different brands. Kind of like Heinz vs Hunt's ketchup.

Marmite is a yeast extract product made from by-products of beer brewing. It's the quintessential 'love it or hate it' product from UK manufacturer Unilever. They made spoof ads about the fact you either love it or hate it. Nothing in between. It's been around since 1907.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Vegemite is a similar product made in Australia previously made by Kraft foods. It's been around since 1922.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.

I'd say, broadly the same.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
April 18th, 2021 at 4:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Foster's didn't seem to be that popular the times that I have been to Austrailia. Victoria Bitters (VB) beer seemed to be the choice of most people that I met.

Fosters is rarely even sold in Australia. Itís basically for export only. Canít even remember the last time I saw it here. Maybe 20 years ago in a bottle shop and never in a bar.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
April 18th, 2021 at 4:45:40 PM permalink

If you didn't start eating it as a little kid, you're going to hate it. Like English blood sausage, if you were raised eating it you think it's great. If you eat it for the first time as an adult, you want to head for the restroom and barf. In the Far East it's durian, a kind of fruit. People who live there love it, foreigners hate it because it has an overwhelming ammonia odor that you can smell a block away after it's cut open.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1399
April 18th, 2021 at 4:50:47 PM permalink
Quote: Aussie

Fosters is rarely even sold in Australia. Itís basically for export only. Canít even remember the last time I saw it here. Maybe 20 years ago in a bottle shop and never in a bar.

Having been to Australia twice, I agree. My go-to beer there is Victoria Bitter. I think the locals just call it VB.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
April 18th, 2021 at 5:14:22 PM permalink
Time for discussion-3!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.

• Jump to: