Thread Rating:

OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 50
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:40:17 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Correction... colonoscopy is for colon cancer screening, not prostate cancer screening.

Thanks. I stand corrected. It was colon cancer testing I had and I don't recall ever having been invited for a prostate check! I'll request one soon.
At my most recent 'regular check' it was bloods and BP, breathing efficiency and a chat about any concerns such as diet, drinking, moles or whatever. No insurance needed and no charges for these services at the point of delivery. No charges for asking any questions or extra tests.
During current covid restrictions, most GP appointments are by phone or video call with diagnosis by uploaded photos for visible things.

I can see how a fear of costs might keep ill and infectious folks from getting diagnosed or treated.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 22
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:49:28 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I don't recall ever having been invited for a prostate check! I'll request one soon.

Over here, those are a routine part of an annual physical starting at 40, so that may be why you haven't had one. It don't know your age.

It should not hurt when the doc presses against the prostate. If it does, you need to say something. It's just a feeling of being invaded that is the odd part. In the states, after the doc is done with that, he rubs the finger along a test strip that tests for minute particles of blood. If that comes back positive, further tests might be done.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 8:26:42 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Over here, those are a routine part of an annual physical starting at 40, so that may be why you haven't had one. It don't know your age.

Way over 40 and not generally routinely examined.
Quote:

It should not hurt when the doc presses against the prostate. If it does, you need to say something. It's just a feeling of being invaded that is the odd part. In the states, after the doc is done with that, he rubs the finger along a test strip that tests for minute particles of blood. If that comes back positive, further tests might be done.

I have no concerns at the indignity or discomfort. Will get a checkup booked.
Thanks to EB for the prompt.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 8:36:06 AM permalink

Way over 40 and not generally routinely examined.
I have no concerns at the indignity or discomfort. Will get a checkup booked.
Thanks to EB for the prompt.

WOW! I Just Learned Something.
Quote: UK NHS

There's currently no screening programme for prostate cancer in the UK. This is because it has not been proved that the benefits would outweigh the risks.
PSA screening
Routinely screening all men to check their prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels is a controversial subject in the international medical community. There are several reasons for this.

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
April 2nd, 2021 at 9:38:55 AM permalink

I thought the percentage of older men affected was far higher,

African men are far more likely to get it than any other race and that skews the numbers.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 10:14:48 AM permalink
My wife had a colonoscopy (Jan,2020) by Dr. P and was told that she had colon cancer. She was told that she would have to have an operation and be required to wear a colonoscopy bag for the rest of her life. We were told that the operation would take place at a Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) in NY.

I questioned why she had to go 60 miles to NY to have the operation. I was told that it was the best cancer hospital in the US. The local hospital had just added a 20 story cancer center and I said that there must be someone there that could perform the operation. Dr. P then referred us to Dr. A.

He took a biopsy and said that he didn't think she had cancer. To be on the safe side he recommended that she have chemo with Dr. T and radiation treatment with Dr. W. She went to all the treatments at the local hospital.

It's been 15 months since she was told that she had colon cancer. We went last week to see Dr. A and he told her that she was cancer free!

She went from having to wearing a colonoscopy bag to being "cancer free". She will have to have annual follow up visits to Dr. A.

I am certainly glad that we got a second opinion.

• Jump to: