ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
December 7th, 2020 at 10:51:08 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

...nitrous...

Public service announcement: the formula for "nitrous oxide" is N2O. Accept no substitute!

I remember a news story years ago about the theft of a tank of another of the nitrogen oxides. The authorities were warning that the tank did not contain nitrous oxide but another compound that was deadly if inhaled.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
December 7th, 2020 at 10:51:34 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I've been reading about Tony Hsieh
Too many of the wealthy have succumbed to drugs
What I find shocking are the nitrous stories
Apparently Tony loved nitrous
Thats scary because somebody with his money, you can buy huge tanks of it
I used to see those tanks after concerts, run by the nitrous mafia but thats another story
I've done quite a lot of Nitrous in my life . Essentially its N02. One nitrogen molecule attached to 2 oxygen molecules
Its quite a buzz
but
I never got addicted to it. Most dont
So sad and kind of weird with nitrous being one of the drugs of choice for Tony.

It's actually N2O. I was in college in the 90s and it was very popular back then. Someone would show up at a party with a tank and charge 5 dollars a balloon. You could tell which party by the balloons on the sidewalk outside. Two friends of mine used to make a lot of money doing that. They would get the tank refilled at a warehouse (possible a food supply place, I don't remember).
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
December 7th, 2020 at 10:59:47 AM permalink
It kind of makes sense. Mr. Hsieh was a big believer in happiness and whippets will make you very happy. For about ten seconds.
I have no idea if they are legal, or if this would cause you to fail a drug test, but it was pretty common knowledge that he indulged in them.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
December 7th, 2020 at 11:16:36 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It kind of makes sense. Mr. Hsieh was a big believer in happiness and whippets will make you very happy. For about ten seconds.
I have no idea if they are legal, or if this would cause you to fail a drug test, but it was pretty common knowledge that he indulged in them.

Nitrous oxide expert here. You would not fail a drug test unless it was administered seconds or at most minutes after you used it. It is used as an anesthetic, but is a very weak one. The 'gases' we use in anesthesia require a 1 or 2% concentration to put you to sleep for a full surgical operation. If you were only to use Nitrous Oxide you would need a concentration which exceeds 100%. remember, you need 20% oxygen, so max Nitrous Oxide possible concentration is 80%. In practice, we rarely exceed 70%. So Nitrous is never a sole anesthetic, but if combined with narcotics (fentanyl) or benzodiazepines (midazolam) it can be effective.

When I give N2O it is always mixed with supplemental oxygen. I have no idea if recreational users do so. If not, hypoxia is a real risk.

It has fallen out of favor in modern practice, as it does (theoretically) increase the likelihood of post op nausea. Apparently it is super cheap, so is still used in poorer countries a lot.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 7th, 2020 at 11:34:45 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I have no idea if they are legal,

Whippets are definitely legal, sold in stores. The question is why? Unlike other inhalants, like glue, bath salts, that have a practical purpose, I don't see any practical purpose for whippets? Can anyone enlighten me?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
December 7th, 2020 at 11:38:47 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Whippets are definitely legal, sold in stores. The question is why? Unlike other inhalants, like glue, bath salts, that have a practical purpose, I don't see any practical purpose for whippets? Can anyone enlighten me?

Aren't they used in baking cakes or something like that?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
December 7th, 2020 at 11:51:13 AM permalink

Used to create whipped cream
You can go the the grocery store, buy canned whipped cream. Normally you shake it. turn upside down and out comes whipped cream
Or
You can not shake it. Keep it upright. Release the gas, suck on the tube and get a nitrous hit.
Professional whipped cream devices use the small nitrous canisters called whippets to create whipped cream

Had a crazy friend. Bought a case of canned whipped cream. Sucked the gas out of all of them. Tried to return the case to the store. He was crazy and insistent they take it back and give him his money. Store called the cops
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 53
December 7th, 2020 at 12:36:39 PM permalink

The legitimate use is whipped cream.

While they are legal for culinary uses, it is illegal to use it to get high, just like paint, glue, solvents, etc.

If you look at the warning label on any of these products commonly used to get high, it will say something like ďitís a violation of federal law to use this product in any way other than itís intended useĒ
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
December 7th, 2020 at 2:26:25 PM permalink
Someone recently told me about Nitrous.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
December 7th, 2020 at 2:37:44 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Someone recently told me about Nitrous.

It was everywhere back in the day at Grateful Dead concerts
Its everywhere at Phish concerts
My last nitrous hit was Dec 31 outside the Chase Center in San Francisco at a Dead and Company concert
I really like nitrous
But not as much as Tony apparently.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.

• Jump to: