Last edited by: Mosca on Oct 22, 2020
NO KILL I
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
Thanks for this post from:
Mosca
October 22nd, 2020 at 2:50:52 PM permalink
Years ago I used to play a game from TSR that was loosely based on the Lord of The Rings. There were a number of rules, but the one that caught my attention was buried deep inside another one. It said that under certain circumstances one was allowed to lie and even cheat if the situation warranted it. I'm not sure why they wasted their time with any other rules as this was all one needed.
We must have played it a dozen times and the ring never got out of the Shire.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 38
Thanks for this post from:
Mosca
October 22nd, 2020 at 4:18:37 PM permalink
I recently read an old (2016) article in the New Yorker discussing Bridge cheating at the top levels of play. It's longish, but does examine the player's dilemma of ethical play...

Quote: The New Yorker

Expert poker players often take advantage of a skill they call table feel: an ability to read the facial expressions and other unconscious “tells” exhibited by their opponents. Bridge players rely on table feel, too, but in bridge not all tells can be exploited legally by all players. If one of my opponents hesitates during the bidding or the play, I’m allowed to draw conclusions from the hesitation—but if my partner hesitates I’m not. What’s more, if I seem to have taken advantage of information that I wasn’t authorized to know, my opponents can summon the tournament director and seek an adjusted result for the hand we just played. Principled players do their best to ignore their partner and play at a consistent tempo, in order to avoid exchanging unauthorized information—and, if they do end up noticing something they shouldn’t have noticed, they go out of their way not to exploit it. Unprincipled players consciously take advantage of such information. And, occasionally, they go a great deal further than that.

Full article here.

-----------------------------------

Speaking of the The New Yorker...

Quote: billryan

New Yorkers do not have accents. The rest of the world speaks funny.

Here's a famous cover from the mag showing a New Yorker's world map...

It seems that New Yorker's have actually heard of Las Vegas.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

• Jump to: