DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
October 19th, 2020 at 6:28:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

At this point my main chance of learning is if I end up in Club Fed and have hours a day to kill.

That is awesome and probably the same for me.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
Thanks for this post from:
Torghatten
October 20th, 2020 at 6:31:55 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

In my opinion, the "secret" to contract bridge is having a partner and working out details on what bids mean what. Most bids are meant to be signals. For example, Three No Trump is usually a request for your partner to tell you how many aces they have (IIRC, 4 clubs = none, 4 diamonds = 1, 4 hearts = 2, 4 spades = 3, and 4NT = 4).

. Ummm.... No! You are confusing 3NT , which is generally a last bid stopping at ‘game’ from ‘Blackwood’ which is 4NT!

And yes, bridge is the ULTIMATE team game! You MUST know what your partner means with every bid.
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
October 20th, 2020 at 6:56:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

. Ummm.... No! You are confusing 3NT , which is generally a last bid stopping at ‘game’ from ‘Blackwood’ which is 4NT!

And yes, bridge is the ULTIMATE team game! You MUST know what your partner means with every bid.

This, and today its more common to use the king of trump as the "5th ace". 5C= 0 or 3, 5D=1 or 4, 5H = 2 without trump queen, and 5S=2 with trump queen.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
October 20th, 2020 at 7:36:17 AM permalink
If you starting out it's best to stick to a few conventions and keep everything simple. You can always add other things later on.

This is based on UK Acol, but I imagine the same applies to 5-card majors/Strong NT system/2 over 1.
1 NT - Stayman (add transfers later on)
2 NT - Stayman or Baron
2C - strongest bid (2D negative, 2N 2nd negative)
2DHS - strong (2N negative) (add Benji, weak 2's etc. later on)
3x - Pre-empt
3N - Strong (this has a different meaning in Acol - long minor)
4x - Pre-empt
4N - Strong (this has a different meaning in Acol - direct Ace asking)

4N Blackwood: 5C=0...5N=4 aces. 5N asks for Kings, 5 unbid major says stop in 5N. (Use 4130 or similar system later.)

Cue Bidding - only use when agreed a suit and reversing probably come later.
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 39
October 20th, 2020 at 8:34:29 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Any bridge players on the forum?

Played bridge since age 5 -- that's when my dad taught me the game and somehow it stuck.

For many years I competed in duplicate bridge tournaments regionally and nationally. I also helped start OK Bridge with Matthew Clegg, maybe 1992/1993 or so, back in the day when we played online using an ASCII board and the interface required a Unix telnet connection. We all encouraged Matt to quit his day job and turn OK Bridge into a professional product. There were so few of us that Matthew even programmed special features just for us, like if this one player Worf bid 3 Hearts then up would pop "Putz Alert!" It was a lot of fun.

My one most lucky event was in Las Vegas in maybe 2002 -- I was hired to teach a course on blackjack card counting to the bridge players at the tournament and they invited me to play in the master+ sectional. I had a partner I picked up and somehow we got lucky on every board and won the whole thing. Everyone wanted to be my partner the next day, but it was just pure luck as my results the next day proved.

I quit playing bridge in 2002 after my partner (who was from Egypt, looks middle eastern and has a strong accent) kept getting horrible things said to him and all sorts of penalties for things he didn't do -- in the wake of 9/11. I figured out who these bridge players were, most of them, and that was enough for me to quit for good.
Last edited by: teliot on Oct 20, 2020
Visit my YouTube Channel: @AdvancedAdvantagePlay
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
October 20th, 2020 at 10:17:00 AM permalink
I never played in a tournament, but am very curious about what sort of penalties you can get and who calls them? Does your opponent make a complaint and officials make the calls?
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 39
October 20th, 2020 at 10:33:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I never played in a tournament, but am very curious about what sort of penalties you can get and who calls them? Does your opponent make a complaint and officials make the calls?

Yes, your opponent usually makes the call of a penalty, the tournament director listens to the claim and makes a decision. The typical decision on a board that goes against you just has you getting a "bottom" on that board. But other things can happen.

I'll tell the story of the last case that led to my quitting bridge. In it our opposing team called the director over claiming that my opponent was taking too long to make his decision and was giving me information in how he looked at me, which was upheld by the T.D. and we got a bottom. Under our opponent's breath, I heard her as she mumbled "damn Arabs!" I lost it. She was making claims just because she hated my partner. I called her racism out right there in the hall, creating a bit of a scene, and then I called out all the other people in the bridge center who had expressed similar sentiments about my Egyptian partner. You could hear me shouting at them in the next building over shouting, "you're all a bunch of f*king racists! It got to be a huge shouting match, and they tried to push me out of the hall. When they put their hands on me, I called the sheriff to make a battery claim and when he interviewed a few folks they all claimed that I had been the physical aggressor, which was total b.s. The sheriff said to me that "I've got a room full of people in there who said you started this, what do you want me to do?" So, I dropped my claim and quit bridge. There was a formal hearing, but my partner didn't show up, so that went against me. Then I got a certified letter from the ACBL, which I declined to receive (Twice) -- I can only imagine it was a permanent ban and not an apology.

Now that I work & volunteer for the P.D., I understand that my actions were a 415 p.c. -- so it could very well have gone the other way. But, in 2002 the world of bridge was full of 60 yr. old plus entitled white folks who hated Arabs because of 9/11 and I had enough.

Truth is, they also hated us because we were two young smart players who used systems they didn't fully understand and often got first or second place, winning the points and money prizes. All these nice old ladies didn't much care for the young arrogant bullies. We tried to be nice and respectful, but they hated how we actually played the game, it was just too hyper-modern for them to tolerate.
Last edited by: teliot on Oct 20, 2020
Visit my YouTube Channel: @AdvancedAdvantagePlay
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
October 20th, 2020 at 1:29:33 PM permalink
I know nothing about bridge so excuse my ignorance. From what I’m reading certain bids tell your partner what you need or have, so doesn’t the opposing team also understand those bids and therefore also know what you are communicating?
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 43
October 20th, 2020 at 2:39:42 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I know nothing about bridge so excuse my ignorance. From what I’m reading certain bids tell your partner what you need or have, so doesn’t the opposing team also understand those bids and therefore also know what you are communicating?

Yes, so those bids help your opponents to plan a defense if your team gets the bid.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
October 20th, 2020 at 3:00:59 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Unlike poker, it usually pays to tell the truth. A simple auction might be 1NT, 3NT. This means the defence need 5 tricks before declarer can make 9. All the bidding has shown is the the opener has 15-17 points and dummy has 10+.

Sometimes in bidding it's best to bid quickly rather than giving out too many clues (i.e. making more bids). So with say S AKxx H Kxx D xxx C xxx you would tend to raise 1NT to 3NT rather than ask (via Stayman) whether partner had 4 Spades.

Also in defence you have to agree a signalling method. Typically you might play or throw a high card to encourage that suit and a low card to discourage it (other systems are available!). So on Partner's lead of an Ace you tell partner whether that suit should be continued. (A reasonable play is if dummy only has a singleton, i.e. partner will need to switch to something else, then a high card says play the higher of the remaining suits, and low means lower. This is known as McKenney.)

• Jump to: