Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 222
  • Posts: 12289
Thanks for this post from:
SanchoPanza
May 23rd, 2020 at 5:31:22 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz



Through the Vietnam war plenty of Americans had their constitutional rights to freedom violated. It was called the draft.

I think the government said it was an emergency.



No, the Constitution gave Congress the power to raise and support armies. Which is considered to mean to allow a draft as that is how armies were raised if not enough volunteers were found.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 7600
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:14:13 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

No, the Constitution gave Congress the power to raise and support armies. Which is considered to mean to allow a draft as that is how armies were raised if not enough volunteers were found.



So....

You are willing to give up your freedom if the government says it's for the greater good as long as it's in the constitution.

There is a certain delicious irony in that!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
Joined: Oct 11, 2010
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 170
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:37:09 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I believe there is a single casino in Union Springs NY that is ignoring Cuomo (sovereign land?) and is open already.



Yes. The Cayuga Nation. They are pretty militant. They are having an internal power fight. The two factions take over, by force, different properties owned by the Cayuga nation on a regular basis. One faction just bulldozed about a dozen buildings controlled by the other (about 2 miles from my house). The "casino" is about twice the size of my garage. Although it's only about 15 miles from my home, I've never been in it.
racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 411
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:04:08 AM permalink
Just something I thought I would add in among all these on-topic, non-political responses:

TV interview with folks from Foxwoods: "We will not stop you from entering but we are not actively marketing to anyone other than Connecticut and Rhode Island."

So you NY and MA non-solicited gamblers... COME ON DOWN!
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 7600
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:06:03 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

Just something I thought I would add in among all these on-topic, non-political responses:

TV interview with folks from Foxwoods: "We will not stop you from entering but we are not actively marketing to anyone other than Connecticut and Rhode Island."

So you NY and MA non-solicited gamblers... COME ON DOWN!



Actually quite a boon to casino

Gambling without comps. If you are willing
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 177
  • Posts: 10081
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:12:06 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Actually quite a boon to casino

Gambling without comps. If you are willing



A good shepherd knows his flock.
coilman
coilman
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
  • Threads: 130
  • Posts: 1096
May 23rd, 2020 at 9:11:36 AM permalink
ďLas Vegas can never be known as the place where people go and get sick,Ē he said.


https://apnews.com/a115ed1e561b5d0e9721dfabfca3ce55
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 2178
May 23rd, 2020 at 11:10:10 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: unJon

Quote: billryan

Quote: unJon

Quote: billryan

Quote: Calder

The ease with which the First Amendment may be ignored is astonishing to me.

"It's for your own good, so the the Bill of Rights doesn't apply in this case." Oh, okay, thanks!

Lots of these orders are coming from people who [used to] fancy themselves civil libertarians.



Some people like to say the Constitution isn't fluid and we must examine what the Founding Fathers intended.
My copy of the Constitution says that Congress shall pass no law restricting religion. Has Congress done so?
I do agree that it is strange that so many self proclaimed religious people seem more upset about not being able to go to a bar than go to church.

Are you suggesting that the government doesn't have the power to restrict movement and people in an emergency? A government that can conscript one segment in a national emergency would also be able to restrict others.

I canít tell if you are ignoring the 14th amendment or arenít aware of it.



So are you arguing it's a 1st amendment issue or is it a 14th Amendment issue?
I don't think it is either. It's the government's job, no,it's their duty ,to protect the general welfare. If you don't like it, vote in a new government. Don't show up with long guns trying to bully those who disagree with you.



No. Iím pointing out that you saying that the first amendment refers to ďCongressĒ is misleading in ignoring the effect of the 14th amendment. Thought that would be clear.

Your attack on me is insulting and unwarranted. I didnít say I didnít like it. I didnít show up with a gun or bully anyone. Why so political all the time? Get your politics out of here. Seriously. Get a grip.



I'd ask you what attack, but then I realized I don't really care. I never associated you with the people who bring semi-automatic weapons to demonstrations, but whatever floats your boat.

Huh. You told me not to show up with long guns and bully people. Itís right in the quotes.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3477
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:24:59 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

You are willing to give up your freedom if the government says it's for the greater good as long as it's in the constitution. There is a certain delicious irony in that!

It is not "irony." It is what is called public service. Millions of Americans have always volunteered for it in different forms for centuries. The draft was instituted when more troops were needed. Just ask Abraham Lincoln.
And not only have the results mostly been extremely positive. But also the unseen personal rewards of accomplishment. Too bad that so many today are missing that.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 7600
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
May 23rd, 2020 at 2:04:33 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

It is not "irony." It is what is called public service. Millions of Americans have always volunteered for it in different forms for centuries. The draft was instituted when more troops were needed. Just ask Abraham Lincoln.
And not only have the results mostly been extremely positive. But also the unseen personal rewards of accomplishment. Too bad that so many today are missing that.



Yeah, Vietnam was a very popular war with lots of success stories from those forced to give up their freedoms and lives for the American government.

They fought so that today's Americans commit suicide if they have to stay home for two weeks during a pandemic
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee

  • Jump to: