Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 174
  • Posts: 9725
April 20th, 2020 at 1:46:55 PM permalink
This is a civics statement, not a political one.

A Governor can shut a casino for a health emergency. A Governor can not ban smoking. That is up to the State Legislature.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
April 20th, 2020 at 2:12:01 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

I’m not completely sure smoking and vaping will be banned from the casino floor. Logic of trying to create the best clean air, clean surface environment says it should be banned...but so far the actual edict of no smoking has not been said.

If allowed....this Governor is a COMPLETE hypocrite that “health” is driving all his decision making.

Time will tell.

Just seems you're similar to someone cheering a horse race. Not much of a shock a Governor is being perceived as a hypocrite. It's kind of the job of a politician to try to get things moving as best they can and not caring to make sense in the process compared to overall results of just getting it done. Logic would also be require every mask a patron wore would be brand new and functional, or the masks would be dirtier than anybody smoking a cigarette. Not sure what kinds of masks they're planning on using, and who is paying for them.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 2383
April 20th, 2020 at 2:45:46 PM permalink
What is it 1999? How is smoking indoors in any public space or business open to the public possibly still up for debate.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6973
April 20th, 2020 at 2:51:23 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

What is it 1999? How is smoking indoors in any public space or business open to the public possibly still up for debate.



Ummmm..... because it is legal in many places despite your (and my!) total disdain for it.

I HATE that it is legal at my local Native American casino. But I understand the risk I take every time I enter. If enough people would not enter because of smoking, they would change the rules.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 576
April 20th, 2020 at 3:16:21 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

This is a civics statement, not a political one.

A Governor can shut a casino for a health emergency. A Governor can not ban smoking. That is up to the State Legislature.


He can very easily tell them he will not let them open until they ban smoking. He says his decisions are based purely on health first, not business first.

I assume there is going to be some give and take. Whatever decisions are being made on opening are being submitted to him for review....at which point he will make the call.

He’s not changing the law.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
April 20th, 2020 at 3:34:37 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

He can very easily tell them he will not let them open until they ban smoking. He says his decisions are based purely on health first, not business first.

I assume there is going to be some give and take. Whatever decisions are being made on opening are being submitted to him for review....at which point he will make the call.

He’s not changing the law.

He says isn't good enough an argument, you already know he doesn't really care. Wants the best plan for business possible, a smoking ban was never part of the business plan for Nevada before. I'm still amused, starting to think it's not PC to be amused anymore.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
April 20th, 2020 at 3:39:26 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

What is it 1999? How is smoking indoors in any public space or business open to the public possibly still up for debate.


When Ohio first had a smoking issue as part of our constitution, I had seen them covering a large group of Red Cross volunteers sitting at a table watching the vote. It appeared they had ordered food, and had been there a long time, all had glasses of water and soft drinks. No alcohol, that's why it's still up for debate. $$$$ It's bad for business or people wouldn't have to go to the ballots in the first place. Just a good 'ol lynching. Was also a main factor I stopped going to bars and started driving out of state to even go to casinos, so I suppose it worked out for me. Too soon to tell lol.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1113
April 20th, 2020 at 3:41:24 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Ummmm..... because it is legal in many places despite your (and my!) total disdain for it.

I HATE that it is legal at my local Native American casino. But I understand the risk I take every time I enter. If enough people would not enter because of smoking, they would change the rules.


Here in Washington, tribal casinos are the only places that permit smoking indoors. Consequently, the casinos attract even non gamblers who smoke, those who remember the old days when they lit up everywhere. I no longer go anymore.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
April 20th, 2020 at 4:24:57 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

I’m not completely sure smoking and vaping will be banned from the casino floor. Logic of trying to create the best clean air, clean surface environment says it should be banned...but so far the actual edict of no smoking has not been said.

If allowed....this Governor is a COMPLETE hypocrite that “health” is driving all his decision making.

Time will tell.



That is a great point, TD. Smoking pollutes the air and it is actually very disgusting! Covid19 is invisible and odorless. They both kill people and make them very ill. Smoking is allowed in casinos (although they tried for a minute to ban it). The difference is that Covid19 effects are immediate (which causes all kinds of problems with overwhelming the system) while smoking effects are long term. Of course one could argue that smoking is big business and makes smokers feel good while covid19 fails to match those same characteristics.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 572
April 20th, 2020 at 5:00:58 PM permalink
If they have banned smoking in poker room at the casino, they can easily do it for the entire casino. Poker players who are addicted to smoking still play poker. Didn't kill the poker rooms when they banned smoking, in fact the numbers of players increased.

  • Jump to: