Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 169
April 4th, 2020 at 12:51:33 PM permalink
(idle speculation)

Folk medicine, Is it starve a fever, feed a cold.

Where is coronavirus on the scale? It's a fever.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
April 4th, 2020 at 12:55:12 PM permalink
(more idle speculation)
Are diabetics more at risk with high blood sugar on a ventilator or low blood sugar? So, you wake up blind; you're still alive.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 4th, 2020 at 1:26:49 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

IIf you are a demented 92 year old with a broken hip, suffering in pain, but also DNR, you will be given opiates which while helping to alleviate your pain, might push you over the edge as well. But when the end comes, you won't be intubated.

TIA
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 4th, 2020 at 3:14:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

In any disease where 99% will just naturally get better in a few days WITHOUT ANY TREATMENT, the number of patients you must give a drug to to assess it's efficacy is in the tens if not hundreds of thousands. Any doctor, who took care of even 100 patients, will have seen the majority recover under any circumstances.

I have no direct knowledge of coronavirus, but I'd bet that chloroquin helps a little at least. But as I've said a bunch of times, if the death rate is around .6%, saving 10% of those would mean you'd need such a large sample to prove it was effective and not just variance.

I wouldn't doubt if it helped somewhat. I was mainly criticizing Gordon's use of the word "overwhelming" with regard to that survey. Hydroxychloroquine + ZPak probably is better than no treatment at all, but it's not some miracle treatment either unfortunately.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
April 4th, 2020 at 7:01:17 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Hydroxychloroquine + ZPak probably is better than no treatment at all, but it's not some miracle treatment either unfortunately.

Watching the parade of doctors on TV, countless numbers of them from around the world appear to disagree with you. According to them the math also says that it's results are statistically relevant.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 4th, 2020 at 7:12:18 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Quote: tringlomane

Hydroxychloroquine + ZPak probably is better than no treatment at all, but it's not some miracle treatment either unfortunately.

Watching the parade of doctors on TV, countless numbers of them from around the world appear to disagree with you. According to them the math also says that it's results are statistically relevant.

I read more than watch TV. And those ~6000 doctors in that survey didn't seem to be heavily convinced. And Fauci doesn't seem heavily convinced either as far as I can tell. If it was a "miracle cure" the death rate should markedly decrease. Not just marginally.

But if those drugs give you hope, more power to you.
Keyser
Keyser
April 4th, 2020 at 7:17:54 PM permalink
Based on what I've read and viewed, the drs, and experts are saying otherwise. Perhaps you're falling victim to spin and social influencers.

Regarding Dr. Fauci...back in Dec/Jan. he really dropped the ball like the rest of the CDC. Their sole job is to foresee these things. They failed terribly at their job. Dr. Fauci said that the virus was nothing to worry about on CNN and that it would be no worse than the flu. I'm not real impressed with him.

Since Dr. Fauci screwed up so badly back then, how do we know that he's actually staying informed and up for the task now?
Last edited by: Keyser on Apr 4, 2020
rxwine
rxwine
April 4th, 2020 at 8:03:17 PM permalink

Based on what I've read and viewed, the drs, and experts are saying otherwise. Perhaps you're falling victim to spin and social influencers.

Regarding Dr. Fauci...back in Dec/Jan. he really dropped the ball like the rest of the CDC. Their sole job is to foresee these things. They failed terribly at their job. Dr. Fauci said that the virus was nothing to worry about on CNN and that it would be no worse than the flu. I'm not real impressed with him.

Since Dr. Fauci screwed up so badly back then, how do we know that he's actually staying informed and up for the task now?

December and jan, did he have direct access to the virus except for the word of the Chinese?
Keyser
Keyser
April 4th, 2020 at 9:12:08 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

December and jan, did he have direct access to the virus except for the word of the Chinese?

He's supposed to be the head guy! He's supposed to have access to all of the information and Intel. The president imposed the travel ban on Dec 31 and recognized the threat, why didn't Fauci???

Like I've said, I'm not impressed with the guy at all! I don't like the idea of him being in charge of recommending when we should impose or lift any kind of quarantine or social distancing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 429
April 4th, 2020 at 9:44:40 PM permalink

Like I've said, I'm not impressed with the guy at all!

When you go back and read and
listen to Fauci, it's frightening. He
was pooh-poohing this virus and
almost laughing at it. In Dec and
Jan he thought it was a big nothing
burger, and now he's the go to
expert? Wasn't he appalled when
Trump put the travel ban on China
early on?
I think he's embarrassed he screwed
up so badly and is now over compensating
in the other direction.