Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 223
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
May 15th, 2019 at 10:56:44 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I just had to google Jason Kidd, Junior Seau, and Marcus Allen...

I just died a little on the inside...
When I die, I want everyone who ever worked with me on a group project to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 15
Mission146beachbumbabsAyecarumba
May 15th, 2019 at 11:18:09 AM permalink
I'll add my story. I've flown with a lot of famous people... Jerry Lewis, Pat Boone, Al Unser Jr., Tom Arnold.. .the list goes on... but never sat beside any of them... except one.

Back in 2002, I was flying from Philadelphia to Dallas and I was upgraded to first class. So I took my spot, and then a gentleman boarded and sat beside me. He said hello and I heard an accent... but I didn't know who he was. (I should mention this is before the days of wifi on planes, as well).

So there wasn't much spoken beyond the niceties between two strangers sitting together, but after the meal, I went to the rest room and the flight attendant said to me.."do you know who you're sitting beside?". I said no.. and she said that's James Sheridan, he's an Oscar winning director.

I don't watch much in the way of movies so I was unfamiliar with him.

So I head back to my seat, and he has to get up to let me into the window seat, so as I'm seated, I say.. ."so... I hear you're a movie director". What brings you to Dallas? He mentioned he was going to a premiere of his new movie. So we talked about that for a bit. I admitted that I wasn't much of a movie fan, but what other movies has he made that I might know. He mentioned "My Left Foot" and "The Boxer". I had not seen either of them (and admitted that to him) but recognized the titles.

So we ended up chatting about general things for the rest of the flight. As I stood at baggage claim with him, whoever was meeting up with him greeted him, and then he asked if I would be interested in coming to the premiere. I said absolutely yes! His assistant took my name and number.

We showed up the next night at the movie theater, and they had two seats reserved with my name on it, we watched the movie, and then afterwards James came in a did a Q&A with the audience. As he was answering one question, he spotted me in the audience, and literally stopped answering the question, waved and said "Hi rsactuary!", and then carried on and answered the question. It was so cool!

So that's probably my favorite "met a famous person" story.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 67
Mission146
May 15th, 2019 at 11:26:31 AM permalink
On a Southwest flight I sat in a middle seat between football player Brian Urlacher and another player who I have no idea who he was. Both just listened to music and never said a word the whole flight.

Many years ago I was in First Class and sat next to golfer Tom Kite. He was enjoyable to talk to.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 17
May 15th, 2019 at 12:58:20 PM permalink
Dang... judging by all the sports celebrity encounters you guys are having, I've probably run into a few myself, but never realized it because I don't follow sports and have no idea who any of those people are.... haha...

I had a friend that tried hitting on an Olympic gymnast once (one of the more famous ones at the time; she had multiple medals), but she shut him down hard. He got a laugh out of it, though; I think he did it just to say he did it. He was one of those guys who would do things just to have a funny story to tell later on.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 223
May 15th, 2019 at 1:35:42 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Dang... judging by all the sports celebrity encounters you guys are having, I've probably run into a few myself, but never realized it because I don't follow sports and have no idea who any of those people are.... haha...

I had a friend that tried hitting on an Olympic gymnast once (one of the more famous ones at the time; she had multiple medals), but she shut him down hard. He got a laugh out of it, though; I think he did it just to say he did it. He was one of those guys who would do things just to have a funny story to tell later on.

Did your friend speak Romanian? Nadia Comaneci seemed pretty aloof.
When I die, I want everyone who ever worked with me on a group project to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1184
May 15th, 2019 at 1:55:03 PM permalink
I've briefly met quite a few celebrities, but nothing more than a quick word, autograph, or picture together. The biggest would be George W Bush.

I can say I played chess and spoke with David Guterson for about two hours when we were stranded in port of a Washington State Ferry, due to bad weather.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
May 15th, 2019 at 2:00:07 PM permalink
A few years ago at G2E, I went to a reception where I saw Gene Simmons. A lady next to me asked if she could get a picture, and he said only if you get that drink away from me, so I offered to hold it for her. He said he had too many drinks spill on him and he had to pay the cleaning bill. After she got a picture, he walked up to me and started playing with my beard. When I asked if I could get a picture, he said ďIím standing here, arenít I?Ē He seemed pretty cool. I think it was the same year I saw George Lopez, and he was a real jerk. I donít go out of my way to see celebrities at G2E, but there are always several.
I heart Crystal Math.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 65
May 15th, 2019 at 2:31:52 PM permalink
I have met Barry Gibb from The Bee Gees. :) Lovely man. :)
And his wife is is lovely too. :)

I met Lee Thompson Young, lovely man, :) but sadly RIP. :(

I met Kelly Rowland and Gabrielle Union, both lovely ladies. :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 147
Mission146
May 15th, 2019 at 4:02:14 PM permalink
I spent a fantastic evening with John Lennon, Yoko and Sean about two weeks before he was killed. I wrote about it last December if anyone wants to read the whole story. One of the best, most unexpected nights of my life.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
May 15th, 2019 at 4:20:21 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I spent a fantastic evening with John Lennon, Yoko and Sean about two weeks before he was killed. I wrote about it last December if anyone wants to read the whole story. One of the best, most unexpected nights of my life.

Of course I want to read about it! Link, please?
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: