WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 95
May 14th, 2019 at 8:26:09 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

What the heck, dude... you need to write a book or something... haha...

Thanks man... Im actually having fun in some spare time writing a script for a movie. I characterize it as Rounders meets Wall Street meets The Hangover in a Romantic Comedy.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 20
May 14th, 2019 at 8:45:15 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Science: Glenn Seaborg (discovered Plutonium). Edward Teller (Invented Hydrogen Bomb). Hans Bethe (Nobel Prize in Physics)

Sports: I met Muhammed Ali in the Albuquerque airport. (I think that tops Ted Williams.)

Music: Michael Jackson - stood next to him in the Miami airport and said hello.

Broadway: When I was 16: Mary Martin (Peter Pan).

Film (and broadway): Julie Andrews (Of everyone I have ever met, the one person with the most 'presence' - who most electrifies a room just by being in it.)

NBA: Chris Mullins and Bill Wennington went to a party in my parent's home when I was young. They were friends of my sister, at St. John's Univ.

Poker: I've played with Tony Dunst and Vince Van Patten. (okay, not at all impressive.) Vince busted me out of a tournament with an 8-5.

Government: James Schlesinger gave me an award. He had been CIA Director, Defense Secretary, Secretary of Energy and Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission (under Nixon.)

I have met and talked with many senators and congressman and military Generals and a few presidential cabinet members. Some I have briefed in their offices, ridden in their cars, etc.

I have a funny Tony Dunst story. Last year before game 4 of the western conference finals my friend and I were playing 5/10 short handed at Aria getting the game going. A young guy sat down while we were 5 handed. We played for a few hours until we had to leave for the hockey game. When I stood up I looked at the young guy at the full table and asked if anyone has ever told him that he looks like the reporter from poker on tv. He said no he’s never gotten that. At this point the Asian guy to my right looked at me and said “that’s Tony Dunst”, Tony smiles and I had a good laugh.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 149
May 14th, 2019 at 9:40:23 AM permalink
In the Fall of 1994, I was opening my first big club. I'd worked in much bigger ones, but this one was mine, or would be as soon as I ponied up the money my investors put into it. About a month out, I'm contacted by Laura Brannigan's manager. She was originally from Jackson Heights, or had some connection and wanted to do a show in her backyard. We went back and forth and finally agreed on a date that was a week after my original scheduled opening. Now the plan is to do a soft opening a few days before her show and market it as the Grand Opening Party.
One thing after another goes wrong and we miss our soft opening completely. In fact, my crew and I did an overnite on Friday just to get the place close to being ready. The sound system is out of whack, the bathrooms still have wet paint on them and an hour before our scheduled opening, one of my partners pushes a huge glass door instead of pulling it and it shatters into a billion pieces. We now have no door to keep out street noise and the train that runs directly overhead. Ms. Brannigan arrives and my Manager and I discuss things with her. We tell her the sound system isn't ready and offer to pay her money without performing. She insists on going on and the sound is horrible. People are booing and the crowd is restless. Laura stops performing and goes into a lengthy spiel about growing up and having to go into Manhattan to go clubbing and how great this place will be after the kinks get straightened out. Her sound guy does heroic work and gets the sound system to work a bit better but it was strictly amateur night. Ms Brannigan finishes her set and leaves, sending her assistant to pick up her things. The night as a whole was just this side of a disaster but within a few weeks, we had long lines outside most nights.
In the Spring, there is a huge celebration at Flushing Meadow Park. Queens Day can attract a half a million people to the park and the music stage can attract upwards of fifty thousand to see a performer. I'm working as a volunteer and run into Laura backstage. I sheepishly ask if she remembers me and we have a laugh about how badly everything was. She asks me the name of the club and what street it is on. She goes on ,right after Otis Day and the Knights and just before the headliners, one of Tony Morans girl groups.
Ms. Brannigan puts on a terrific show, and ends the performance with an incredible reggae/ soca/acoustic Gloria that had the crowd going nuts. She comes out for an encore but before performing tells the crowd that after the show, she will be hanging out at my club and she just might perform a song or two.
She never did show up to perform, but many people did, and for months afterward, people would come in and ask if she was going to be around. Somehow, a rumor that she was a partner in the club got started.
Not long afterward, her boyfriend got very sick and she pretty much retired to take care of him. He passed away and she died not that long afterward. She was a real class act.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 95
May 14th, 2019 at 4:44:01 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

What the heck, dude... you need to write a book or something... haha...

I have a boat load of stories... the memories are coming back. Ill post a few more. The following are the coolest sports celeb and the biggest D^&head Ive ever met.

Coolest- Junior Seau! Circa 2000, I met him at a celebrity golf outing and played in his foursome. Super cool and super down to earth. We partied all night and late night went back to hotel lobby where are we ordered tons of food. He was talking about several players that were at the tournament and starting laughing when Antonio Langham pulled up in his Bentley. He said that he wasn't surprised that Antonio was always broke since he was making close to league minimum and driving a Bentley. Joking...but not really. At the end of the night when the check came, he signed the bill to Antonio's room. He said if that &/!! Can afford a Bentley, then he can pay for our meal. LOL.

Biggest D#/^head- Marcus Allen! We were at a restaurant in LA. My crew and I were hanging out at the bar having drinks. Marcus walked toward us and introduced himself to a couple of the hot chicks that were with us. No problem, I'm cool with that. I went to shake his hand and tell him I was a fan. I went in with the Bro Shake, which is not uncommon, and he took his hand back and said shake my hand like a white person. I couldn't believe it. Dudes got issues.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
May 14th, 2019 at 4:53:07 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Biggest D#/^head- Marcus Allen! We were at a restaurant in LA. My crew and I were hanging out at the bar having drinks. Marcus walked toward us and introduced himself to a couple of the hot chicks that were with us. No problem, I'm cool with that. I went to shake his hand and tell him I was a fan. I went in with the Bro Shake, which is not uncommon, and he took his hand back and said shake my hand like a white person. I couldn't believe it. Dudes got issues.

Absolutely a huge D####ad. Banged his mentors wife, the guy who helped him through USC and in the NFL.

And abandoned him in his greatest time of need.

Saw Marcus in Tahoe in 2015 at the celebrity golf event and yelled while he walked through the ropes if he would be there for his friend when he got out. Got the look of death from him.

Piece of s###.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
May 14th, 2019 at 5:37:18 PM permalink
Met a fair amount of athletes when I was a kid, went to a lot of training camps, scrimmages and stuff where athletes tend to be more available.

Anyway, onto adulthood. Once upon a time way back when a forum member here and I were doing the spotter BP routine, he spots and calls me into a table Jason Kidd was playing at at Mandalay Bay. Asked him after I left why he spotted Kidd’s table as there might be more attention there, in typical fashion his response was “Who’s Jason Kidd?”
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on May 14, 2019
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 18
May 15th, 2019 at 8:07:33 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

“Who’s Jason Kidd?”

I just had to google Jason Kidd, Junior Seau, and Marcus Allen, so I'm in the same boat as your friend.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 228
May 15th, 2019 at 8:54:25 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Absolutely a huge D####ad. Banged his mentors wife, the guy who helped him through USC and in the NFL.

And abandoned him in his greatest time of need.

Saw Marcus in Tahoe in 2015 at the celebrity golf event and yelled while he walked through the ropes if he would be there for his friend when he got out. Got the look of death from him.

Piece of s###.

Boz, when that "friend" and mentor is O.J. Simpson, it may not be a bad thing to get as far away from that situation as possible.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
May 15th, 2019 at 9:08:44 AM permalink
I had assumed his mentor was Micky Crimm.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
Thanks for this post from:
TigerWu
May 15th, 2019 at 9:14:18 AM permalink
Oh, I forgot about this one. I played poker with this guy at CP. He was nice and we chatted a little bit.

I was on his table the next day too and we chatted some more. Cool, laid back guy.

Near the end of the session, someone says, "hey, are you Mark Ingrham*?" Indeed it was. I probably shoulda recognized him since I root for Alabama. But they wear helmets.

He bought pizza for the whole table, and the pizza place at CP is a massive rip off. Probably cost him $80.

On the other hand, he correctly folded a pair of jacks as an overpair to me when I had a set. I was pretty frustrated. Rich guys aren't supposed to fold overpairs.

*To save Tiger Wu a google, he is a running back who won the heisman trophy at Alabama and then played for The Saints. I think he's on a new team now.

• Jump to: