Baseball -Eight Men Out, 42
Figure Skating - I, Tonya
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
April 27th, 2019 at 5:26:17 AM permalink
Football. Rudy, The Blind Side, Remember The Titans

Baseball. A League Of Their Own

Golf. Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore(Call me crazy, but even though HG is a COMEDY, it does focus on overlooked hardships of Caddies).
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 27th, 2019 at 7:59:37 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Hockey: Youngbloods

I love you

Quote: ddloml

Figure Skating - I, Tonya

Quote: Mother Harding

Lick my ass, Lorraine, she can do a fucking triple

Good pull. One of the only movies I watched in '18. Was terribly pleased.

Hockey: Miracle
Baseball: Sandlot
Golf: Tin Cup
Basketball: White Man Can't Jump (but can score Rosie Perez so who cares)
Football: Concussion
Street Racing: The Wraith
Stock Car Racing: Stroker Ace
Bobsled Racing: Cool Runnings
Race against the clock: Vanishing Point
Martial Arts: Bloodsport/ Lionheart (it's the same movie)
Boxing: Ali
Soccer: Ladybugs
Video Games: King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters (f@#$ you Billy Mitchell you rat cheat lookin like an extra from Miami Vice)
Tennis: 404 ERROR
Dance: Saturday Night Fever
Arm Wrestling: Over the Top
Wrestling: The Wrestler
Dodgeball: Dodgeball
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
April 27th, 2019 at 8:02:50 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Boys in Company C - film culminates in exciting soccer game

That's a weird movie, but good... even has R. Lee Ermey as a Drill Sergeant. First half or so is like a straight up Vietnam War movie. Then there's a big soccer game out of nowhere. Like they had two different scripts and had to jam them together to get one movie.

Some good sports documentaries: Pumping Iron, Pulling John, Bigger Faster Stronger... and I forget the name but a few years ago I saw a really good doc about the Miracle on Ice game told from the Russians point of view.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 95
April 27th, 2019 at 8:27:41 AM permalink
Soccer - Victory (aka Escape to Victory)
Football - Friday Night Lights (Remember the Titans would have been a better movie if it would have stuck to the real story more, but I guess nobody would be interested in a movie where every game but one early-season one was won in a blowout)
Basketball - On Hallowed Ground (I've heard a lot about Hoop Dreams - the movie that made AMPAS overhaul its documentary rules - but have never seen it)
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
April 27th, 2019 at 8:48:07 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

(I've heard a lot about Hoop Dreams - the movie that made AMPAS overhaul its documentary rules - but have never seen it)

I started watching Hoop Dreams years ago but it was soooooo boring I couldn't even finish it. I think it's over three hours long.

Another good baseball movie is Mr. Baseball. Not sure if that's been mentioned yet.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 235
April 27th, 2019 at 9:32:31 AM permalink
Battle of the sexes looked good but haven't seen it yet
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 27th, 2019 at 10:31:11 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Soccer - Victory (aka Escape to Victory)
Football - Friday Night Lights (Remember the Titans would have been a better movie if it would have stuck to the real story more, but I guess nobody would be interested in a movie where every game but one early-season one was won in a blowout)
Basketball - On Hallowed Ground (I've heard a lot about Hoop Dreams - the movie that made AMPAS overhaul its documentary rules - but have never seen it)

I was going to mention Hoop Dreams. I saw it around the time it came out, so I barely remember it. But I thought it was really good at the time. I think Siskel and Ebert declared it the best film of the year.

It will be boring to some, for sure. It's a real documentary. It's just about these guys and their situation in life and stuff like that. It's a glimpse into someone else's reality, but it's not very Hollywood.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 13
April 27th, 2019 at 11:50:31 AM permalink
Just remembered a great basketball movie: The Pistol: The Birth of a Legend.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
April 27th, 2019 at 12:04:41 PM permalink
The Wrestler was a great movie , regardless of whether one considers wrestling to be a real sport

• Jump to: