Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
October 17th, 2010 at 1:13:55 AM permalink
I may be prejudiced because I'm a Boise State alum. Yes, I'm aware that some will say that's why I'm so full of BS sometimes.

However, isn't it about time the Broncos go to the National Championship game for a change? Sure they have a mostly weak schedule every year, but almost every time they face a powerful and ranked opponent, they beat them. But they are also the epitome of consistent winning and the undefeated season, the masters of the blowout win, and their coach is a college version of Bill Belichick. How many times does it take for them to be passed over in order to get the respect they deserve?

I'm convinced major colleges are afraid to face them, even if it's not on Smurf Field. Let's hope the country finally gets it right this year and we get to see what most college football fans really have wanted for the past 3 years: Boise State in the championship game! And with the best defense they've ever had this time around, we could even see a semi-blowout against teams like Oklahoma, Wisconsin and/or Ohio State.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
October 17th, 2010 at 5:19:59 AM permalink
The time for Boise State to play in the BCS Championship game is whenever they are one of the two best teams in the country. Hasn't happened yet, could happen this year. As much as most people hate the BCS, at least it lets teams finish their schedules before deciding who goes to which games
avargov
avargov
October 17th, 2010 at 5:40:46 AM permalink
This very well could be the year for Boise to get a shot (if they can get by my beloved Wolfpack). However, to earn the respect they are seeking, they need to be in a tougher league.

In a one game scenario, they can beat anyone. However, an SEC or BigTen schedule would chew them up physically.

Most projections have them at number 1 when the ranking is released tonight. Strength of schedule will grind them down and out of the top 2. Gotta hope Auburn, Oklahoma, and Oregon, at a minimum, lose a game for them to have any shot at all.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 17th, 2010 at 6:47:53 AM permalink
"BUT ALMOST EVERY TIME THEY FACE A POWERFUL AND RANKED OPPONENT< THEY BEAT THEM...
Someone can fact check this... But I remember reading that over the last decade or so they are just slightly above 50% against the 'major' BCS conference teams.
That being said, they seem to have earned a shot this year.... Unless a miracle happens and Missouri runs the table.. (OK- my son is a freshman at Mizzou and I am going to this Saturday's Oklahoma-Mizzou game)
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 17th, 2010 at 8:48:27 AM permalink
In order to look at this issue from its clearest aspect, I think we all need to take a lesson from what the great Secretariat did when given the opportunity. He was considered second best from the start, he didn't consistently beat the big boys during his development, but when given the chance and an opportunity to perform on the big stage, what we saw was an awesome explosion that has never been and probably will never be matched again.

It's a little early to be COMPARING Boise to the accomplishments of Big Red yes, but it's the right time to be able to RECOGNIZE GREATNESS when it's sitting right there in front of you. I think Boise State has already proven beyond a doubt how mentally and physically tough they are and have been, especially in last year's debacle of a BCS finish. Their program has proven to be a big winner and you don't get the recruits without it. Them having to be one of the two best teams in the country in order to play in the championship game is correct, only the way we go about selecting those two teams is a travesty. If the "major colleges" have to go through giving one another a loss so BS can rise to the top where it belongs, then all that is is payback for the past several years of ignorance on the part of the BCS for keeping them out of the championship matchup just because they didn't have a big enough name or following.
avargov
avargov
October 17th, 2010 at 7:46:11 PM permalink
Well, I must say I am surprised to see Oklahoma on top. However, I think Boise being 7 in the computer polls is about right.

Alas, another year shall pass without a non-BCS school playing for the crystal. With VaTech losing to JMU, OreSt losing to Wash, and my beloved Wolfpack falling to the Rainbows, I don't see any way Boise or TCU can get to the party.

I would like to see it though because I think Boise could play with anyone, save for maybe Alabama, in a one game series.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
avargov
avargov
October 17th, 2010 at 7:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

In order to look at this issue from its clearest aspect, I think we all need to take a lesson from what the great Secretariat did when given the opportunity. He was considered second best from the start, he didn't consistently beat the big boys during his development, but when given the chance and an opportunity to perform on the big stage, what we saw was an awesome explosion that has never been and probably will never be matched again.

It's a little early to be COMPARING Boise to the accomplishments of Big Red yes, but it's the right time to be able to RECOGNIZE GREATNESS when it's sitting right there in front of you. I think Boise State has already proven beyond a doubt how mentally and physically tough they are and have been, especially in last year's debacle of a BCS finish. Their program has proven to be a big winner and you don't get the recruits without it. Them having to be one of the two best teams in the country in order to play in the championship game is correct, only the way we go about selecting those two teams is a travesty. If the "major colleges" have to go through giving one another a loss so BS can rise to the top where it belongs, then all that is is payback for the past several years of ignorance on the part of the BCS for keeping them out of the championship matchup just because they didn't have a big enough name or following.

Jerry, there is no way in hell you can compare the raw talent level of Boise to a big.boy school. Boise has nice talent, and has an exceptional coach and system. I mean, c'non, their QB was recruited by 2 division 1 schools.

Put Boise in the SEC West and they are playing 3rd stringers halfway through that gauntlet. They wouldn't hold up physically against superior athletes.

That being said, in one game, they could hold their own....just not week after week. Sorry, Boise just doesn't play big boy competition yet. Let's see how next year goes in the Mountain West.
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
October 17th, 2010 at 8:09:37 PM permalink

I may be prejudiced because I'm a Boise State alum. Yes, I'm aware that some will say that's why I'm so full of BS sometimes.

However, isn't it about time the Broncos go to the National Championship game for a change? Sure they have a mostly weak schedule every year, but almost every time they face a powerful and ranked opponent, they beat them. But they are also the epitome of consistent winning and the undefeated season, the masters of the blowout win, and their coach is a college version of Bill Belichick. How many times does it take for them to be passed over in order to get the respect they deserve?

They DO get the respect they deserve. The fact is they haven't beaten anyone this year. Virginia Tech is a mediocre team in a sub-par conference. They also played a close game with Oregon State - the same Oregon State team that just lost to Washington and dropped to 3-3. They don't have any challenges on their remaining schedule.

I'm convinced major colleges are afraid to face them, even if it's not on Smurf Field. Let's hope the country finally gets it right this year and we get to see what most college football fans really have wanted for the past 3 years: Boise State in the championship game! And with the best defense they've ever had this time around, we could even see a semi-blowout against teams like Oklahoma, Wisconsin and/or Ohio State.

This is an over-used, and incorrect, argument.

From Omaha World-Herald:

Quote:

There’s been some bold talk this week out of the Boise State camp of supporters. Nobody in a big-boy conference will play Boise. You think that you can beat the Broncos? Give them a call. We dare you.

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?
Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

Geez, no wonder the Broncos can’t get anyone to play them. Pay Boise State $1 million to come to your town? Sorry, don’t want it that bad.

By comparison, Alabama & Penn State get $200,000 to play as visiting teams in their home-and-home.

Georgia Tech is getting $435,000 to play at Alabama.

Make no mistake about it, it's Boise State's choice to not play teams like Nebraska.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 17th, 2010 at 8:51:37 PM permalink
Didn't Boise State just beat a team 48-0 at Boise that Wisconsin beat 27-14 in Madison and Alabama beat 48-3 also at home....and Boise's star QB came out several minutes before the 1st half ENDED with the score already at 41-0? And you're saying BS couldn't hang with these schools for an entire season, or that they're not worth a million dollars as a visiting opponent? Have you seen the size and speed of their defensive unit? And a big part of the reason why Oregon State and VT aren't having such stellar seasons is BECAUSE of Boise State.

The only reason schools like Nebraska don't want to pay them is because they don't want to get embarrassed in front of their home fans. Go ahead and ask their big rival Oklahoma what it was like getting beaten by BS in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago when they were 4 touchdown underdogs. Then ask any of those "big boys schools" what it's like playing 14 games in a season and winning them all. Oh wait!
bluefire
bluefire
October 17th, 2010 at 9:06:41 PM permalink
lol, Oregon State & VT aren't having bad seasons because of Boise State. They're having bad years because they aren't very good football teams. Oregon State lost to Washington, VT lost to JMU. If they had just lost to Boise, they'd still be having pretty damn good years.

And no, Boise State isn't worth $1 million. No team is worth that. Again, to get a school like Alabama or Penn State, it costs $200k. Why in the world would I want to play Boise State for $1 million when I can play similar or better talent for 1/5th the cost?
avargov
avargov
October 18th, 2010 at 12:14:16 AM permalink
Oh jeez...I knew at some point the 'transitive property' was gonna come out. If Team A beats Team B, and Team B beats Team C, then Team A is better than Team C. To think that Boise is better than Alabama, or Wisconsin for that matter, is utterly ridiculous. They could beat either of them head to head in one game, at a neutral site, on any given day. What is being missed here is that week to week Boise plays glorified high school teams. If they had to deal with the vicious physical play in the SEC or the Big10 EVERY WEEK they would NOT be undefeated.

I do not understand why this is so hard to figure out. Not a single player at BSU was recruited by a major BCS conference power school. There is a reason for that. With proper.coaching, those players can be a force, and Boise is, when it is only one game. If they had this lineup, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss, Miss St, SoCar, Florida, and Georgia 8 weeks in a row, they would have to close the athletic dept.

Of.course, if they had that schedule, they could recruit blue chip players, and if they went undefeated, or had 1 loss, they could play for the crystal ball.

BTW, 2 things, OK was in a no win situation in that game, and OK didn't care. They are used to playing for a championship, and they got Boise. And BSU won with trickery.

And if Boise wants good teams to go there, build a stadium with more that 35K seats. The gate is not enough to make it worth their time. Oh yeah, they couldn't fill a 90K house, all of Idaho would have to be there.

All of this being said, I want to see Boise or TCU crash the party, I just dont know how they can with the 10 cupcakes they beat down every year.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 18th, 2010 at 5:05:04 AM permalink
Quote: bluefire

lol, Oregon State & VT aren't having bad seasons because of Boise State. They're having bad years because they aren't very good football teams. Oregon State lost to Washington, VT lost to JMU. If they had just lost to Boise, they'd still be having pretty damn good years.

And no, Boise State isn't worth $1 million. No team is worth that. Again, to get a school like Alabama or Penn State, it costs $200k. Why in the world would I want to play Boise State for $1 million when I can play similar or better talent for 1/5th the cost?

OS & VT were DEMORALIZED early on by Boise and neither could recover. It happens when embarrassed. Why do you think TCU is back in business this year after losing the biggest game of their lives to end last season? It's called "recovery time" along with fresh meat who weren't involved in the stinging loss.

Who's the biggest name in college football these days....YES, Boise State! Alabama, Penn St., Nebraska....same 'ol same 'ol. Pay them what they're worth.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 18th, 2010 at 8:18:42 AM permalink
From Yahoo! Sports:

Team G Pts/G Yds/G PassYds RushYds
Oregon 6 54.3 567.0 1495 1907
Oklahoma St. 6 49.5 535.3 2166 1046
Boise St. 6 47.5 523.8 1806 1337

Looks to me like Boise State (ranked 3rd) is right where it belongs.

As an example, suppose Oregon played Boise State. Boise has a better defense by 4 PPG, Oregon has a better offense by almost 7 PPG. To me, that means Oregon would be favored by 3 points. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm certainly no sports handicapper...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
avargov
avargov
October 18th, 2010 at 8:46:38 AM permalink

OS & VT were DEMORALIZED early on by Boise and neither could recover. It happens when embarrassed. Why do you think TCU is back in business this year after losing the biggest game of their lives to end last season? It's called "recovery time" along with fresh meat who weren't involved in the stinging loss.

Who's the biggest name in college football these days....YES, Boise State! Alabama, Penn St., Nebraska....same 'ol same 'ol. Pay them what they're worth.

You are right, Boise is the biggest name, right now. But they aren't worth 1M to any big team. Those teams sell out there 100K seat stadiums when South Dakota A&T come to town. See Jerry, your team has to be good for a long, long time to pull even 1/5th of that kind of payday.

This all will work itself out in the next 6 weeks, and we will see. You should tell your AD to leave off Toledo and Wyoming next year, that would help.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 18th, 2010 at 9:42:21 AM permalink
Let's see... do I want to argue with Jerry Logan today, or don't I?

Do I?

Don't I?

Do I?

Don't I?

..... nah. Not today. Some other time.
A falling knife has no handle.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 18th, 2010 at 10:17:31 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Let's see... do I want to argue with Jerry Logan today, or don't I?

Do I?

Don't I?

Do I?

Don't I?

..... nah. Not today. Some other time.

How about thanking your lucky stars that the know-it-all mkl654321 isn't here this morning with any of his long-winded rambles that he makes up on the go?
Maybe he's getting his colonoscopy today??

Maybe not?

Maybe?

Maybe not?

Maybe?

....yeah. He is!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 18th, 2010 at 10:37:49 AM permalink
I was going to say I agree, Boise State may well get the Championship game they deserve this year.

I hope this agreement with JL clears up with in the day.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
bluefire
bluefire
October 18th, 2010 at 11:08:31 AM permalink

Hahaha. Right.
Mosca
Mosca
October 18th, 2010 at 11:40:22 AM permalink

How about thanking your lucky stars that the know-it-all mkl654321 isn't here this morning with any of his long-winded rambles that he makes up on the go?
Maybe he's getting his colonoscopy today??

Maybe not?

Maybe?

Maybe not?

Maybe?

....yeah. He is!

LOL, I don't mind arguing with you, but I have to be in the right frame of mind. I know you enjoy it, I have to feel like enjoying it too.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 18th, 2010 at 12:49:40 PM permalink
I'm a pretty simple guy, and most can tell when I'm ready to argue or not. But what I can't put my finger on is how in the world so many of you get into those ridiculous discussions with mkl654321, who obviously only comes here out of boredom which is easily revealed by the fact that he portrays himself to be an expert about EVERYTHING.

I still say he's getting a colonoscopy today, either that, or someone at his home brought up the subject of yellowing teeth, and he's STILL yakking about it with them.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 18th, 2010 at 1:09:12 PM permalink
You know that JerryLogan, he can't say anything without getting a dig in one someone. Must ease his troubled mind.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
98steps
98steps
  • Threads: 4
October 21st, 2010 at 3:38:28 PM permalink
All right Boys and Girls, let's bring this thread back to Boise....Boise State Alumni here, so the last several years have been great fun. Now for some Boise State facts:

FACT: Over the last ten years no team in the country has more wins than the Boise State Broncos.
FACT: Boise State has the Longest active winning streak in the country. Including wins over TCU, Oregon, and Va Tech within that streak.
FACT: They have accomplished all of this with 2 and 3 star recruits that were overlooked by the good ole boy network of the BCS.

Boise has proven they are competitors, they have earned the right to compete. No team in the country can make an honest claim to being able to beat Boise.
avargov
avargov
October 21st, 2010 at 5:59:06 PM permalink
Fact: Boise is 8-9 over the last 10 seasons versus BCS teams

Fact: Boise is 2-4 in their last 6 bowl games

Fact: TCU can say that, 1-1 in the last 2 meetings

Yes, BSU does have a right to compete, but needs a stronger league to have serious consideration for the championship game.
BigTip
BigTip
  • Threads: 3
October 21st, 2010 at 7:14:29 PM permalink
I hope Boise does get to the title game.

They'll be playing OU again. This time it will be for something that matters. OU will win by three touchdowns and redeem themselves for the Fiesta Bowl fiasco. It was all Oklahoma's fault for giving any credence to this ridiculous"Boise deserves" argument that has gone on since that game.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 21st, 2010 at 8:45:59 PM permalink
Quote: BigTip

I hope Boise does get to the title game.

They'll be playing OU again. This time it will be for something that matters. OU will win by three touchdowns and redeem themselves for the Fiesta Bowl fiasco. It was all Oklahoma's fault for giving any credence to this ridiculous"Boise deserves" argument that has gone on since that game.

Boise showed OU and the rest of the "big guys" that they don't ever give up no matter how big the mouths are on the other side. And a post like yours reeks of sour grapes and smells so sweet in Boise. This year they've got the defense to go along with that powerful offense. Yes, they'll be national champs by season's end.
avargov
avargov
October 21st, 2010 at 9:02:13 PM permalink
Tap the brakes a little there Logan. Boise ain't getting to the championship without a LOT of help by the 'big boys'.

I mean, c'mon dude, you are ranked third without a single quality opponent on your remaining schedule.

Boise is a nice little team, on a nice little run. But be careful what you ask for. If you get there, and they get their asses handed to them (and they will in a championship game), non-bcs teams will NEVER get another chance.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 22nd, 2010 at 3:39:50 AM permalink
A schedule is a schedule. They're in a crummy conference, we get that. But they passed their tests this year with flying colors, and before the season critics were saying those would be telling games. Now that they've shown another undefeated format again the naysayers are back out. We want Oregon right now to shut them up.
  • Threads: 22
October 22nd, 2010 at 4:02:52 AM permalink
As a Oklahoma sooner fan. I've lived in the sooner state all my life. And would love to see Boise State and the Sooners in the BCS champinship bowl
game. When Boise State name beat OU a few years back in the bowl game. That win gave Biose State a name. And alot of sooner fans like to have
some pay back...
Success comes before work, only in the dictionary.
avargov
avargov
October 22nd, 2010 at 4:14:27 AM permalink

A schedule is a schedule. They're in a crummy conference, we get that. But they passed their tests this year with flying colors, and before the season critics were saying those would be telling games. Now that they've shown another undefeated format again the naysayers are back out. We want Oregon right now to shut them up.

A schedule is NOT a schedule. Your 'tests' were nothing...2 games against lower end BCS schools. Don't need to rehash VT and OSU performance this year. Other than that, not a single quality opponent.

Not a naysayer here, but I don't wear blue tinted glasses. I look at it objectively. Boise is not as good as top notch programs. In fact, I would say that they get jumped this week by the LSU/AUB winner. Down to at least no. 4 then.
Mosca
Mosca
October 22nd, 2010 at 7:01:19 AM permalink
I would say that Oregon made a somewhat convincing statement for the #1 position last night. Not that UCLA is awesome, but 60-13 over a real opponent with a first class program gets my attention.
avargov
avargov
November 26th, 2010 at 11:18:01 PM permalink
HAHAHA!!! Glad.to see that another year go by an the 'mighty' broncos fall to a better team. At least the nonsense championship talk can stop now..and, oh yeah, so can any BCS bowl.

It's a shame we wont get to see the asswhippin by a really good team tho....maybe I should become a handicapper...or at least an analyst...
  • Jump to: