Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 10295
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:28:17 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

So I'm Joe Six pack and I take the afternoon off to register a car. After two hours of standing on line, Dr Kildare strolls in and jumps ahead of me to register his back up weekend car.



I'm not just giving something to the line jumper, it's actually earned. The government gives more to those who have paid more. That's the whole point.

I'm simply trying find a non-paying compensation for taxpayers who feel they are ripped off paying progressive tax rates vs, those who don't. What's wrong with that.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 10295
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:31:33 PM permalink
Billyran do you hate it when high rollers get in the short lines at the casino. Is it a blatant offense to offer them more for spending more?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:37:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

So I'm Joe Six pack and I take the afternoon off to register a car. After two hours of standing on line, Dr Kildare strolls in and jumps ahead of me to register his back up weekend car.



I've never heard of people cutting in line at the DMV simply because they're richer... what are you talking about? Does that ever happen?
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3360
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:38:32 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Man, I hope that's either sarcasm or reductio ad absurdum . Lol...

Voters should be allowed to sell their votes, just as politicians do to lobbyists.
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 5513
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:41:33 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

That ship has sailed. I doubt there will be any appreciable backlash.

America has become the land of the corporate and the land of the corrupt. When a pharma can use its monopoly to charge 10000% margins due to a monopoly and pay off doctors to prescribe it one exchange for life you know things are messed up. When a government can stop accepting asylum applications indiscrimately or slow the handling of work and family visas to a halt you know things are messed up. When a government can fail to pass gun legislation that the great majority of Americans support you know lobbyists are messing up the relationship between representative and constituent. When an executive branch states things that its own intel community disputes (denuclearization) in order to put false hope in people you know things are not right. And when your GOP base runs out a tax cut package that is running then government at a 830 billion deficit this year and 900+ billion next year you know there is a problem.

As for the lack of compassion for others, America has turned inwards. People have become convinced that most immigrants pose a threat to the security and culture of this country. People have become convinced somehow that trickle down economics works and that corporations will go back to hiring American when Trump himself uses cheap foreign labor and materialsl. People have become convinced that tariffs and protectionism will help American labor. People have become convinced that North Korea, China and Russia are allies while Canada, Great Britain and German are ripping off Americans. Most importantly, people can not discern fact from fiction and are too lazy to do basic research and simply believe what they want to believe and trust sources (no matter how dubious they are) that supports what they think. America is in deep deep trouble and I doubt the damage it is doing to itself will be undone, which is fine because one can shape their own reality and live in delusion, just like the Germans in the 1930s and the North Koreans and Saudis today. The only difference is that Americans have a choice, and the choice people have seemed to make is long term psychosis. After all, it feels better, and thats all that counts.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.

Hit a lot of nails on the head, in my opinion... and of course there's so much more even, but you summed it up nicely in the CHOICE so many make to just be psychotic instead of seeking out rational facts. This is why America is a joke of a country and is definitely not a world leader.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 10295
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:44:54 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I've never heard of people cutting in line at the DMV simply because they're richer... what are you talking about? Does that ever happen?




He's referring to a suggestion I made earlier on.

Which I started wondering about, because I don't believe with the income inequity which already exists and just gets worse as time goes on, that a flat tax is just unworkable and unrealistic. So what else can you do to alleviate the complaints about the current system?
And that's where I was going with this idea
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

He's referring to a suggestion I made earlier on.

Which I started wondering about, because I don't believe with the income inequity which already exists and just gets worse as time goes on, that a flat tax is just unworkable and unrealistic. So what else can you do to alleviate the complaints about the current system?
And that's where I was going with this idea



Oh, okay.

With respect to financial inequality and taxation and the welfare system, I think a HUGE part of the problem that people are glossing over or ignoring is how financially illiterate the average person is. When I was barely out of college I was almost ready to declare bankruptcy because I had no idea how to save money or invest or live within my means or anything. I learned in like 5th grade how to balance a checkbook but that's about it as far as financial education goes.

I mean, a CEO making $50 million a year and a worker at his company working for minimum wage 60 hours a week is arguably a problem, but let's not ignore the fact that half the time that minimum wage worker is being an idiot with his money because he doesn't know any better and never learned financial responsibility.
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5800
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:04:27 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

That ship has sailed. I doubt there will be any appreciable backlash.

America has become the land of the corporate and the land of the corrupt. When a pharma can use its monopoly to charge 10000% margins due to a monopoly and pay off doctors to prescribe it one exchange for life you know things are messed up. When a government can stop accepting asylum applications indiscrimately or slow the handling of work and family visas to a halt you know things are messed up. When a government can fail to pass gun legislation that the great majority of Americans support you know lobbyists are messing up the relationship between representative and constituent. When an executive branch states things that its own intel community disputes (denuclearization) in order to put false hope in people you know things are not right. And when your GOP base runs out a tax cut package that is running then government at a 830 billion deficit this year and 900+ billion next year you know there is a problem.

As for the lack of compassion for others, America has turned inwards. People have become convinced that most immigrants pose a threat to the security and culture of this country. People have become convinced somehow that trickle down economics works and that corporations will go back to hiring American when Trump himself uses cheap foreign labor and materialsl. People have become convinced that tariffs and protectionism will help American labor. People have become convinced that North Korea, China and Russia are allies while Canada, Great Britain and German are ripping off Americans. Most importantly, people can not discern fact from fiction and are too lazy to do basic research and simply believe what they want to believe and trust sources (no matter how dubious they are) that supports what they think. America is in deep deep trouble and I doubt the damage it is doing to itself will be undone, which is fine because one can shape their own reality and live in delusion, just like the Germans in the 1930s and the North Koreans and Saudis today. The only difference is that Americans have a choice, and the choice people have seemed to make is long term psychosis. After all, it feels better, and thats all that counts.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.


Just popped in here to read and not post
But
The above really nails it
Thank you
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:11:45 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Congrats. I should have calculated my example for that before I posted.

However the point remains. Even most taxpayers haven't actually paid their fair share over the years, not just the impoverished. But people generally aren't looking in the mirror when they are blaming someone for it. Just blaming the poor.


I dont know what the average (mean) tax bill is, but Im pretty sure Im paying above that. At least when I plug in the amounts on what percentile income I fall under and such. Based on Bozs posts, Id bet he pays well above the mean average tax bill amount.

The other side of the coin is that most people pay below the mean average, both in real life and the example given. How does our society work? We vote. Who wins the election? The guy with the most votes. Is he more likely to win by being practical and running on a good platform? Or is he more likely to get the votes by pandering to the masses whore making less than the mean average and saying theyll raise taxes on those who are making more than them?

With the example above, if someone were to run for president of those people, which platform would get more votes everyone pays $17.85? Or the tax rate you proposed? Or the top 2 pay $600 each (and now the tax income is $1200 total and not $1000 total)?
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:28:05 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

That ship has sailed. I doubt there will be any appreciable backlash.

America has become the land of the corporate and the land of the corrupt. When a pharma can use its monopoly to charge 10000% margins due to a monopoly and pay off doctors to prescribe it one exchange for life you know things are messed up. When a government can stop accepting asylum applications indiscrimately or slow the handling of work and family visas to a halt you know things are messed up. When a government can fail to pass gun legislation that the great majority of Americans support you know lobbyists are messing up the relationship between representative and constituent. When an executive branch states things that its own intel community disputes (denuclearization) in order to put false hope in people you know things are not right. And when your GOP base runs out a tax cut package that is running then government at a 830 billion deficit this year and 900+ billion next year you know there is a problem.

As for the lack of compassion for others, America has turned inwards. People have become convinced that most immigrants pose a threat to the security and culture of this country. People have become convinced somehow that trickle down economics works and that corporations will go back to hiring American when Trump himself uses cheap foreign labor and materialsl. People have become convinced that tariffs and protectionism will help American labor. People have become convinced that North Korea, China and Russia are allies while Canada, Great Britain and German are ripping off Americans. Most importantly, people can not discern fact from fiction and are too lazy to do basic research and simply believe what they want to believe and trust sources (no matter how dubious they are) that supports what they think. America is in deep deep trouble and I doubt the damage it is doing to itself will be undone, which is fine because one can shape their own reality and live in delusion, just like the Germans in the 1930s and the North Koreans and Saudis today. The only difference is that Americans have a choice, and the choice people have seemed to make is long term psychosis. After all, it feels better, and thats all that counts.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.



Outstanding analysis.

However, this midterm is not going to be about the men. It's going to be about the women. I think folks are in for a surprise. I could be wrong. But women have not been energized, let alone pissed, like this since the early 70s, and I think they're angrier now than then. Not even close to that since then.

The work is going on behind the scenes for the most part, but it's getting organized, and fractures and factions are being healed out of necessity and a new awareness. And a lot of Moderate Republicans and never-Trumpers are leaving the party or telling people to vote Democrat.

I have no way of knowing if the statistic i saw last week is correct, and i don't think they have recent enough stats on it to publish, but the Republican party membership is reportedly down about 27% over the last decade, including the Trump years.

So we'll see, I guess. I doubt this will hang together when it comes to 2020 unless someone really strong steps up, but locked and loaded for a shellacking in 2018.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

  • Jump to: