Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:37:33 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

+ $10 Alexander Hamilton

I almost put that but I guess there's some dispute as to whether or not Hamilton actually ever owned slaves.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:41:54 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

but the underlying point is people who make a ton of money get taxed at a much higher rate than people on poverty.

What most people fail to see here, is they jump to poor to notice who is not paying their fair share.

For instance if people are all paying for some non-specific but same service.

If 2 people pay out $100

8 people pay out $50

16 people pay $25

30 people pay out nothing.

The answer isn't just the 30 at the bottom who aren't paying a fair share. Two groups above them also aren't paying the same rate as the top, so either the top should pay less or get a refund, or the other groups need to pay.

Just to focus on the bottom is utter hypocrisy

Hey Boz have you paid your fair share?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
Thanks for this post from:
Romesterapined
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:54:27 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Where the hell did MY America go? The neighborly, compassionate, we work together to make a better life for all of us?

You (generic you, not rxwine) can dis the Dems all you want. I think you're SERIOUSLY underestimating the backlash that's coming. And the Dems are the non-Trump right now. So they're going to be the undeserving beneficiaries.

That ship has sailed. I doubt there will be any appreciable backlash.

America has become the land of the corporate and the land of the corrupt. When a pharma can use its monopoly to charge 10000% margins due to a monopoly and pay off doctors to prescribe it one exchange for life you know things are messed up. When a government can stop accepting asylum applications indiscrimately or slow the handling of work and family visas to a halt you know things are messed up. When a government can fail to pass gun legislation that the great majority of Americans support you know lobbyists are messing up the relationship between representative and constituent. When an executive branch states things that its own intel community disputes (denuclearization) in order to put false hope in people you know things are not right. And when your GOP base runs out a tax cut package that is running then government at a 830 billion deficit this year and 900+ billion next year you know there is a problem.

As for the lack of compassion for others, America has turned inwards. People have become convinced that most immigrants pose a threat to the security and culture of this country. People have become convinced somehow that trickle down economics works and that corporations will go back to hiring American when Trump himself uses cheap foreign labor and materialsl. People have become convinced that tariffs and protectionism will help American labor. People have become convinced that North Korea, China and Russia are allies while Canada, Great Britain and German are ripping off Americans. Most importantly, people can not discern fact from fiction and are too lazy to do basic research and simply believe what they want to believe and trust sources (no matter how dubious they are) that supports what they think. America is in deep deep trouble and I doubt the damage it is doing to itself will be undone, which is fine because one can shape their own reality and live in delusion, just like the Germans in the 1930s and the North Koreans and Saudis today. The only difference is that Americans have a choice, and the choice people have seemed to make is long term psychosis. After all, it feels better, and thats all that counts.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:02:37 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

That ship has sailed. I doubt there will be any appreciable backlash.

America has become the land of the corporate and the land of the corrupt. When a pharma can use its monopoly to charge 10000% margins due to a monopoly and pay off doctors to prescribe it one exchange for life you know things are messed up. When a government can stop accepting asylum applications indiscrimately or slow the handling of work and family visas to a halt you know things are messed up. When a government can fail to pass gun legislation that the great majority of Americans support you know lobbyists are messing up the relationship between representative and constituent. When an executive branch states things that its own intel community disputes (denuclearization) in order to put false hope in people you know things are not right. And when your GOP base runs out a tax cut package that is running then government at a 830 billion deficit this year and 900+ billion next year you know there is a problem.

As for the lack of compassion for others, America has turned inwards. People have become convinced that most immigrants pose a threat to the security and culture of this country. People have become convinced somehow that trickle down economics works and that corporations will go back to hiring American when Trump himself uses cheap foreign labor and materialsl. People have become convinced that tariffs and protectionism will help American labor. People have become convinced that North Korea, China and Russia are allies while Canada, Great Britain and German are ripping off Americans. Most importantly, people can not discern fact from fiction and are too lazy to do basic research and simply believe what they want to believe and trust sources (no matter how dubious they are) that supports what they think. America is in deep deep trouble and I doubt the damage it is doing to itself will be undone, which is fine because one can shape their own reality and live in delusion, just like the Germans in the 1930s and the North Koreans and Saudis today. The only difference is that Americans have a choice, and the choice people have seemed to make is long term psychosis. After all, it feels better, and thats all that counts.

Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.

When every person claims asylum...you know the rest
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:25:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

His usual go to, zeroinflation is a Putin mouthpiece so this was a actually an improvement.

#yellowcake
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:40:55 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What most people fail to see here, is they jump to poor to notice who is not paying their fair share.

For instance if people are all paying for some non-specific but same service.

If 2 people pay out $100

8 people pay out $50

16 people pay $25

30 people pay out nothing.

The answer isn't just the 30 at the bottom who aren't paying a fair share. Two groups above them also aren't paying the same rate as the top, so either the top should pay less or get a refund, or the other groups need to pay.

Just to focus on the bottom is utter hypocrisy.

Hey Boz have you paid your fair share?

A fair share is $17.85. So in your example, itís only the bottom group (30 paying $0) who arenít paying a fair share. But I agree with you, those at the top should pay less and those at the bottom should pay more, so everyone pays $17.85.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:08:19 PM permalink
Quote: RS

A fair share is $17.85. So in your example, itís only the bottom group (30 paying $0) who arenít paying a fair share. But I agree with you, those at the top should pay less and those at the bottom should pay more, so everyone pays $17.85.

Congrats. I should have calculated my example for that before I posted.

However the point remains. Even most taxpayers haven't actually paid their fair share over the years, not just the impoverished. But people generally aren't looking in the mirror when they are blaming someone for it. Just blaming the poor.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:19:47 PM permalink
So I'm Joe Six pack and I take the afternoon off to register a car. After two hours of standing on line, Dr Kildare strolls in and jumps ahead of me to register his back up weekend car.
This is supposed to promote unity?
How about for every thousand in taxes paid, you get an extra vote that you can bank for future use.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:23:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

So I'm Joe Six pack and I take the afternoon off to register a car. After two hours of standing on line, Dr Kildare strolls in and jumps ahead of me to register his back up weekend car.
This is supposed to promote unity?
How about for every thousand in taxes paid, you get an extra vote that you can bank for future use.

Man, I hope that's either sarcasm or reductio ad absurdum . Lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:26:27 PM permalink
I have pointed out before that the federal budget divided up equally among the population is more than many of the poor make, and would be a crushingly high percentage of income for many others.

It is about $12,000 per person, including non-wage earners such as children.

It is even higher when divided up against wage earners.

That would just be federal tax, not state or local, property tax, sales tax, etc.

The average family size is about 2.5 people, so the average federal tax owed per family would be $30,000.

• Jump to: