rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 17
September 3rd, 2017 at 12:35:11 AM permalink
The school can enforce a student ID policy I don't see a problem, however your sister had a constitutional right to refuse to present her government issued ID the cop knew this that's why he threatened, bullied her.
She or anyone else is only required to present ID if the officer suspects she/he has committed a crime or
suspects she is about to commit a crime he must be able to articulate this (reasonable articulable suspicion).

Your sister and friends should have stood their ground on the gov ID.
The internet is a great place she can watch youtube ID refusal videos
and be enlightened when she is or is not required to show ID, one
can also learn how to defend one's self against the threats and bullying tactics.

I went down this path it is empowering, I do not fear police encounters I am
not intimidated now that I'm fully aware of my rights and their limitations.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 8
September 3rd, 2017 at 9:05:03 AM permalink
Amazing that police, so-called educators, and elected officials are wrong on every single level, while the teenagers are the ones who are absolutely correct

-A major reason to have school police is to help build positive relationships between police and teenagers. This is having the exact opposite effect. When asked to show ID and the 10th grade rebel who thinks they're smarter than they really are says "I remain silent, I want my lawyer," are the school police really going to put them in handcuffs?

-In Las Vegas, 19 out of 20 high school principals understand that they have a number of homeless and displaced students and charging $10 every time a teenager forgets or loses their ID would cause a hardship on those families. Also, in Nevada, although schools can issue charges to students to replace school property, there is no legal way to enforce it. Many will say that they can withhold a diploma or transcripts, but actually doing so is illegal.

-The IDs do nothing to stop school shooting. A lot of school shootings are committed by students who would have their IDs. If an ID can be replaced anytime someone forgets theirs at home, there will be a lot in circulation, making it very easy for a non-student to get one. And if the purpose of the rule is to identify outsiders who bring weapons onto campus, all the rule does is lead to confrontations and escalate those situations.

-If there is even a hint that minority students are being asked to show ID more than white students, the school board loses in court in a matter of seconds, possibly even having to pay a lot of money.

-Hand out snacks (only cost 10- to 20-cents in bulk) or raffle tickets randomly to students who are showing their ID, and then most of them will want to have their ID showing at all times, or gladly present it when asked.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
September 3rd, 2017 at 9:48:08 AM permalink
Times have changed.

If I pulled something like this when I was in high school, my Dad would have me splitting, stacking (and restacking) wood for the entirety of my [justified] 3 day suspension.

• Jump to: