Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 29th, 2016 at 3:50:30 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I see gene wilder is not his real name. I wonder how many people use a stage name, and why?

You need something catchy, like naming a new game. For the public, of course. Actors often get told, "Lose the name 'Sheldon Mermelschtein' etc."
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
August 29th, 2016 at 3:55:13 PM permalink
Thank you for laughs Gene. Especially from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. RIP.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 29th, 2016 at 4:01:19 PM permalink
He and Richard Pryor were great together. See No Evil, Hear No Evil is an underrated classic. They played the premise perfectly.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 29th, 2016 at 4:07:47 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

You need something catchy, like naming a new game. For the public, of course. Actors often get told, "Lose the name 'Sheldon Mermelschtein' etc."

Wow look at the people on this list. I never knew.

http://m.ranker.com/list/celebrities-with-stage-names/celebrity-lists
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
August 29th, 2016 at 5:02:42 PM permalink
There are some interesting stories behind the stage names selected.

Michael Caine, in 1955, needed to come up with a name to replace his birth name of Maurice Joseph Micklewhite while in his agent's London office; he took his new name from a recent and popular Bogart Movie The Caine Mutiny.

David Bowie changed his name so as not to be confused with Davy Jones (no "e"), - of the Monkees.

etc.

In any case, I choose to believe we all loved Gene Wilder's work (I did), with or without Mel Brooks.

And Mike - may there be no Death pool betting at this site.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
August 29th, 2016 at 5:21:35 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

And Mike - may there be no Death pool betting at this site.

I'm an actuary, we love to bet on when people will die.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
SAMIAM
SAMIAM
  • Threads: 0
August 29th, 2016 at 5:28:20 PM permalink
NOT FUNNY Mike I wake up every morning afraid I will read my name in the obituaries in the morning paper.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
August 29th, 2016 at 5:29:36 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know, Mike, that was my concern.

Bad JoJo on doing that, as an office pool/forum blood pool bet.

It's not creepy for valid management/business/actuarial needs, but it would definitely need a confessor if done as a betting blood sport.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 29th, 2016 at 5:42:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Hard to beat the original...... Stiffs.com.

Great game goes on there every year. But beware, the guys there are sharks. They do the research. Look at this years leaders picks. Who knew Herman Wouk was still alive at 101? How about people you may have forgotten about who announced they had cancer 3 years ago?

Judgement aside, some here might want to look at entering this December after doing the research.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 101
August 29th, 2016 at 7:29:09 PM permalink
Question of the day: what does Gene Wilder in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother have in common with someone with a "successful" roulette system?

"Sheer Luck!"

• Jump to: