beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 18th, 2016 at 10:28:54 PM permalink
Quote: sammydv

I consider that a personal attack.
Are you capable of responding to a member without adding your personal quips?

You might consider it one, but I don't believe it qualifies as a personal insult as we administer it here.

Same with your quote of what WoN said. Not a personal insult to find something funny.

Your response to 2F, IMO and FWIW, is the closest anyone in this thread has come to a personal attack. I'm just sayin...be careful when throwing stones.

Beachbanhammer...I'm not happy til you're not happy. (Joke suggesting we all lighten up. )
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
July 18th, 2016 at 11:23:20 PM permalink

It is truly meaningless. I can say I ate 95% of the pie. But I may have had only one piece and didn't finish it. I didn't say I had 95% of the whole pie.
It may be a true statement that McDonalds has 100% beef hamburgers. The never say what percent of the patty is meat or filler. So the 13% of the quarter pounder may be real 100% beef but the other 67% is chicken feet.
It's all in what's not being said.

Huge amount paid out of some slot machine. Where, corner of the bar? Last one on the left of the VP room?

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics ... but you also need to understand what percentages actually mean.

For example, it cannot be simultaneously true that a McDonalds hamburger is 100% beef and also 13% beef, 67% chicken feet, and 20% dark matter. Those are not equivalent no matter how you say it (or don't say it).

In the case of slot machines, the added wrinkle is variance. A video poker game may have a theoretical payback of 99.54% but the only payouts actually available on the machine are 0%, 100%, 200%, 300%, 80,000%, etc. The 99.54% figure is the theoretical average.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
July 19th, 2016 at 6:51:11 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics ...

:)

You serious, Clark?
sammydv
sammydv
  • Threads: 9
July 19th, 2016 at 7:41:22 PM permalink

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics ... but you also need to understand what percentages actually mean.

For example, it cannot be simultaneously true that a McDonalds hamburger is 100% beef and also 13% beef, 67% chicken feet, and 20% dark matter. Those are not equivalent no matter how you say it (or don't say it).

In the case of slot machines, the added wrinkle is variance. A video poker game may have a theoretical payback of 99.54% but the only payouts actually available on the machine are 0%, 100%, 200%, 300%, 80,000%, etc. The 99.54% figure is the theoretical average.

Sure it is. 30% of my hamburger patty is 100% beef. That makes more sense correct? The other 70% of the patty is mulch. Our hamburgers are 100% beef is not an absolute statement. Then why doesn't it state anywhere "100% of our hamburg patty's are 100% beef"... because they aren't. It's advertising baloney and tricky semantics that the advertising industry will never never change from doing. And the important word is theoretical which is the only thing the betting world can go on. You don't have a choice.
Thanks for the response.
sammydv
sammydv
July 19th, 2016 at 7:49:51 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

You might consider it one, but I don't believe it qualifies as a personal insult as we administer it here.

Same with your quote of what WoN said. Not a personal insult to find something funny.

Your response to 2F, IMO and FWIW, is the closest anyone in this thread has come to a personal attack. I'm just sayin...be careful when throwing stones.

Beachbanhammer...I'm not happy til you're not happy. (Joke suggesting we all lighten up. )

Agree with you there, that was definitely a strong retort by me. But somehow, it's odd that the fact that all the comments that caused me to even respond in defense seem to have no meaning. If there were no attacks, why would one make such a comment? I wouldn't have, simple as that.

"Beachbanhammer...I'm not happy til you're not happy."
Not my idea of a joke or humor. Thanks anyways.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 19th, 2016 at 7:54:43 PM permalink

30% of my hamburger patty is 100% beef. That makes more sense correct? The other 70% of the patty is mulch.

No, you'd say "my hamburger is 30% beef and 70% mulch." If you say "my hamburger is 100% beef" then that means there's no mulch in it, or (at least in the US) you're in big trouble.

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/allbeef.asp
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
sammydv
sammydv
July 19th, 2016 at 7:55:25 PM permalink
"Same with your quote of what WoN said. Not a personal insult to find something funny."

Addendum: And I digress, someone laughing at another party's snarky or personal attack at a 3rd party is not proper by any normal decorum.

edited for grammar mistake of -+ thingie.
Last edited by: sammydv on Jul 19, 2016
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 19th, 2016 at 7:59:58 PM permalink

"Same with your quote of what WoN said. Not a personal insult to find something funny."

Addendum: And I digress, -+someone laughing at another party's snarky or personal attack at a 3rd party is not proper by any normal decorum.

That's not always true. For example, this was hilarious:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/all-other/25807-2016-election-part-ii/113/#post542618
sammydv
sammydv
July 19th, 2016 at 8:19:05 PM permalink

No, you'd say "my hamburger is 30% beef and 70% mulch." If you say "my hamburger is 100% beef" then that means there's no mulch in it, or (at least in the US) you're in big trouble.

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/allbeef.asp

Do you really think McDonalds would admit to the percentage of mulch in their burgers? lol
"Every one of our burgers is made with 100% ground beef. Nothing else is added. No fillers, extenders or preservatives." Absolutely true statement that whatever percentage of beef is 'put into our patties" is 100% and there are no fillers, extenders or preservatives to that percentage of 100% beef. I can find no breakdown of any McD burger into it's components. And I doubt one would. The total mass of any Mcd burger being 100% one meat just isn't feasibly economical. But that's of course just my opinion. And I'm stressing the word games and the open ended way people's perceptions would see it.

Are we far enough off topic now?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
July 19th, 2016 at 8:19:44 PM permalink

Addendum: And I digress, -+someone laughing at another party's snarky or personal attack at a 3rd party is not proper by any normal decorum.

Decorum? Is that the little strings of lights I put out on the porch to celebrate the Christmas season? BTW, I left them up this year so I don't have to put them back up in 10 months ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F

• Jump to: