5 votes (10.2%)
11 votes (22.44%)

49 members have voted

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 26th, 2018 at 3:33:33 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I noticed a place called Ponderosa, you can golf all day on Monday for $35. I haven't golfed in so long, $35 seems like a high price with a cart.

My $100 is a little high after thinking about it.

There are some decent courses in the area for 30-50 with a cart, but the nicer courses are 60 or more. I always budget for at least 3 lost balls so that is probably about $5, then of course you need that hot dog, beer, and probably a gatorade at the turn. Cheap courses will probably run about $50 with everything.

I just looked at North Park which is a decent course. It is only $20 per round if you walk. BUUUTTT, no way my fat ass is walking 18 holes. Yes I know that is exercise bla bla bla, but a cart is $19.50 for 2 people. So I guess if I play with someone and split the cart it will be $30 a round. Maybe I should look into playing. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was much more. I think that is because I used to play some country clubs and nice courses.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
June 26th, 2018 at 5:06:58 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I wish I could afford to play. I love playing golf but can't justify blowing $100 on a morning of golf.

Move to Buffalo. Even on weekends it is just around $50 on the nice courses and that includes the cart. Last year I played a bunch of rounds and if you started before 7am it was $25 on weekdays. Felt like free to me....
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 27th, 2018 at 9:05:51 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Move to Buffalo. Even on weekends it is just around $50 on the nice courses and that includes the cart. Last year I played a bunch of rounds and if you started before 7am it was $25 on weekdays. Felt like free to me....

I have a couple of apps to two municipal courses that are really nice.
last year they were sending out alerts every Friday $35 for 18 with cart
and hot dog and drink so I played every Sunday for 3 months.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 173
June 27th, 2018 at 10:20:54 AM permalink
18 rounds is too much. Nine isn't enough. Twelve holes strikes me as the perfect game. Two or three holes to warm up and an hour or so of good golf.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
June 27th, 2018 at 3:59:42 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

it went better than expected. I made it through 16 holes before having to give up for a sore back. I feel fine now and will try again next week if the group has an opening. I scored terribly, but that was expected.

Thanks for reporting back. Good to hear you had fun.

Quote: billryan

18 rounds is too much. Nine isn't enough. Twelve holes strikes me as the perfect game. Two or three holes to warm up and an hour or so of good golf.

18 rounds is way to much for one day! :) :) :)

Question for the group.:
Do you lose more or less golf balls while playing in Las Vegas. One would think with fewer trees and water hazards you would not lose as many. Golf balls tend to be expensive.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
June 27th, 2018 at 4:03:39 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Thanks for reporting back. Good to hear you had fun.

18 rounds is way to much for one day! :) :) :)

Question for the group.:
Do you lose more or less golf balls while playing in Las Vegas. One would think with fewer trees and water hazards you would not lose as many. Golf balls tend to be expensive.

The Vegas courses I've played are 'low' on the lost ball tally. I am an EXPERT at finding balls. I would say on an average round i find 10 more than I lose. I have perhaps 1000 golf balls in a garbage can in my basement, with hundreds more in bags. I keep meaning to donate them to a local youth golf thingie.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 27th, 2018 at 4:12:43 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

$20 for 18 and a cart down south (Holland or Concord) AND you can BYO cooler AND wear cutoff tshirts without disproving glares. There's no better place in WNY to shoot a 120 =)

I reckon I could give you a run in ball hunting, but ever since I switched to SpongeBob balls, I'm not in the woods as long. The yellow really stands out.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
June 27th, 2018 at 5:10:31 PM permalink
I started playing regularly about 5 years ago. Thinking I needed something to occupy my time in retirement, golf is MUCH cheaper than gambling.

After 2 years of GolfTec lessons, my GHIN handicap is down to 16.

I'm also a regular at The Fremont Spring and Fall Golf Tournament. 4 nights, 2 rounds of golf, 2 meals a day plus food coupons, monetary prizes for the top 3 teams in a scramble format and parimutuel betting on the teams. All included for $645. It's a lot of fun and i'm one of the youngsters who participates at 58. A nice mix of Mainlanders and Hawaiians.

Yesterday i played 18, after work, at the local Native American joint(Sandia)here in ABQ. A beautiful desert course since they have access to plenty of water. Despite the 100 degree heat and little wind, I shot a 91 from the white tees. No lost balls. And the course was set up for the annual Sun Country PGA tournament(VERY tough pin placements I'd never seen before). I payed a twilight rate of $39 which included a cart. We finished up around 1930.

I's be interested in a WOV Golf outing in the future.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
June 29th, 2018 at 8:20:50 PM permalink
Quote: ten2win

I started playing regularly about 5 years ago. Thinking I needed something to occupy my time in retirement, golf is MUCH cheaper than gambling.

After 2 years of GolfTec lessons, my GHIN handicap is down to 16.

I'm also a regular at The Fremont Spring and Fall Golf Tournament. 4 nights, 2 rounds of golf, 2 meals a day plus food coupons, monetary prizes for the top 3 teams in a scramble format and parimutuel betting on the teams. All included for $645. It's a lot of fun and i'm one of the youngsters who participates at 58. A nice mix of Mainlanders and Hawaiians.

Yesterday i played 18, after work, at the local Native American joint(Sandia)here in ABQ. A beautiful desert course since they have access to plenty of water. Despite the 100 degree heat and little wind, I shot a 91 from the white tees. No lost balls. And the course was set up for the annual Sun Country PGA tournament(VERY tough pin placements I'd never seen before). I payed a twilight rate of $39 which included a cart. We finished up around 1930.

I's be interested in a WOV Golf outing in the future.

16 is pretty solid IMO. IIRC the average # for all GHIN members is around 15. I would hover around 20 when I played a couple times a month.
A future WOV outing would be nice if possible. I need to replace my irons. Sold my ping set, but have yet to replace them. I really should start playing again.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
January 14th, 2019 at 6:13:30 PM permalink
Check out this guys golf swing. Hosung Choi
Most entertaining when he is using his driver
He is very good, a professional, but that is one crazy golf swing.
He has accepted a sponsor exemption into the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Feb. 7-10

"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: