1 vote (5.55%)

18 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1365
March 5th, 2015 at 3:10:33 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

I just don't see that happening at a large enough scale to be a large percentage of attendance. You think that every year you're going to see thousands of Florida Pathers fans coming to Vegas for hockey? Carolina Hurricanes? Tampa Bay Lightning? No way. You might get a few hundred at the most, but I don't see this as a yearly trip those fans will be making. As for fans back east like New York rangers, islanders, flyers etc... They can already go to Atlantic City. Why fly 3,000 just to go to a hockey game every year?

Biggest draw would be Canadian fans in my opinion.

I admit that the games against teams from the south-east US would not get much interest, I think we would do well enough with teams in the north-east. Plenty of people from the east coast would rather take the time to come to Vegas than the shorter trip to Atlantic City. I do agree that Canadian fans would be the biggest draw.

Quote: DRich

It will probably end up making more sense to just buy tickets on the secondary market for the games you would like to attend. There will be lots of them available and you will probably end up getting better seats at a price less than face value. When I was considering buying tickets I realized it would be between $8000 and $10,000 for four decent seats. Considering I will probably only go to five games a year I think I would get better seats for less money and not have to deal with trying to sell the tickets for the other forty games.

Yeah, that is what the other side of my brain is saying. If the season tickets were a good value then you would expect the private sector to gobble up the tickets as opposed to begging potential fans with huge ads in the LVRJ and commercials on TV.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
March 5th, 2015 at 3:30:40 PM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

The Las Vegas 51s are a AAA affiliate for the New York Mets.

Why 51s? Is that a blackjack deck with and ace removed?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
March 5th, 2015 at 3:32:55 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yeah, that is what the other side of my brain is saying. If the season tickets were a good value then you would expect the private sector to gobble up the tickets as opposed to begging potential fans with huge ads in the LVRJ and commercials on TV.

Don't buy season tickets unless you really, really like the team and sport. Season tickets are for huge fans or businesses who do a ton of entertaining. On a new team you will no be able to sell for any kind of profit. Buying individual will give more flexibility. If you want to take a 3rd person you are locked if you buy just 2 season tix.

I think the NBA would sell better in Vegas than the NHL.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
March 5th, 2015 at 4:01:35 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Why 51s? Is that a blackjack deck with and ace removed?

Area 51
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 5th, 2015 at 4:33:51 PM permalink

I'm very tempted to put down a deposit for season tickets to the potential Vegas NHL team. My plan would be to sell most of them but it would be fun to attend some of the games. I think the local fan base would be awful. I rarely meet anybody over the age of 30 who was born here. Vegas has got to be the most transient city in America. However, I could see the team being financially successful through selling tickets to Canadians looking for an excuse to come down here.

BTW, I attended a home game of the Ariz Cardinals vs. Minnesota Vikings. I'd say that 60% of the crowd was rooting for the Vikings. The disparity would be even more here.

This was the reasoning when they put teams in florida, that the Canadians there in the winter would support the teams but it hasn't worked out. The c.f.l. tried vegas also and it was a disaster.
get second you pig
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
March 5th, 2015 at 6:10:57 PM permalink
Quote: thlf

Demo household Vegas vs Milwaukee. Looks very similar to me. I don't see Vegas as poor and vagrant. I still don't think they will support an NHL team tho.

Milwaukee
Las Vegas

Yeah. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is more unreported cash floating around in Vegas.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 131
March 13th, 2015 at 11:30:28 AM permalink

I'm very tempted to put down a deposit for season tickets to the potential Vegas NHL team. My plan would be to sell most of them but it would be fun to attend some of the games. I think the local fan base would be awful. I rarely meet anybody over the age of 30 who was born here. Vegas has got to be the most transient city in America. However, I could see the team being financially successful through selling tickets to Canadians looking for an excuse to come down here.

BTW, I attended a home game of the Ariz Cardinals vs. Minnesota Vikings. I'd say that 60% of the crowd was rooting for the Vikings. The disparity would be even more here.

this was in todays Detroit paper....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2015/03/13/detroit-sports-city-travel/70276376/
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 13th, 2015 at 11:50:40 AM permalink
Reports like that are somewhat flawed because it is taking a city like Detroit which has 4 major teams compared to cities with 1 or 2.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
March 13th, 2015 at 9:24:55 PM permalink
Not sure if you can get enough NHL fans for some of the teams but you would certainly get enough support from the 4 western Canada teams. Vancouver already runs junkets to LA and Anaheim sometimes also with Phoenix or San Jose when the Canucks are on a road trip.

It is very popular because even with the air fare and hotels it is cheaper than tickets in Vancouver.

Same thing would happen when the Grizzlies were in Vancouver but in reverse. Lots of American NBA fans had season tickets because they were cheap and easy to get.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.

• Jump to: