Riva
Riva
  • Threads: 73
February 11th, 2015 at 8:48:10 AM permalink
There has been some discussion with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission to change the regulations whereby a patron at a bar or restaurant can pour their own beer from a keg. Several states currently allow this so it's probably only a matter of time before we have it here.

Patrons are issued a card or wristband that they simply swipe in front of a electronic reader. The reader then opens the tap and the patron can then fill up an entire glass or pour just a few ounces from any/all varieties of beer available. Process are in place to assure that the patron has not overindulged.

Some benefits include that it reduces the time to order a beer, increases overall beer sales and, the house gets paid for every ounce of beer, including foam.

- Has anybody been to a place that offers this (Chicago)?
- What was your experience?
- Did you "'sample" a variety of beers or stick with one product?
- Did you spend more money than you thought you would?
- Did it detract from your normal "social experience" in a saloon to any degree?

Be interested in any feedback.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 11th, 2015 at 8:58:10 AM permalink
Quote: Riva

Several states currently allow this so it's probably only a matter of time before we have it here.

If you want it push its success in other states and push its advantages as an anti-crime measure... no date rape drugs.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
February 11th, 2015 at 9:06:58 AM permalink
A restaurant in the back of the Pioneer Laughlin has this available. Each booth has two beers to choose from. When I was there the two beers were Sam Adams original and a Sam Adams seasonal. A special key is needed to activate the flow and there was a digital display on the wall showing how many ounces we poured.

We enjoyed it because we were never left with an empty glass. We stuck with the seasonal. We spent more money and drank slightly more than we would have otherwise.
100% risk of ruin
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 11th, 2015 at 9:07:22 AM permalink
Saw it as paid placement on "Bar Rescue" and they had to rip it out after the show as the state did not allow it.

Not sure I like the idea. If I want to get my own beer I will stay home. Yes, you refill soft drinks, but I go to a bar to get a little interaction. I also do not want to pay for foam, a regular bartender can take the time to see the beer is poured right.

The kids will adopt it, however.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 11th, 2015 at 9:50:20 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If I want to get my own beer I will stay home.

Indeed. Especially since it's unlikely that the bar would offer any sort of discount to accompany the decreased level of service.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
February 11th, 2015 at 10:03:35 AM permalink
They have those in the state I live in. Not too popular in my city, but it isn't a college town, may work better there.

You pay for the number of ounces on a re-loadable card and then swipe or scan the card and pour up to your limit. At the locations I've been at, the taps are all in a central location and the establishment ID's those who enter the area to pour.

I could see this working in concert and sports settings where there are a large number of people and you have to search for a beer anyhow (unless you have some sort of 'in seat service' arrangement.).

I personally didn't like it in a local bar or restaurant, I want someone to serve me my beer, not have to walk away from the people I'm socializing with to pour my own.
Riva
Riva
February 11th, 2015 at 10:04:16 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Indeed. Especially since it's unlikely that the bar would offer any sort of discount to accompany the decreased level of service.

All valid points. Keep 'em coming!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
February 11th, 2015 at 11:40:45 AM permalink
This system is in use at The Linq. You provide a card and then it measures and charges but what you pour. They have 4 choices per table.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 11th, 2015 at 11:59:49 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

You pay for the number of ounces on a re-loadable card and then swipe or scan the card and pour up to your limit. At the locations I've been at, the taps are all in a central location and the establishment ID's those who enter the area to pour.

We had a primitive version of this in college. You paid $3 and got beer from a central keg.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Riva
Riva
February 11th, 2015 at 1:44:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

We had a primitive version of this in college. You paid $3 and got beer from a central keg.

We had that in college too.

I think this platform would be excellent at our fundraisers. We'd get better keg yield, sell more beer overall and, it would require far less manpower than it currently requires (volunteers).
  • Jump to: