kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 29th, 2014 at 8:40:23 PM permalink
An amazing performance by Madison Bumgarner. I had a little money ($300) on the Giants @ +132, so I am very happy, BUT, can someone explain to me how Madison Bumgarner qualifies for the win? He entered the game in the 5th inning with a 3-2 lead. He pitched the rest of the game and the final was 3-2. By my understanding of baseball rules that should be a save. A rather long save, but a save, not a win. Did they just change the rules for him for sentimental reasons? Or am I missing something? Those more knowledgeable, please weigh in.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
October 29th, 2014 at 8:51:38 PM permalink
I heard Joe Buck mention that too, would love to understand the reasoning behind this?
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
October 29th, 2014 at 8:56:13 PM permalink
Because Bumgarner was the most effective relief pitcher. This applies when the normal winning relief pitcher made a brief appearance and was completely useless (JA)--so they give the win to the other guy (MB). Because Affeldt's appearance was not brief and was very effective, this is a clear abuse of scorer's discretion. If you read between the lines, the real reason MB got the win was because they wanted to inflate his already historic numbers...sort of how when the last batter in a no-hitter hits that line shot grounder that the infielder can't possibly come up with, it's scored an error.

Note--If Hudson would have left with the lead, MB getting the win is a non-issue. Hudson earned the win, but doesn't qualify for it, so they have to give it to whoever else they want. Here, Affeldt earned it and qualified for it, but they gave it to MB anyway.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 29th, 2014 at 9:02:44 PM permalink
I hate that I know this, but...

In order for a pitcher to get credit for a win, he must satisfy a number of conditions. The one the starting pitcher appears to have missed is to pitch at least 5 innings.

Being pulled in the 5th isn't 5 full innings.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 29th, 2014 at 9:08:30 PM permalink
Quote: Face

In order for a pitcher to get credit for a win, he must satisfy a number of conditions. The one the starting pitcher appears to have missed is to pitch at least 5 innings.

That has nothing to do with the question, sorry face. You are to baseball as BBB is to BJ.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 9:12:55 PM permalink

The starting pitcher was pulled in the second inning, so it isn't a question as to why he doesn't get the win. But as sonuvabish mentioned, reliever, Affeldt pitched 2 & 1/3 innings from the second until the 4th at which point the Giants took the lead that they did not relinquish. My understanding of the rules is he (Affeldt) should be the winning pitcher and Bumgarner should get a save. Seems like a pretty clear cut case.
chefphydeaux
chefphydeaux
  • Threads: 1
October 29th, 2014 at 9:17:16 PM permalink
I don't think it was a serious abuse of official scoring. It is his discretion to who gets the win in the situation. Jeremy Affeldt game in the bottom of 2nd inning, a tie game. He pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless ball. In his final inning of work, he held a lead his team had given him in top of that inning, the 4th.
Normally in that situation he, affeldt, would be awarded the win, the next pitcher or pitchers given holds ( what a bullshit made up useless stat), and the final pitcher a save.
In this case the following pitcher, Bumgarner, thew 5 scoreless and basically dominating innings. Affeldt pitched with a lead for 1 inning, the next guy 5. IF there had been a succession of 1 inning relievers after Afeldt I think he would have been awarded the win. In this case the official scorer was within his or her discretion. The win stat is almost meaningless in baseball when measuring a pitchers success and effectiveness. This is what you need to know about Bumgarners World Series: 21 IP, .2something ERA and a WHIP of .38. Those are historic, with or without the 3 wins.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 29th, 2014 at 9:19:09 PM permalink
The scorer's are basically saying Affeldt was ineffective OR that Hudson left with the lead, both of which are untrue (unless it's acceptable to define ineffective as being unable to pitch 5+ innings). If anyone actually cares, some heads may roll because this is NOT a correct scoring decision under the rules.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 29th, 2014 at 9:25:04 PM permalink
This just in: The official scorer's decision to give MB the win was changed. MB was given the save. Seems we are more qualified to his job than he is.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/update/24774547/giants-madison-bumgarner-caps-world-series-with-another-win
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 29th, 2014 at 9:26:34 PM permalink
Quote: chefphydeaux

I don't think it was a serious abuse of official scoring. It is his discretion to who gets the win in the situation. .

wrong. you don't just go...hey that guy did a great job, I think I'll give him the win. there are rules. Discretion is allowed when the rules say so. The scorer took discretion when he was allowed none. Wins may seem meaningless, but they sure effect a kid's point of view as to who's better. And they effect million-dollar contracts as well.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 9:40:31 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

This just in: The official scorer's decision to give MB the win was changed. MB was given the save. Seems we are more qualified to his job than he is.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/update/24774547/giants-madison-bumgarner-caps-world-series-with-another-win

This correction was the correct decision IMO. Bumgarner was truly amazing, but you can't just change the rules to award him a win. The save is the correct call.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 29th, 2014 at 9:45:44 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The starting pitcher was pulled in the second inning, so it isn't a question as to why he doesn't get the win. But as sonuvabish mentioned, reliever, Affeldt pitched 2 & 1/3 innings from the second until the 4th at which point the Giants took the lead that they did not relinquish. My understanding of the rules is he (Affeldt) should be the winning pitcher and Bumgarner should get a save. Seems like a pretty clear cut case.

That's not true in this case, either of the two relievers can qualify for the win because it is determined by the official scorer's judgment on, "Most effective," reliever because the starting pitcher did not go five full innings. If the starting pitcher had gone five full innings and the, "Winning run," was scored while a relief pitcher was on the mound, then it would be a clear cut case because that is the only pitcher who could get the win, pursuant to the rules.

In this case, I agree with the official scorer's decision, check out the stats:

Innings Pitched: Affeldt 2.1, Bumgarner: 5

Hits Allowed: Affeldt 1, Bumgarner: 2

Hits Allowed Per Inning: Affeldt: .42857, Bumgarner: .4

Walks: None

Strikeouts: Affeldt: 0, Bumgarner: 4

Strikeouts per Inning: Affeldt, 0, Bumgarner, .8

Pitches/Strikes: Affeldt: 32/21 (65.625%) Bumgarner: 68/50 (73.529%)

Therefore, in addition to the fact that he pitched longer, finished up the game, and pitched the length of time that a starter would need to pitch for his pitch to qualify for a win/loss, Bumgarner was statistically better in every possible category, except walks, because neither had any. Bumgarner was, hands down, the most effective pitcher.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
October 29th, 2014 at 9:53:06 PM permalink
Apparently, it was posted that they changed the decision while I was typing that!

Either way, I agree with the original decision, but have no problem with a win for Affeldt and a save for Bumgarner. Bumgarner was still statistically the most effective pitcher, though.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 9:57:11 PM permalink
None of that matters, Mission. It isn't a matter of who was the better pitcher of the two relievers. There are rules that are pretty clear. Bumgarner entered the game with a 3-2 lead. You don't register a win in that situation. The pitcher that was pitching when the team took the lead gets the win.

Anyway, no real sense in disusing it further. The official scoring has now been changed to what it should be. I was just surprised by that initial decision, as it went against what my understanding of the rule was. Since it has been changed, my understanding must still be correct.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 10:00:31 PM permalink
Interesting thought though......with all the prop bets available, if there was a prop bet as to who would register the win, things must have been kaotic. There may have been wagers paid off before the correction.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 10:20:09 PM permalink
Wow, the scoring change changing the winning pitcher from Bumgarner to Affeldt was made 50 minutes after the game went final. This must have been an issue for sportbooks on winning pitcher prop bets.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/madison-bumgarner-scoring-change-takes-away-game-7-win-longest-world-series-save-instead-102914
Mission146
Mission146
October 29th, 2014 at 10:52:59 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

None of that matters, Mission. It isn't a matter of who was the better pitcher of the two relievers. There are rules that are pretty clear. Bumgarner entered the game with a 3-2 lead. You don't register a win in that situation. The pitcher that was pitching when the team took the lead gets the win.

Anyway, no real sense in disusing it further. The official scoring has now been changed to what it should be. I was just surprised by that initial decision, as it went against what my understanding of the rule was. Since it has been changed, my understanding must still be correct.

It can matter:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

Quote:

(b) If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed
(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense, or
(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher, if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer’s judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher.

Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.

In this case, it was apparently determined after the fact that the two pitchers were equally effective, so Affeldt was given the win after that. Again, I have no problem with either decision, but would defend the first decision based on, "Base runners given up by each relief pitcher and context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher's appearance." Bumgarner gave up fewer base runners per inning pitched and he held a one-run lead pitching five scoreless innings, so I think he was statistically most effective.

That said, my only real point is that the Rules allow Bumgarner to get credit for the win if that is the official scorer's judgment because the starting pitcher did not last five innings.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2014 at 11:08:52 PM permalink
Nope! You are mixing up segments of the rule. The winning pitcher is the pitcher who was pitching when his team took the lead and does not relinquish that lead. The exception is for a starting pitcher who's team takes while the starting pitcher is pitching, but the starting pitcher does not pitch the necessary 5 innings. In such a case the scorer has discretion to award the win to either (or any) reliever.

But that was not the case here. It would have been the case if the Giants had taken the lead while starting pitcher Hudson was pitching, since Hudson only pitched less than two innings. In that case the scorer could have declared either Affeldt or Bumgarner the winning pitcher. But because the Giants took the lead while a reliever (Affeldt) was pitching, he is the winning pitcher. Period! There is no discretion involved. Even if a reliever pitches 1/3 of an inning, recording the final out of an inning and then his team takes the lead and hold it, he is the winning pitcher. The discretion part ONLY comes into play if the team took the lead while the starting pitcher was pitching, but he does not pitch the required 5 innings. Again, that was not the case here.
Mission146
Mission146
October 29th, 2014 at 11:21:24 PM permalink
You're right, I read that over again, the lead has to be gained while the starting pitcher is pitching for that to possibly apply. At least the official scorer for that game doesn't know how to read, either, maybe I can get that job; I applied for umpire, but was denied due to having 20/20 vision.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 30th, 2014 at 3:02:11 AM permalink

That has nothing to do with the question, sorry face. You are to baseball as BBB is to BJ.

Son,

Pretty offensive of you to take a gratuitous swipe at me in a conversation I'm not even a part of.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 30th, 2014 at 10:55:45 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

That's not true in this case, either of the two relievers can qualify for the win because it is determined by the official scorer's judgment on, "Most effective," reliever because the starting pitcher did not go five full innings. If the starting pitcher had gone five full innings and the, "Winning run," was scored while a relief pitcher was on the mound, then it would be a clear cut case because that is the only pitcher who could get the win, pursuant to the rules.

Your statement is completely wrong. If a reliever comes into a tie game, as here, then his team scores, he's the pitcher of record unless his team gives up the lead and a new pitcher of record is established. Most effective is irrelevant. The established pitcher can only be quashed if he is deemed ineffective AND his appearance was brief. Affeldt was neither. If he had been, they fall back on the most effective standard (and MB would have been the default, his stellar performance, which seemingly is the basis of your defense, would have been irrelevant since he was merely less ineffective).

The only instance in which a scorer can choose which reliever he wants to award the win is the one I mentioned. The example I gave is where Hudson does not go 5 innings, but leaves WITH THE LEAD. If that had been the case, the scorer does in fact choose the 'most effective' reliever.

They wouldn't have corrected the scorer's decision if it wasn't egregiously wrong.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 30th, 2014 at 11:15:23 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Son,

Pretty offensive of you to take a gratuitous swipe at me in a conversation I'm not even a part of.

Quote: Buzzard

It took a while, but Sonovabish lived up to his name.

I was pretty offended by this gratuitous swipe made when I was suspended. Took me all of 4 seconds to find one. I assumed it was allowed, since we have AN ENTIRE THREAD dedicated to gratuitous swipes that is longer than all other threads. Also, if people are truly offended by jests that are in no way intended to be insulting, and are only offended by select posters who might say identical things as another poster, then maybe there should be a sub-rule in chapter 42 about gratuities. I basically said Face knows a little about baseball rules, and u know a little bit about BJ strategy. None of which is wrong, but may not be applicable. I apparently know more. I can see how offensive that was. If you wish no contact with me ever, then I will never reference you again. I hope that resolves it.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 30th, 2014 at 1:12:59 PM permalink

wrong. you don't just go...hey that guy did a great job, I think I'll give him the win. there are rules. Discretion is allowed when the rules say so. The scorer took discretion when he was allowed none. Wins may seem meaningless, but they sure effect a kid's point of view as to who's better. And they effect million-dollar contracts as well.

They affect contracts, but the reality is that wins don't accurately describe a pitcher's value. Advanced metrics do a much better job. For me, it's WHIP [(walks+hits)/innings pitched], GB/FB ratio, and HR/FB ratio. I think FIP (fielding independent pitching) is too loose, because it is too hard to isolate the individuals involved. But the lower the WHIP, the better the pitcher. The more grounders, the better the pitcher. The more fly balls that stay in the yard, the better the pitcher. (Some argue that HR/FB is subjective and kind of random, but my thinking is that the more movement on your pitches, the less likely you get squared up.)

ETA, we actually agree, except that you say give him the win, and I say ignore the value of the win, which essentially is the same. The guy was awesome.
A falling knife has no handle.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 30th, 2014 at 1:25:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

They affect contracts, but the reality is that wins don't accurately describe a pitcher's value. Advanced metrics do a much better job. For me, it's WHIP [(walks+hits)/innings pitched], GB/FB ratio, and HR/FB ratio. I think FIP (fielding independent pitching) is too loose, because it is too hard to isolate the individuals involved. But the lower the WHIP, the better the pitcher. The more grounders, the better the pitcher. The more fly balls that stay in the yard, the better the pitcher. (Some argue that HR/FB is subjective and kind of random, but my thinking is that the more movement on your pitches, the less likely you get squared up.)

ETA, we actually agree, except that you say give him the win, and I say ignore the value of the win, which essentially is the same. The guy was awesome.

Agreed that wins don't reflect the pitcher's value in a vacuum. This is best demonstrated by a mediocre reliever who goes 4-1 and a great closer who goes 1-2. I hate sabremetrics. I never even heard of them until a minority of people started saying "hey let's NOT give the the MVP to Miguel Cabrera, let's give it to the Rookie of the Year. What's the Triple Crown mean?" In a moment of rare introspection, I will say it's possible they have merit, but that ridiculous argument--which ultimately brought them to public light as a measuring system, will forever bias me against them since it seems apparent that whackos are using them. I think that ultimately, if you only look at 1 lone pitching stat, the win/loss record is the best indicator. A mediocre reliever will not go 10-0. A bad starter won't go 20-5. If you're up by 7 runs, it doesn't matter if all your other stats start to sour. And they do. If a pitcher only pitches when they are losing by 12 runs, he will never get over 500, but he may have one of the best SABRE stats in the game. And he probably sux.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 30th, 2014 at 3:21:42 PM permalink

Quote: Mosca

Agreed that wins don't reflect the pitcher's value in a vacuum. This is best demonstrated by a mediocre reliever who goes 4-1 and a great closer who goes 1-2. I hate sabremetrics. I never even heard of them until a minority of people started saying "hey let's NOT give the the MVP to Miguel Cabrera, let's give it to the Rookie of the Year. What's the Triple Crown mean?" In a moment of rare introspection, I will say it's possible they have merit, but that ridiculous argument--which ultimately brought them to public light as a measuring system, will forever bias me against them since it seems apparent that whackos are using them. I think that ultimately, if you only look at 1 lone pitching stat, the win/loss record is the best indicator. A mediocre reliever will not go 10-0. A bad starter won't go 20-5. If you're up by 7 runs, it doesn't matter if all your other stats start to sour. And they do. If a pitcher only pitches when they are losing by 12 runs, he will never get over 500, but he may have one of the best SABRE stats in the game. And he probably sux.

I agree mostly. As a fan it is more fun to track the stats of great players as they climb through the season. I think the advanced metrics do a better job of finding out who's playing really well but not putting up great stats. We can now track line drive rate, and find out who is barreling up the ball but not getting the gaps. OPS can show the value of an all around performer like Andrew McCutchen, who doesn't lead the league in any one thing but is near the top in almost all of them. WHIP can show who is pitching well but not getting run support, like Samardzjia did for the Cubs.

One of the best pitchers of the 50s and 60s gets little recognition today: Bob Friend. Friend is the only pitcher in MLB history to lose 200 games without also winning 200; he ended his career 197-230. But he also pitched for the Pirates in the 1950s, one of the worst teams of the era. He had the ignomy to lead the league in wins one year (22, 1958) and follow with leading the league in losses the next (19, 1959). But taking into account all his stats, he ended his career with the Pirates with a WAR (wins above replacement) of 47; Whitey Ford made the HOF with a WAR of 53. You gotta be pretty good just to get the chance to lose 200 games.
A falling knife has no handle.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 31st, 2014 at 8:44:49 AM permalink

I was pretty offended by this gratuitous swipe made when I was suspended. Took me all of 4 seconds to find one. I assumed it was allowed, since we have AN ENTIRE THREAD dedicated to gratuitous swipes that is longer than all other threads. Also, if people are truly offended by jests that are in no way intended to be insulting, and are only offended by select posters who might say identical things as another poster, then maybe there should be a sub-rule in chapter 42 about gratuities. I basically said Face knows a little about baseball rules, and u know a little bit about BJ strategy. None of which is wrong, but may not be applicable. I apparently know more. I can see how offensive that was. If you wish no contact with me ever, then I will never reference you again. I hope that resolves it.

Son,

I would have enjoyed getting teased if I'd known it was a joke, because it was kind of funny. Any indication that you were jesting would have made that clear. Sorry to have taken it as an insult. Please consider some indication (joke) j/k :) whatever so I don't mistake your intent again.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: