ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 3rd, 2021 at 7:07:02 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: Wizard

I was screaming at the television last night, watching the latest episode of Survivor.

At tribal counsel, Deshawn had to play a game where he would either me immediately eliminated or granted immunity at Tribal Counsel. The game turned out to be the Monty Hall problem. Imagine my reaction when after Jeff revealed a "goat" and Deshawn was given the option to switch, he said "no." I was beside myself, screaming at TV. I prayed the gods of math would punish him by getting the other "goat" and being eliminated. Alas, it was not to be. As they say, sometimes it is better to be lucky than right.

link to original post

Yes, and one of the contestants (I believe it was Xander) called out "its the Monty Hall problem" before Deshawn made his decision. So, this was not lost on the at least one of the contestants.
link to original post

I had never heard of this before seeing Xander make that comment.

Made me wonder if a more likeable player than Deshawn had been in the situation if the producers would have chosen something with better odds to stay.

BTW - Xander has gotta be one of the best Survivor players in ages. I am so impressed with him.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ams288
ams288
December 3rd, 2021 at 7:14:12 PM permalink
Okay - let me preface this by saying I’m not a math guy at all, so I’m not sure if this applies here.

The 007 Die Another Day slot machines have an option where you can spend something like $20, $40, or $100 to “buy” a 3/7 chance of getting a bonus.

You pick one suitcase out of seven. Three have bonuses. Four have nothing. After you pick one, one will get eliminated (not necessarily one of the “no bonus” cases) and it will show you what was in that case. Then it will allow you to keep the one you chose or switch to a different case.

If the one that gets eliminated was a “no bonus” case - would it be best to switch to a different case than the one you originally picked?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
Thanked by
ams288
December 3rd, 2021 at 7:18:22 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

The 007 Die Another Day slot machines have an option where you can spend something like $20, $40, or $100 to “buy” a 3/7 chance of getting a bonus.

You pick one suitcase out of seven. Three have bonuses. Four have nothing. After you pick one, one will get eliminated (not necessarily one of the “no bonus” cases) and it will show you what was in that case. Then it will allow you to keep the one you chose or switch to a different case.

If the one that gets eliminated was a “no bonus” case - would it be best to switch to a different case than the one you originally picked?
link to original post

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, the case that is eliminated was chosen randomly from the other six. Then it wouldn't make any difference whether you switched or not.

This should not be compared to the Monty Hall case, because you said the eliminated case can have a bonus or nothing. If it always showed nothing, then, yes, you should switch, assuming the end outcome wasn't predestined, as is often the case.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
Thanked by
Wizard
December 3rd, 2021 at 7:52:13 PM permalink
Thanks, Wiz! The chart you put in the article helped me understand this perfectly.

I guess my hang up was there only being 3 doors/cases. It makes much more sense with more!

Only having 3 is the mathematical equivalent of a 4 or 10 being the point in craps, so switching or not switching is not as big of a difference as more doors/cases would be!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 4th, 2021 at 6:27:44 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

Thanks, Wiz! The chart you put in the article helped me understand this perfectly.
link to original post

You're welcome.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ams288
ams288
May 12th, 2022 at 11:34:11 AM permalink
They did this again on last night’s episode of Survivor.

It played out the exact same way as it did last season. Three boxes: two skulls, one flame. She picked a box. Jeff opened one of the skulls and told her she could switch her choice. She stuck with her original box, and it was the flame.
  • Jump to: