Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 10th, 2014 at 4:52:01 PM permalink
It's more of an anti-concept the way it's used these days. That is to say, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

But I bet I can make it good with some garlic, tomatoes, onions, spices, vegetables and some time in the oven. Served with rice on the side, of course.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 10th, 2014 at 4:52:44 PM permalink
How is this not a poll? As an extremely greedy person, I vote "yes".
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
March 10th, 2014 at 4:55:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Maybe not in the dictionary, but I have never met a Republican who didn't proudly say, if asked, off camera, "greed is good."

I wish they would say something like "rational self interest is good" rather than greed but ultimately it means the same thing. If people were not greedy, ever seeking to improve their lot in life, we would still be living in caves and regularly losing our children to disease, cold, animal attacks, etc.

Also was going to PM gpac but he has pm's disabled....awesome that you link to Rothbard. He was a very wise man.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
March 10th, 2014 at 5:18:19 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Also was going to PM gpac but he has pm's disabled....awesome that you link to Rothbard. He was a very wise man.

Sorry about that. I'm slightly anti-social.

Rothbard was one of the great intellects of Austrian economics, and is basically the father of anarcho-capitalism. I'm a fan :)
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 10th, 2014 at 6:01:33 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

I wish they would say something like "rational self interest is good" rather than greed n.

Ayn Rand rocks!
Each day is better than the next
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
March 10th, 2014 at 6:05:30 PM permalink
Is greed good?
No.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
March 11th, 2014 at 8:38:03 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Is greed good?
No.

Care to elaborate? After 13 years of Catholic school this would not be the first disagreement I've had with cleregy..
Vote for Nobody 2020!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 11th, 2014 at 9:48:44 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Is greed good?
No.

Agree that greed is not good. However, and not quoting you, disagree that Ayn Rand was about greed. She was as anti-greed as they come, more than most. She put forth the following ideas, among others:

1. Governments do not have the right to confiscate the work product or intellectual property of individuals.
2. Persons who assume anyone owes them anything by virtue of relationship, familiarity, or the fact of the other person's industry bringing rewards should think again.
3. Genuine dissent is valuable; toadyism, hidden agendae, and propaganda are destructive.
4. Union practices such as cronyism and featherbedding are unethical and anti-capitalist.
5. A person's individual work, whether intellectual, industrial, or simply sweat equity, belongs to the individual, along with any financial rewards that work brings.
6. Critical review of works often say more about the critic than about the work, many times to the detriment of creativity.
7. The creative person needs to recognize and protect the inherent value of their creation, and not allow others to inflate or depreciate that value.

I would find it hard to believe there are many people on this board who disagree with any of these. The recent discussion about loans is a case in point re: 2.

Both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are cautionary tales, set in alternate near-futures to their time, taking circumstances and undercurrents into near-absurdity by exaggerating only slightly their possible consequences. She was, IMO, quite right in nearly everything she said. But, unfortunately, her work has been twisted into some kind of paean to greed that it was never intended to be. YMMV.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 11th, 2014 at 10:52:00 AM permalink
Excellant post…….beachbumbabs
Each day is better than the next
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 11th, 2014 at 12:02:40 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Excellant post…….beachbumbabs

You know what scene I love in Atlas Shrugged? After the tunnel collapse when Jim Taggart tries to obtain Dagny's whereabouts from Eddy Willers. Eddy says he won't tell him. Jim says he won't believe Eddy doesn't know where she is. So Eddy clarifies by saying he knows, but he won't tell. Then Jim dares him to repeat that in front of witnesses (not realizing or caring they're in Dagny's office after all).

So Eddy gets defensive and says "That's not what I said!"

No, wait. That doesn't seem like Eddy Willers at all. Oh, right! Eddy raises his voice and says, "I know here she is. I won't tell you." Yes, that's definitely what an honest man, secure in his convictions and unafraid to take responsibility for his actions would say.

Eddy wasn't greedy, though ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: