8 votes (24.24%)
6 votes (18.18%)
4 votes (12.12%)

33 members have voted

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 7th, 2014 at 11:10:01 AM permalink
There are plenty of signs that you have an addiction to gambling, and there is a quiz out there that will measure your likelihood at Gambler's Anonymous.

quiz here

Answer 7 or more and you're likely an addict. I answered 9, and I've admitted to this forum before of my ins and outs with addiction.

Being an addict is okay as long as it is not harming anyone, in my view. For example, if you have a million dollars in your bank account, and you spend 6 hours a day playing $10 craps, you're an addict, but if you still have a job, still have good relationships, and all of that, you likely aren't harming anyone though you're definitely an addict.

On the other hand, if you are on welfare and am spending all of your disposable income on scratcher's, you're likely an addict too with much more terrible consequences.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 7th, 2014 at 11:24:22 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

For example, if you have a million dollars in your bank account, and you spend 6 hours a day playing $10 craps, you're an addict, but if you still have a job, still have good relationships, and all of that, you likely aren't harming anyone though you're definitely an addict.

How do you figure that you're definitely an addict in this case?

What if you spend those 6 hours a day watching TV or playing video games? If you have 6 hours a day of leisure time, are you saying that if you spend it all doing the same thing you are an addict, but if you mix it up then you're not? Or is gambling a special case here?
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 7th, 2014 at 11:43:45 AM permalink
If you spend 6 hours of leisure time watching TV and can't do anything else, you're likely an addict. It doesn't harm anyone, but you're still an addict.

Really, for me the telltale signs of harmful addiction are:

(1) Using the activity as the "go-to" as an escape from stress.
(2) Missing events as a result of your activity (ie work, school, family events)
(3) The activity causes emotional, physical, or financial stress.
(4) There is guilt or remore felt before, during, or after the activity.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 7th, 2014 at 11:58:13 AM permalink
Too subjective an argument for me.
I am a robot.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 7th, 2014 at 1:06:29 PM permalink

If you spend 6 hours of leisure time watching TV and can't do anything else, you're likely an addict. It doesn't harm anyone, but you're still an addict.

I guess, my point here is, you are going to spend your leisure time doing what you enjoy. If you only enjoy one thing, I don't necessarily think that makes you an addict.

I know people who eat Chinese food every day. It's all they eat. It's all they like. Now, I, personally, couldn't do this. I like variety. I like lots of different kinds of food, and I want to eat something different than I ate yesterday. But, I understand that not everyone is like this. It's not necessarily addiction. Some people just like routine.

Again, if you have 6 hrs of leisure time per day, I don't see much difference between someone who spends all 6 hours gambling, and someone who watches a movie for 2 hrs, gambles for an hour, works out for an hour, watches an hour of TV, and plays video games for an hour. You might say that the second person has more varied interests than the first, but that doesn't make the first person an addict.

Now, if the first person is skipping out on his responsibilities order to fit in his 6 hrs of gambling, then I'd agree that there might be a problem (although the problem might just be laziness, not addiction) But if it's just free time, and the money is insignificant... I don't see what the big deal is.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 7th, 2014 at 1:15:19 PM permalink

On the other hand, if you are on welfare and am spending all of your disposable income on scratcher's, you're likely an addict too with much more terrible consequences.

That's the key word to me. I'm a big fan of Dr. Drew and he always defines addiction as "continuing use in the face of adverse consequence." It may not be a clinical definition, but it works for me.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
LarryS
LarryS
January 7th, 2014 at 1:37:29 PM permalink
<<<<<<I know people who eat Chinese food every day. It's all they eat. It's all they like>>>>

yeah..there is over a billion of them..................IN CHINA
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 7th, 2014 at 1:41:54 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

yeah..there is over a billion of them..................IN CHINA

I'm pretty sure that there is other food available there. I've never been to a country where ONLY native food was available.

I don't understand how people eat the same thing every single day. So boring....
tournamentking
tournamentking
  • Threads: 2
January 7th, 2014 at 1:52:51 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I guess, my point here is, you are going to spend your leisure time doing what you enjoy. If you only enjoy one thing, I don't necessarily think that makes you an addict.

I know people who eat Chinese food every day. It's all they eat. It's all they like. Now, I, personally, couldn't do this. I like variety. I like lots of different kinds of food, and I want to eat something different than I ate yesterday. But, I understand that not everyone is like this. It's not necessarily addiction. Some people just like routine.

Again, if you have 6 hrs of leisure time per day, I don't see much difference between someone who spends all 6 hours gambling, and someone who watches a movie for 2 hrs, gambles for an hour, works out for an hour, watches an hour of TV, and plays video games for an hour. You might say that the second person has more varied interests than the first, but that doesn't make the first person an addict.

Now, if the first person is skipping out on his responsibilities order to fit in his 6 hrs of gambling, then I'd agree that there might be a problem (although the problem might just be laziness, not addiction) But if it's just free time, and the money is insignificant... I don't see what the big deal is.

Looks like you're self-defining the word addict mingled with excuses. When it comes to addiction to gambling very few will ever admit to it, even if they're able to do so in an anonymous setting like this. Just reading the word generally raises an addict's blood pressure. When they feel they have to define it and redefine it, all they're doing is looking for the one explanation (excuse) that makes them comfortable. The rest is for "everybody else".
LarryS
LarryS
January 7th, 2014 at 1:55:51 PM permalink
I geta kick out of people who conjure up their own definition of "addiction"

In fact one defense mechanism addicts use is to make up their own defition of addiction so that they dont qualify

According to one person here....if I spend time taking care of my ill mother, and miss work, or school, and if its a physical and financial burden on me....then I am somehow addicted to being a caregiver.

If someone goes to a prostitute for the first time and feels guilty before, during and after....they are addicts

And if someone plays golf on weekends to deal with stress, then they are addicted to golf.

There isa study that a short brisk walk outdoors during lunch break can reduce stress.....is that addicting bahavior

this is what happens when people pull definitions out from their behind

people can act compulsively, like a-holes, selfishly, rudely, uncaringly.....doesnt mean they are "addicts"

• Jump to: