terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
June 9th, 2013 at 12:11:56 PM permalink
Got a question on tipping. I figure this is a good place to ask since I probably tip more people in vegas then anyplace else.
When eating out I always tip 15 per cent unless its a buffet, then 2 to 3 bucks per person.
My question is what do you tip on take out? Not fast food but take out from sit down restaurants such as Outback ect. Getting the curbside takeaway service today. Bill comes to 25 and change. Plan on giving 28. That's 2 and change tip, think that's fair?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 9th, 2013 at 12:27:31 PM permalink
I'm one of the very few who tip Take Out people. Two and change is just fine.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 9th, 2013 at 12:27:55 PM permalink
I tip 20-25% when I sit down at a restaurant, but to be honest, it's never really occurred to me to tip on takeout. Now if they're coming to me (i.e. pizza delivery), that's a different story, but I've never tipped on takeout at a restaurant.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 9th, 2013 at 12:52:01 PM permalink
2 bucks for a buffet

15% give or take if I wanna round up the dollar amount at a regular place

3 bucks or so for pizza. By the way I used to deliver pizza and it is a rip off how delivery fees work. Only $1 out of $3.50 goes to the driver, and the rest goes to the store. I rarely get it delivered nowadays, I usually carryout which saves me a bundle if I'm only buying 1 pizza.

Never tip takeout. I don't see the point.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 9th, 2013 at 1:24:52 PM permalink
This is a totally arbitrary line, but I tip if the take-out is curbside but not if I need to pick it up from the counter.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 9th, 2013 at 1:26:38 PM permalink
I consider myself to be a very, very generous tipper. On the other hand, I refuse on principle to tip on carry-out. They aren't doing dishes, they aren't refilling your water, they aren't bringing you extra condiments. They packaged it, big whoop, so does every fast food that you don't tip. It just doesn't pass the smell test for me to tip on carry-out.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
djatc
djatc
June 9th, 2013 at 1:34:20 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I consider myself to be a very, very generous tipper. On the other hand, I refuse on principle to tip on carry-out. They aren't doing dishes, they aren't refilling your water, they aren't bringing you extra condiments. They packaged it, big whoop, so does every fast food that you don't tip. It just doesn't pass the smell test for me to tip on carry-out.

Tipping priorities seem to be out of whack for some people. I had a conversation with a co-worker and she said you only tip when you're winning to a dealer. I said you tip regardless, because you're playing there either way. Then we all went to pick up food at Red Robin and she tips the counter. I don't leave a cent and she gets upset. Why am I tipping for a service I didn't receive again?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
June 10th, 2013 at 6:28:44 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

This is a totally arbitrary line, but I tip if the take-out is curbside but not if I need to pick it up from the counter.

I tend to agree with that. If the tip would be $2.50-$4.99, I round up to the nearest multiple of $5.00, regardless of the bill. If the result of doing so would be $0.01-$2.49, I just do the multiple of $5.00 thing, and add sufficient singles to make sure the tip is no less than $2.50.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
June 10th, 2013 at 7:06:46 AM permalink
I hardly tip take out. The price that is indicated on the board is a minimum price, which is the take-out price.

I don't have a problem upping something to the nearest dollar if the person serving me is INCREDIBLY helpful, like giving me extra sauces that s/he should be charging me for, or if s/he manages to get an order up higher in the queue.

Starbucks is the primary example of this. They have a tip jar at the counter for basically doing their job. A barista should be providing you with the same service and same great product everytime with no need to tip. I used to give them whatever's left of a dollar, now I give them nothing -- why is that culture any different than any other take out restaurant?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mission146
Mission146
June 10th, 2013 at 7:32:29 AM permalink
I don't do coffee shops very often, but when I do, I just go to the nearest dollar that would make the tip $1.00-$1.99.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
June 10th, 2013 at 7:43:31 AM permalink
I ask the person handing me the takeout to check the order. Once he/she does that, I tip about 10% rounded to the nearest dollar. On a $44 or $46 takeout, I would hand over $50 and call it even. On a $14 takeout I would hand over $15. The up side of this is that my orders get checked and I get remembered. My takeouts are always right.
A falling knife has no handle.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 10th, 2013 at 8:17:26 AM permalink
If I am ordering the food myself and picking it up at the counter, I have done all the service myself, so no tip is necessary.
People may tip for this, but since no service is given out of the ordinary, it is wrong to tip because it is not earned.
If you tip for this, you're not tipping, you're just giving money away. It's not tipping, it's charity.
I am a robot.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
June 10th, 2013 at 8:33:50 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

If I am ordering the food myself and picking it up at the counter, I have done all the service myself, so no tip is necessary.
People may tip for this, but since no service is given out of the ordinary, it is wrong to tip because it is not earned.
If you tip for this, you're not tipping, you're just giving money away. It's not tipping, it's charity.

My scenario above is on phone orders. But I would do that on any order where I didn't see it being built. For example, if I watch the guy take my pepperoni pizza out of the oven, and make the meatball sub and put it in the bag, then no tip. I saw that I was getting what I ordered.
A falling knife has no handle.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 10th, 2013 at 8:37:35 AM permalink
I'm glad to see some others are as hard headed about this as I am.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 10th, 2013 at 8:38:37 AM permalink
Slightly off topic, but mad as heck...

There's a tip jar at the Wendy's in my neighborhood. It's right next to the collection box for the Dave Thomas foundation (this may be the wrong name, but there's a giant picture of Dave on the front of the thing...). I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
June 10th, 2013 at 8:40:12 AM permalink
I had a special take-out order from a sushi place once that needed special packing and I asked for some extra sauces and stuff. In that case I tipped for the take out.

Never used a curb side take out but a small tip there for the guy/gal who brings the bags to the car makes sense.

There is a pizza place where I regularly order to-go food and I usually put a dollar in the tip jar at the cash register. But we take out from there sometimes once a week and they're good guys and always do the orders right.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 10th, 2013 at 8:45:37 AM permalink
Not to be too much the curmudgeon, but I don't enjoy seeing "tip jars" on the counters of bakeries and similar places where the only "waiting" is done by a counter person.

Should I tip someone for selling me a loaf or bread?

Really!?
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
June 10th, 2013 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

There is a pizza place where I regularly order to-go food and I usually put a dollar in the tip jar at the cash register. But we take out from there sometimes once a week and they're good guys and always do the orders right.

I love it!

I've had conversations go like this, when I haven't felt like taking the kids out of the car:

"Will this be for pick-up or delivery?"

"Delivery."

"Address?"

"Your parking lot, silver PT Cruiser, I'll call you when I get there."

"What!?"

"I want you to deliver it to your own parking lot. You'll be tipped, I'll even ask for you specifically, when I call, if I can have your name."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 10th, 2013 at 8:59:08 AM permalink
I tip zero for takeout. Maybe let them keep the change. No point and leaves more money to tip the craps crew.

Actually if matters little as I avoid takeout.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
June 10th, 2013 at 10:13:30 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Not to be too much the curmudgeon, but I don't enjoy seeing "tip jars" on the counters of bakeries and similar places where the only "waiting" is done by a counter person.

Really!?

Couldn't agree more. I'm a frequenter of Dunkin Donuts for the coffee...which I get black. There is a tip jar right at the register. Literally all they do is put the coffee in the cup and put on a lid. It takes about 10 seconds. I'm supposed to tip for this?...really? That said I usally let them keep the silver which is a whoppin .20 But it's ridiculous to expect a tip at the counter of Dunkin Donuts.

Lets run the numbers. 10 seconds a pour...= 6 a minute X .20=$1.20 per minute x60 per hour = $72.00 per hour for pouring coffee.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 10th, 2013 at 10:47:54 AM permalink
I always considered myself a decent tipper, but I guess I am not. I guess I am a cheap wad. It just would never occur to me to tip take out. ??? I tip service oriented jobs that are providing a service individually to me, like waiter, bartender, bellhop, taxi cab driver, food delivery guy. I don't tip someone that is just doing their job and/or providing a service to a larger group of people that I am one of. That is not individual service.

So, I will tip a cab driver that provides a service for me individually, but I will not tip a bus driver, even a shuttle driver that is just doing his job, driving for a group. He has an employer that should pay his salary.

Now, when when staying at a hotel, if I call down asking for something special like more towels, I tip. I will also tip the maid, who cleans up my room during a multi-day stay. She is providing a service for me. BUT I will not leave a tip for the maid for cleaning the room after I have departed. That is not a service for me. I could care less if they clean the room. That is part of the hotel doing business and not my responsibility.

Restaurants: First of all, I don't like how the restaurant industry has been able to push off it's responsibility to compensate their employee onto the customer. A tip should be an extra couple bucks for providing better than average service. It should not be the bulk of the waiters salary. But, this seems to be the way society has gone, so I have no choice. I leave my 20%. It does irk me a little that a portion of that tip goes towards busing the table. Again, as in my hotel example, I could care less if they bus the table after I am gone. Isn't that part of doing business. I mean if they think they can serve the next people without cleaning, so be it. lol

Now buffets are even trickier. The server brings a drink and buses the table. I have already mentioned how I feel about the busing the table part, so I guess I am tipping for bringing my drink. ?? And some buffets, like Circus Circus for example, you even get your own drink. Exactly what am I tipping that server for??

I guess the bottom line is that I am not the decent tipper that I thought I was because I don't feel it is my responsibility to compensate folks that are just doing their job. Again, a tip is supposed to be a small token for personalized service or providing something a little extra. It is not supposed to make up the bulk of someone's salary. That is the responsibility of the business owner.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 10th, 2013 at 10:57:40 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

It is not supposed to make up the bulk of someone's salary. That is the responsibility of the business owner.

Of course, the flip side is that if tips weren't commonplace, prices would be inflated to reflect the required higher wages/salaries. And, us consumers would have no method by which to differentiate the compensation paid for good/average/bad service.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 10th, 2013 at 11:03:25 AM permalink

Of course, the flip side is that if tips weren't commonplace, prices would be inflated to reflect the required higher wages/salaries. And, us consumers would have no method by which to differentiate the compensation paid for good/average/bad service.

In theory this is correct, rdw, and if it really worked that way, I would protest less. But it really don't work that way. The price of the meal isn't lower to reflect this. The price remains just as high as the restaurant thinks the consumer will pay. All that is happening is the owner makes a few extra bucks by evading this cost and responsibility.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 10th, 2013 at 2:12:11 PM permalink

Slightly off topic, but mad as heck...

I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

How did she look wearing your dinner?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 10th, 2013 at 2:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

In theory this is correct, rdw, and if it really worked that way, I would protest less. But it really don't work that way. The price of the meal isn't lower to reflect this. The price remains just as high as the restaurant thinks the consumer will pay. All that is happening is the owner makes a few extra bucks by evading this cost and responsibility.

I think what he meant is that if tipping were eliminated tomorrow and servers given a wage increase, then there would be an immediate increase in prices to compensate.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 10th, 2013 at 2:21:42 PM permalink

There's a tip jar at the Wendy's in my neighborhood. It's right next to the collection box for the Dave Thomas foundation (this may be the wrong name, but there's a giant picture of Dave on the front of the thing...). I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

Are you serious?? Did she say it jokingly? Even if she did, that's still freakin outrageous. I'd call corporate about something like that.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
June 10th, 2013 at 2:22:15 PM permalink
I'll usually tip rather haphazardly on takeout - basically, $1 for anything less than $10 (which it usually is), and then 10-15% after. From the 99, etc., it used to be a flat 15% for me, but I don't really get takeout from such places anymore, but usually just wraps or lo mein - not really fast food, but only so much a "real restaurant."
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 10th, 2013 at 3:16:34 PM permalink

I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

Wow. I am always putting the change in the donation box or in my pocket at a place like Wendy's. Never in a tip jar in a restaurant. The only time I think I have tossed tips in a tip jar is at bars.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
June 10th, 2013 at 3:23:49 PM permalink
Great topic. I had this internal struggle on Saturday. Bill was 28 bucks for carry out. I think I gave $3 tip. Which seems pretty reasonable.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 10th, 2013 at 3:26:39 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Are you serious?? Did she say it jokingly? Even if she did, that's still freakin outrageous. I'd call corporate about something like that.

Yes, I'm serious. And no, she was not joking. I'm pretty sure she's also unemployed now.
djatc
djatc
June 10th, 2013 at 3:27:15 PM permalink
I still don't understand tipping on takeout. I purposely get takeout just so I don't have to tip at times.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 10th, 2013 at 3:27:56 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

I think what he meant is that if tipping were eliminated tomorrow and servers given a wage increase, then there would be an immediate increase in prices to compensate.

Yes, exactly.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 10th, 2013 at 4:30:45 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Great topic. I had this internal struggle on Saturday. Bill was 28 bucks for carry out. I think I gave $3 tip. Which seems pretty reasonable.

I have tipped Chinese restaurants before because some places seem to depend on them and for some dumb reason never raise prices in years. Sometimes once I start tipping I can't stop, so I might stay away because of this dilemma which makes no sense. Either way, I think I feel uncomfortable going to this Chinese place to order carryout. Almost enough to drive ten minutes away, on a combined trip, to order somewhere else where I have no history
I am a robot.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 10th, 2013 at 5:47:36 PM permalink

Yes, I'm serious. And no, she was not joking. I'm pretty sure she's also unemployed now.

Man, that is totally outrageous. I can't believe the nerve of some people out there. If such an unexpected remark had been aimed at me, I would have literally been speechless, thinking to myself, "Did that really just happen?" Anyway, glad to hear she got what was coming.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
June 10th, 2013 at 7:36:38 PM permalink

Really!?

I don't know how other places work... but the tip jar at the pizza place is divided up among the two guys in the kitchen and the guy at the cash register who also cleans the tables.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 10th, 2013 at 7:40:36 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I don't know how other places work... but the tip jar at the pizza place is divided up among the two guys in the kitchen and the guy at the cash register who also cleans the tables.

So what?

Maybe I'll put a "tip jar" in the reception area.

You know, for the janitor, the window washer, the elevator repairman ...
"What, me worry?"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 10th, 2013 at 7:42:40 PM permalink

Really!?

I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. I tip my alcohol guy for helping me plan and coordinate with meals, events, etc. If the person selling you a loaf of bread engages in actual salesmanship and helps you select the bread, is that tip-worthy?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
June 10th, 2013 at 7:45:10 PM permalink

So what?

Maybe I'll put a "tip jar" in the reception area.

You know, for the janitor, the window washer, the elevator repairman ...

Why not? You might start a trend.

May I change the subject slightly and mention tips in casinos? I found out something that they do at Hollywood Park -- the card casino here in LA -- that I didn't realize was going on. Once a week the poker dealers and the dealers at the various "California games" such as blackjack, 3 Card Poker, etc., share a percentage of their tips with other casino workers who normally do not get tips. Managers are exempted from this "share pool," by the way.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 10th, 2013 at 7:48:54 PM permalink
I have a different perspective. If a company wants me to buy their bread they better provide someone knowledgeable to sell me their product or I will go elsewhere.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 11th, 2013 at 7:38:27 AM permalink

Tipping the counter person who sells me a loaf of bread makes about as much sense as tipping a bartender who simply opens my beer. I never do it.

OTOH, places like Subway have tip jars out on the counter when you first order your food. I've found sticking a buck in there at the time I order will get me more ingredients on my sandwich. Meats are portion-controlled, but when I say "more red onion, more ranch!" they comply with a smile, not a sneer, so in the end my sandwich actually looks close to the ones in their ads.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 11th, 2013 at 8:31:54 AM permalink
Quote: rainman

I have a different perspective. If a company wants me to buy their bread they better provide someone knowledgeable to sell me their product or I will go elsewhere.

You need help buying bread?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...haha)
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
June 11th, 2013 at 8:56:28 AM permalink
The other day i did a carryout special from Pizza Hut. The total bill was something like $6.50. I paid with a gift card and I was in a good mood so I put a $1 tip on it.

Since I paid with a gift card, the receipt showed the initial balance, then subtracted the amount due and listed the remaining balance. Then below that was the line where I could add tip and another blank line below that for adjusted remaining balance. I filled out both correctly.

As I was going out to the car, the counter employee came out to show me the receipt. He said something to the effect of 'OK i want to make sure this is what you intended, $1 tip..." I said "Yes" and went on my way. I am pretty sure he was just verifying with me that I had filled it out correctly but you never know I suppose.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 11th, 2013 at 1:45:06 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

As I was going out to the car, the counter employee came out to show me the receipt. He said something to the effect of 'OK i want to make sure this is what you intended, $1 tip..."

That's a good employee right there. Most people would have just taken the money without a second thought.
djatc
djatc
June 12th, 2013 at 4:54:47 PM permalink
No more tipping for $100+ sushi
  • Jump to: