kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 203
June 10th, 2013 at 10:47:54 AM permalink
I always considered myself a decent tipper, but I guess I am not. I guess I am a cheap wad. It just would never occur to me to tip take out. ??? I tip service oriented jobs that are providing a service individually to me, like waiter, bartender, bellhop, taxi cab driver, food delivery guy. I don't tip someone that is just doing their job and/or providing a service to a larger group of people that I am one of. That is not individual service.

So, I will tip a cab driver that provides a service for me individually, but I will not tip a bus driver, even a shuttle driver that is just doing his job, driving for a group. He has an employer that should pay his salary.

Now, when when staying at a hotel, if I call down asking for something special like more towels, I tip. I will also tip the maid, who cleans up my room during a multi-day stay. She is providing a service for me. BUT I will not leave a tip for the maid for cleaning the room after I have departed. That is not a service for me. I could care less if they clean the room. That is part of the hotel doing business and not my responsibility.

Restaurants: First of all, I don't like how the restaurant industry has been able to push off it's responsibility to compensate their employee onto the customer. A tip should be an extra couple bucks for providing better than average service. It should not be the bulk of the waiters salary. But, this seems to be the way society has gone, so I have no choice. I leave my 20%. It does irk me a little that a portion of that tip goes towards busing the table. Again, as in my hotel example, I could care less if they bus the table after I am gone. Isn't that part of doing business. I mean if they think they can serve the next people without cleaning, so be it. lol

Now buffets are even trickier. The server brings a drink and buses the table. I have already mentioned how I feel about the busing the table part, so I guess I am tipping for bringing my drink. ?? And some buffets, like Circus Circus for example, you even get your own drink. Exactly what am I tipping that server for??

I guess the bottom line is that I am not the decent tipper that I thought I was because I don't feel it is my responsibility to compensate folks that are just doing their job. Again, a tip is supposed to be a small token for personalized service or providing something a little extra. It is not supposed to make up the bulk of someone's salary. That is the responsibility of the business owner.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 10th, 2013 at 10:57:40 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

It is not supposed to make up the bulk of someone's salary. That is the responsibility of the business owner.

Of course, the flip side is that if tips weren't commonplace, prices would be inflated to reflect the required higher wages/salaries. And, us consumers would have no method by which to differentiate the compensation paid for good/average/bad service.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 203
June 10th, 2013 at 11:03:25 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Of course, the flip side is that if tips weren't commonplace, prices would be inflated to reflect the required higher wages/salaries. And, us consumers would have no method by which to differentiate the compensation paid for good/average/bad service.

In theory this is correct, rdw, and if it really worked that way, I would protest less. But it really don't work that way. The price of the meal isn't lower to reflect this. The price remains just as high as the restaurant thinks the consumer will pay. All that is happening is the owner makes a few extra bucks by evading this cost and responsibility.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 10th, 2013 at 2:12:11 PM permalink

Slightly off topic, but mad as heck...

I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

How did she look wearing your dinner?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 10th, 2013 at 2:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

In theory this is correct, rdw, and if it really worked that way, I would protest less. But it really don't work that way. The price of the meal isn't lower to reflect this. The price remains just as high as the restaurant thinks the consumer will pay. All that is happening is the owner makes a few extra bucks by evading this cost and responsibility.

I think what he meant is that if tipping were eliminated tomorrow and servers given a wage increase, then there would be an immediate increase in prices to compensate.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 10th, 2013 at 2:21:42 PM permalink

There's a tip jar at the Wendy's in my neighborhood. It's right next to the collection box for the Dave Thomas foundation (this may be the wrong name, but there's a giant picture of Dave on the front of the thing...). I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

Are you serious?? Did she say it jokingly? Even if she did, that's still freakin outrageous. I'd call corporate about something like that.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
June 10th, 2013 at 2:22:15 PM permalink
I'll usually tip rather haphazardly on takeout - basically, $1 for anything less than $10 (which it usually is), and then 10-15% after. From the 99, etc., it used to be a flat 15% for me, but I don't really get takeout from such places anymore, but usually just wraps or lo mein - not really fast food, but only so much a "real restaurant."
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 10th, 2013 at 3:16:34 PM permalink

I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...

Wow. I am always putting the change in the donation box or in my pocket at a place like Wendy's. Never in a tip jar in a restaurant. The only time I think I have tossed tips in a tip jar is at bars.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
June 10th, 2013 at 3:23:49 PM permalink
Great topic. I had this internal struggle on Saturday. Bill was 28 bucks for carry out. I think I gave $3 tip. Which seems pretty reasonable.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 10th, 2013 at 3:26:39 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Are you serious?? Did she say it jokingly? Even if she did, that's still freakin outrageous. I'd call corporate about something like that.

Yes, I'm serious. And no, she was not joking. I'm pretty sure she's also unemployed now.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett

• Jump to: