Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
June 10th, 2013 at 7:43:31 AM permalink
I ask the person handing me the takeout to check the order. Once he/she does that, I tip about 10% rounded to the nearest dollar. On a $44 or $46 takeout, I would hand over $50 and call it even. On a $14 takeout I would hand over $15. The up side of this is that my orders get checked and I get remembered. My takeouts are always right.
NO KILL I
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
June 10th, 2013 at 8:17:26 AM permalink
If I am ordering the food myself and picking it up at the counter, I have done all the service myself, so no tip is necessary.
People may tip for this, but since no service is given out of the ordinary, it is wrong to tip because it is not earned.
If you tip for this, you're not tipping, you're just giving money away. It's not tipping, it's charity.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
June 10th, 2013 at 8:33:50 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

If I am ordering the food myself and picking it up at the counter, I have done all the service myself, so no tip is necessary.
People may tip for this, but since no service is given out of the ordinary, it is wrong to tip because it is not earned.
If you tip for this, you're not tipping, you're just giving money away. It's not tipping, it's charity.

My scenario above is on phone orders. But I would do that on any order where I didn't see it being built. For example, if I watch the guy take my pepperoni pizza out of the oven, and make the meatball sub and put it in the bag, then no tip. I saw that I was getting what I ordered.
NO KILL I
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 10th, 2013 at 8:37:35 AM permalink
I'm glad to see some others are as hard headed about this as I am.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 10th, 2013 at 8:38:37 AM permalink
Slightly off topic, but mad as heck...

There's a tip jar at the Wendy's in my neighborhood. It's right next to the collection box for the Dave Thomas foundation (this may be the wrong name, but there's a giant picture of Dave on the front of the thing...). I paid in cash last night, and received $0.97 in change. I put the change in the donation box and the cashier called me a mother-fornicator, apparently for not tipping her. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that I called the franchisee on my way home...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 97
June 10th, 2013 at 8:40:12 AM permalink
I had a special take-out order from a sushi place once that needed special packing and I asked for some extra sauces and stuff. In that case I tipped for the take out.

Never used a curb side take out but a small tip there for the guy/gal who brings the bags to the car makes sense.

There is a pizza place where I regularly order to-go food and I usually put a dollar in the tip jar at the cash register. But we take out from there sometimes once a week and they're good guys and always do the orders right.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
June 10th, 2013 at 8:45:37 AM permalink
Not to be too much the curmudgeon, but I don't enjoy seeing "tip jars" on the counters of bakeries and similar places where the only "waiting" is done by a counter person.

Should I tip someone for selling me a loaf or bread?

Really!?
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
June 10th, 2013 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

There is a pizza place where I regularly order to-go food and I usually put a dollar in the tip jar at the cash register. But we take out from there sometimes once a week and they're good guys and always do the orders right.

I love it!

I've had conversations go like this, when I haven't felt like taking the kids out of the car:

"Will this be for pick-up or delivery?"

"Delivery."

"Address?"

"Your parking lot, silver PT Cruiser, I'll call you when I get there."

"What!?"

"I want you to deliver it to your own parking lot. You'll be tipped, I'll even ask for you specifically, when I call, if I can have your name."
Vultures can't be choosers.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
June 10th, 2013 at 8:59:08 AM permalink
I tip zero for takeout. Maybe let them keep the change. No point and leaves more money to tip the craps crew.

Actually if matters little as I avoid takeout.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
June 10th, 2013 at 10:13:30 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Not to be too much the curmudgeon, but I don't enjoy seeing "tip jars" on the counters of bakeries and similar places where the only "waiting" is done by a counter person.

Should I tip someone for selling me a loaf or bread?

Really!?

Couldn't agree more. I'm a frequenter of Dunkin Donuts for the coffee...which I get black. There is a tip jar right at the register. Literally all they do is put the coffee in the cup and put on a lid. It takes about 10 seconds. I'm supposed to tip for this?...really? That said I usally let them keep the silver which is a whoppin .20 But it's ridiculous to expect a tip at the counter of Dunkin Donuts.

Lets run the numbers. 10 seconds a pour...= 6 a minute X .20=$1.20 per minute x60 per hour = $72.00 per hour for pouring coffee.

• Jump to: